The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Best ALL-SOLID wood nylon string guitars NOT made in Asia?

Aloha,

Longtime & now former pro steel-string player here who now must move to nylon strings for health reasons.

I need recommendations on all-solid-wood nylon string guitars under $3000 - luthier-made (Ha! I know - good luck!) or manufactured. Minimum of 2" nut & 2-3/8" saddle spacings please (huge hands.) No need for on-board electronics. And Please, nothing made anywhere in Asia.

Many AGF players seem to like Cordoba's. But I've never played one that was inspiring at all - at any level - based on the merits of each axe, not name or price. And I never see Island giggers here playing them either. Other brands?

Over the last 45 years, I've made 16 classical guitars on commission for players (& 220 steel-strings). But, none recently. I'm tempted to try & make my own (an all Port-Orford Cedar adventure is beckoning). But at 71, the same neuropathy issues that affect my playing also limit me in the shop as well. It could take years if I finish it at all.

So my brothers, your expert suggestions would be most welcomed by this old timer. Any brand or style of solid-wood nylon string guitars.

Mahalo a nui,

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 04-22-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:51 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

For a reasonably-priced Spanish classical, I like Alhambra guitars, but no idea what you'd be able to get for under $3K in Hawaii - worth contacting them directly, maybe, to see what suppliers might be worth considering. You could go cheap and look at the Alhambra 9P (http://dulcetguitars.com/products/alhambra-9p) or if you're feeling spendy check out the 11P and the Linea Profesional (http://www.xguitars.com/alhambra-cla...s-in-stock.php). I don't know if either of these places offers a testing period, but I assume they're serious companies that stand behind their products. Good luck in your search, I'm sure you'll wind up with something amazing!
Old 04-22-2017, 09:20 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Taylor hybrids?
Old 04-22-2017, 10:20 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Taylor hybrids?
I think they're all less than 2" at the nut, but I could be wrong on that. You'd be looking at the 300- or 400- series to keep it under $3K.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:08 AM

Chris,

You mentioned that you haven't been impressed by Cordoba guitars you've played, but I'm wondering if you've had a chance to check out the Cordoba Master Series guitars. I've owned some very nice ($5K+) luthier-built guitars in the past, and my Cordoba Torres is right up there with the very best. They're constructed in California and the team of four luthiers trained under Kenny Hill. These guitars are basically the Hill Master Series guitars of years past (I owned a KH Master Series). My Cordoba Torres has a 51mm nut and sounds fantastic. I landed mine for a just a tad under 3K with a professional set-up. I'm a big KH fan and I've owned other Cordobas (C9, C12). Believe me, the Cordoba Master Series are a significant step up and feel/play much like the old KH Master Series guitars.

Other than that, I'd keep my eye on the Delcamp "classical guitars for sale" section and wait for a good opportunity under 3K.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I'll second the recommendation of Alhambra. I have a 7P that I paid something like $1800 fore 8-9 years ago and it is a very nice classical. It has a Spruce top (but I think Cedar is also available) and solid EIR back and sides. Nut is just over 2" (52mm if I remember correctly).

YMMV,
Dave
Old 04-25-2017, 12:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks For The Suggestions

Aloha,

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I've been doing a little follow up research on them.

No, I have never seen or heard any of the Master's level Cordobas like the Torres. Sounds like a whole 'other animal compared to their mass-produced models. Nice clips. Even looks more refined design-wise.

The same with Alhambra's. I didn't realize that they produced higher level nylon string models either.

Hawaii has no pro-level, higher-end audio or instrument suppliers. Occasionally you see something hand-built on Craig's list that's interesting, but rarely. The truth is that most local players don't care about better grades of anything. That's why suppliers carry mostly plywood guitars here. So it looks like it's time for a trip to LA. I used to go a couple times every year auditioning mic's & gear for recording. Now I have some motivation to hit the classical salons.

Never really liked any of Bob Taylor's nylon string guitars (or his terrible pickup systems). They are not his priority & it shows. Plus I need a wider nut & saddle.

Wish I could afford one of Robert Ruck's gems. He's a friend (used to live on Kauai) who is one of the world's best & most prolific classical & flamenco luthiers. But I couldn't afford that level ($15K+) & my situation doesn't even really warrant it.

Thank you for the links as well, guys. Very helpful.

Still exploring my options before I decide to buy or build. My hands can't wait long though.

Mahalo a nui, friends. Your suggestions are most welcomed & very helpful!

alohachris
Old 04-25-2017, 03:30 AM

Lowden jazz series.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 04-25-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
Lowden jazz series.
The OP said he wants a 2" or wider nut. The Lowden is 1-7/8".

Dave
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I own a G.V. Rubio Estudio that is a fantastic guitar, within your budget, and just an incredible value IMHO. Truly handcrafted with all solid woods by renowned classical guitar builder German Vazquez Rubio.

Here is mine (European Spruce Top & Palo Escrito back and sides):

And a short video about the builder:

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

You may want to check out the Cervantes Crossover II model.
I have one of those. The standard spec one is in your ball park budget wise, and they are fine instruments. He operates out of San Diego.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-25-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

There is a TJ based luthier named Luis Sevillano who makes nice classical guitars at a very reasonable price point. He can be hard to track down, but you can find some of his guitars around. I know that Lightning Joe's in San Luis Obispo had a few used Sevillanos in stock, but that has been awhile.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 PM

Francisco Navarro guitars. The US distributor is in Houston at Memorial Music. You could almost get a special grand concert model for $3k that would be a single builder instrument. The concert model is even less thought I no longer know if he builds these by himself. Ron Hudson at Memorial will know. I am familiar with the flamenco models but the classicals seem well regarded too.

If you are willing to go without an audition, this might be a way to go. Hudson is knowledgeable and can talk you through a purchase.

hunter
Old 04-25-2017, 07:29 PM

The best bang for your buck, in my opinion, are the Pavan guitars, especially the TP-30. It is made with all solid woods: a spruce or cedar top and Indian rosewood back & ribs.

http://www.pavanguitars.com/

Last edited by JCPO; 04-25-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM

I'm going to guess that you haven't checked out Frary Classical Guitar in Honolulu?

They had some nice classical guitars there when I visited them last year while on vacation.

If recall correctly, they are authorized distributors for Hirade, Alhambra and some of other manufacturers that have been mentioned in this thread. A substantial part of their inventory was student level type guitars, but they had some really nice concert level guitars.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical