The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
One of the problems with the Godin Multiac guitar is that you cannot just make a blanket statement about their sound without specifying the model you are talking about. There are many models with many different PU systems in them. Not to mention all the different body types!! The most common pickup used in them is the rmc PUs, which are somewhat quacky... as mentioned. Then there is the Fishman digital processing PUs used on the Ambiance series.. Then there is the Godin (homegrown) PUs used on the Encore series.. and a couple more.. The body construction is either dual chambered mahogany or solid mahogany... it could have a spruce top or a cedar top.. etc. etc.. The options are many and varied, so it is best to try and play what you are thinking of buying and since you have stated that you are not close to a Godin dealer, you might have a problem with that. Whatever you buy, you should be able to return it, because you might not like it and that goes for any guitar you might buy.
Very helpful. Which Godin would you suggest I look at first. You seem to have a good handle on those guitars. To show my confusion, I have even considered the Godin Montreal and it was recommended by Godin themselves when I explained what I want it for. They said that I could get some nice classical guitar sounds from it as well as many other sounds given the pickups and controls on board. In the Multiac series, which Godin do you like for crossing over from acoustic electric to nylon string for some intricate rhythm playing, my style, given what you said about chambered versus solid, pickups, etc? Thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 06:57 AM

I sure like my Godin Multiac Nylon dual chambered model. It is NOT the Godin Muliac ACS model.. You may be tempted to get the slim neck... but DON"T... The best nut width for crossover is the 1 7/8 inch.. the slim neck on the multiac nylon is just too narrow for nylon strings.. IMHO
If you are kind of tight for money then you could try the multiac nylon Encore series.. They have the same 1 7/8 inch nut width, but the body and electronics are cheaper... and thus the guitar is quite a bit less expensive. It is still a nice guitar, but it just doesn't have the quality of the original Multiac Nylon dual chambered model.
I know this is all confusing... You really should try to get your hands on a couple. On top of all this... they keep coming out with new models!! Just make sure you either play before you buy or at least be able to return what you don't like...
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I agree. I think Godin Multiacs are excellent guitars but they do need to be plugged in. I also agree that Taylor NS guitars, while being electric and acoustic, are a little disappointing unplugged. A really superb crossover acoustic electric nylon string guitar I played recently was the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro. Solid European spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, and a 1 7/8" nut. I never got to try the electronics but the acoustic sound was great. Street price is $1,199 so it's not too hard on the pocket, either, when compared to Taylors.
I have to agree with Ewalling, here.

I have owned a Taylor NS34CE and I have played the Godin Multiac. Both sound good plugged in, the Taylor sounds better than the Godin acoustically, but it was not very satisfying compared to a good classical.

I currently own a Taylor NS74CE and gave the NS34CE to my son. The NS74CE sounds way better than the NS34CE, but I think the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro is even better and certainly costs less.

- Glenn
Old 10-11-2011, 03:08 PM

I would echo the comments above on the Taylor N32 crossover...its pretty average at best and the electronics are no where near as developed as the higher end Godin offerings.. but sound better acoustically than the Godins. Unless your a Taylor worshipper, and there are reasons to be, I'd skip this offering on the nylon in favor of a Godin and get synth access as well on the sa models. I found the Godin largely useless for any percussive styles of play and the acoustic sound is just not there unplugged though.. if this is what you need or want, then the Cordoba fusion series, which are fan braced, will give you the better of both worlds at a price point that wont break the bank.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have to agree with Ewalling, here.

I have owned a Taylor NS34CE and I have played the Godin Multiac. Both sound good plugged in, the Taylor sounds better than the Godin acoustically, but it was not very satisfying compared to a good classical.

I currently own a Taylor NS74CE and gave the NS34CE to my son. The NS74CE sounds way better than the NS34CE, but I think the Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro is even better and certainly costs less.

- Glenn
This was my experience too. I was completely underwhelmed by the other models but the NS72ce just had this clarity with enough warmth to keep me interested acoustically. It's still not as good as the classical guitars I have, but I try to judge it in it's own right, as a nylon'ized steel string. In that sense the guitar has a certain spark to it. The neck felt right and it was great plugged in.

As I said earlier in this post though, I do like the mic images in my Godin Grand Concert Duet (Fishman elec, 2" nut) for plugged in work. Often I record my finals using the Godin directly from it's output. Works well.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Michaels View Post
Very helpful. Which Godin would you suggest I look at first. You seem to have a good handle on those guitars. To show my confusion, I have even considered the Godin Montreal and it was recommended by Godin themselves when I explained what I want it for. They said that I could get some nice classical guitar sounds from it as well as many other sounds given the pickups and controls on board. In the Multiac series, which Godin do you like for crossing over from acoustic electric to nylon string for some intricate rhythm playing, my style, given what you said about chambered versus solid, pickups, etc? Thanks
FYI. The recording of the Godin I posted earlier is the hollow chamber with RMCs and synth access.

Chris
Old 10-29-2011, 07:45 AM

I have owned both. The Godin I thought sounded ok but did not like the way it played with the neck joining the body at the 14th fret. It felt big and cumbersome. The Taylor had Fishman electronics, did not like the plugged in tone. I bit the bullet and bought a Kirk Sand Mahogany model. I also have a Cervantes Crossover 1 with a Higlander system. For bang for the buck, the Cervantes is the best thing I have found and I think I have tried just about everything out there.

Last edited by b3l5tele; 10-29-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 AM

Default 13pin advantages and Polybass

Hi
I would like to remind that the Godin Multiac models with 13pin DIN output have fare more advantages than allowing MIDI:
- supply without battery
- polyphonic effects which go far beyond ordinary effects and do not have the latency problems of MIDI
- the Paradis Polybass board which adds a clean in phase integrated octave down single bass line and a noise free preamp into the instrument!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:59 PM

I'm very happy with my Godin Multiac Grand concert SA. It is nylon stringed but you can use a pick without damaging it. There are many awesome things you can do with the synth port. I have mine hooked up to a Roland gr 55. When you are plugged in the wide body of the taylor seems obsolete. But, the playability of the Godin is outstanding. It is so responsive and even unplugged it sounds good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical