The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-23-2017, 11:27 AM

Default What An Open Championship

Oh, my goodness. What a final round of a major. Spieth is an animal.
Old 07-23-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Oh, my goodness. What a final round of a major. Spieth is an animal.
You could definitely see the difference in mindset those last 4 holes vs. Matt. Matt playing out of fear. Fear of holding the lead, of losing, of embarrassment. And Spieth with that silent killer instinct of the hunt, I will beat the odds, I will win, I will go for the pin, I will not be denied.

And all that after one of the worst tee shots by a professional. Taking a record I think of over 25 minutes to play one hole! Didn't effect him one ounce. Amazing confidence.

Nicklaus, Palmer, Trevino, Woods had that gift. Very few. You can almost see it.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
You could definitely see the difference in mindset those last 4 holes vs. Matt. Matt playing out of fear. Fear of holding the lead, of losing, of embarrassment.
I didn't see anything like that in Kuchar's play. Speith just played an amazing final 4 holes when it looked like his wheels had totally fallen off. It was an astonishing comeback.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:35 PM

After that near-30 minute delay for the 13th hole unplayable, he could have easily had a "Spieth"-down and come apart. Great job, especially for a 23 year old. Great comeback.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:09 PM

I don't think Kuch played out of fear, I think Spieth just turned on a switch. I've seen Kuch hit on the range. He hits a high cut. It's not a shot that bores into the wind. Spieth is far more comfortable hitting a draw. They didn't show the ball tracker on his 6 iron on 14, but from the landing you could tell it wasn't a cut. When it mattered, the golfer who controlled his ball flight the best won.

The other obvious diff coming down the stretch was the flat stick and when he's on Jordan is deadly with it.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 07-23-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

"What a weapon that putter is."
That's a quote from Johnny Miller after Spieth birdied the 17th to match Kutcher's birdie.
Kutch played well. He was leading by one shot with 5 holes to go, and then went 2 under the rest of the way. Most times, that would be good enough to win the tournament.
He just had the misfortune of playing someone who went 5 under over those same holes.
Who does that.
Jordan Spieth is some kind of talent. That was incredible golf.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 PM

Great win for Jordan. Hope he closes out the Slam in Charlotte!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:45 PM

I agree, to cut down Kuch as playing in fear not to lose, I did not see that at all. He was better than everyone who played in the tourney, but for Jordan. Jordan is very special and the shot on the par 3 that was nearly a hole in one which followed the terrible bogie hole and errant tee shot turned it around for him. Kuch did not lose because of this play, he lost because Spieth played some once in a lifetime golf over the final few holes and his putting was amazing considering the situation.

I was rooting for both of them, I am a big fan of Jordan, but also really wanted Kuchnar to win his first major, it would be tough to find a nicer guy in the sport!
Old 07-23-2017, 07:59 PM

I am not cutting down Matt. To me he all of a sudden looked timid, that fear down in your gut. I saw it in his face and demeanor. Where as Spieth's demeanor after the bogey looked totally different. Super positive, committed aggressive. Just my take.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:15 PM

JS was in a zone on the last few holes! Matt played really well (hey, he just won an Olympic Bronze medal!), but he ran into a buzzsaw. It's the same thing that happened to Phil in last year's Open. Mickelson goes to -17, shoots a 6-under final round, and still looses to a machine-like Hank Stenson, who shot 8-under. I was able to watch this year's Sunday round, and it was a classic. They both ran away from the rest of the field, almost as bad as the two leaders did last year. Jordan's putting was amazing, but don't forget Greller's contributions. I think that he did a good job to help calm Speith, and he once again proved his value to their team. One more major to go for the Slam, and he's only 23...wow.
2018 Larrivee Custom OM-10 Rosewood/Alpine Moon Spruce/Torch inlay
2018 Taylor 524ce LTD NAMM Show all-walnut
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Yep, that was an amazing final round to what could have been a boring "walk" of a last day at the Open... it was anything but boring!

Jordan played mediocre for a fair number of holes, and downright poorly for a few... and then played like a master for the last 5! Quite proud of the young man...

I was kind of looking forward to being able to say that I caddied for a Major Champion - I caddied for Matt when he came to Cypress Point in 2008 - but, in the end, Jordan came right out and won the thing... Matt didn't "lose it"... he actually played a solid last round and got beat.

If nothing else, today was proof positive that, while there's no denying the power of a long driver of the golf ball, the ultimate weapon is the Putter... Jordan basically scraped it around today (for him), but that putter saved his bacon... and won him the World Open Championship!

Terrific final round! What tremendous theatre!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-24-2017, 05:14 AM

All I know is that I want Michael Greller (Spieth's caddy) to be my best friend.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:10 PM

Spieth is a cool player. I'm hoping he gets the last slam leg, too.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-25-2017, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

For those who missed it here's a recap:
- Spieth, a proven major winner, starts the final round with a 3 shot lead over his playing partner Kuchar, who is two shots clear of the rest of the field with the next best score being -6.
- In championship fashion Kuchar, with the added pressure of never winning a major in an almost 20 year career, shoots 1 under par. Spieth, being a tested champion matches his playing partner, winning by 3 shots. No one else in the field gets lower than 6 under.
TALK ABOUT A SNOOZEFEST!

Just kidding it was pretty incredible to watch in real time. Makes me wonder what I might have missed from some of the championships back before there was any real video coverage
Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 PM

Spieth has what I call Texas Tough attitude. Everyone I've met from Texas seem to have some kind of Texas swaggar. Seriously! It's like some kind of you can't hold me down I'll find away attitude and get it done. Maybe it's because everything's bigger in Texas they just seem to have big goals big dreams and know that they can achieve it. I think it's fantastic. I've seen it in too many friends that I've met from Texas to think it's a fluke.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic