The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Default This latest X-Finity upgrade may be the last straw

For some reason, the Windows 10 and Comcast X-Finity updates occurred at once this past week(s) or so. The updated 3 in 1 cable modem they sent me has all sort of quota measurements, tracking tools. The cable modem I got can be used as a Hot Spot as well, even though I don't want to, it seems that they could still have me set up that way.

Next, my Windows LIVE 2011 email client starts preventing me from sending emails, I can still get emails just fine. I called Comcast to verify the Port # and it all checks out, but I'm sure that this email client will be going Bye Bye.

Oh well, what better time to seriously considering cutting the chord with Comcast, but it's tough, since I have all my service(s) integrated with them,

H
Old 09-29-2016, 02:21 PM

Just get your own cable modem. You don't want to send them $10 a month anyhow. That's what I've been doing for years.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-29-2016, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

The Comcast cable modem router with wifi is low quality. In addition to the wifi signal you can use and password protect, they piggyback a second wireless connection on it that other Comcast customers can access. We had nothing but problems with it, with the wireless signal cutting in and out randomly.

You will have much better performance returning it for the dedicated Comcast modem without wifi. Or you can take the suggestion to buy your own modem.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 09-29-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
The Comcast cable modem router with wifi is low quality. In addition to the wifi signal you can use and password protect, they piggyback a second wireless connection on it that other Comcast customers can access. We had nothing but problems with it, with the wireless signal cutting in and out randomly.

You will have much better performance returning it for the dedicated Comcast modem without wifi. Or you can take the suggestion to buy your own modem.
Thank you for that information. Now that makes sense, the primary wireless connection would be for my Lap Top, and since I don't use a mobile phone, I can just not download the Wi-Fi Hotspot Access software.

What gets me is I have to find a new e-mail Client besides Windows LIVE 2011, not sure if that's pretty much on the outs. Laptops in general are pretty much on the outs, I refuse to move into the modern mobile smart phone movement,

H
Old 09-29-2016, 04:02 PM

I've been playing around with eM Client as a new email client that plays nice with Windows 10. There is a free version that supports just a couple mail services and a non-free one if you want to connect it to several email providers. Might be worth it to check it out. So far I've liked it for the most part
Old 09-29-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley View Post
I've been playing around with eM Client as a new email client that plays nice with Windows 10. There is a free version that supports just a couple mail services and a non-free one if you want to connect it to several email providers. Might be worth it to check it out. So far I've liked it for the most part
Thank you for everyone's input, I just found out I had to update to Windows LIVE 2012, I think this will correct the problem, but I'm getting responses from people I don't know that I am spreading spam, wonder if I'm infected, yeesh,

Re: YOU HAVE ONE NOTIFICATION!

Great, I'm probably victim of a Yahoo hack job,

H
Old 09-30-2016, 06:58 AM

You probably got the anniversary update to Windows 10. The newer mail client in it should serve fine for any common mail service and type.

I get dragged into the mess of home office via solutions for our c suite staff and helping employees. For nearly all ISPs I suggest using their "modem" as a bridge to a quality home combo that's router, firewall and wireless bridge. Apple's AirPort line has been working very well for that. It's quality product, isn't in the millions with unpatched software, and the ac protocol models are very powerful.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
...I have to find a new e-mail Client besides Windows LIVE 2011, ....
H
I've got an idea for you if you want to move to another solution:
My muoltiple email accounts are all (but one) set up to forward all incoming mail to a single mailbox.

I am a big fan of gmail.

I use different accoutn s for different reasons and if there is a hack, the impact isn't to all my accounts.

maybe that's an idea you can work with.

The google account gives you mail, and also the google docs which can be handy, and the calendar is a darn handy bit as well.

THe Windows live email client seems designed to handle multiple email accounts. Is that what you are dealing with?

At the office, I use Outlook mail client to manage multiple business related addresses.

ggod luk!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 09-30-2016, 07:46 AM

The Xfinity Wifi hot spot can be disabled online (Xfinity My Account). It's the equivalent of a "guest account" on any router. Separate from your network, and throttled back.

You can bridge the data/Cable/phone modem to your own router (admin settings on the router). You need their modem if you have their phone service.

And the coincidence of a Windows update and your Comcast service upgrade are just that. You are likely blaming Comcast for a Windows problem.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:31 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I think Rusty Axe is correct, this was more of a Windows Update problem than a Comcast problem. I updated to Windows LIVE 2012 and ran a full virus scan.

Looks like I'm back in the saddle.

H
Old 09-30-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I've got an idea for you if you want to move to another solution:
My muoltiple email accounts are all (but one) set up to forward all incoming mail to a single mailbox.

I am a big fan of gmail.

I use different accoutn s for different reasons and if there is a hack, the impact isn't to all my accounts.

maybe that's an idea you can work with.

The google account gives you mail, and also the google docs which can be handy, and the calendar is a darn handy bit as well.

THe Windows live email client seems designed to handle multiple email accounts. Is that what you are dealing with?

At the office, I use Outlook mail client to manage multiple business related addresses.

ggod luk!
Thank you for your suggestions. I do have a Gmail account. The problem comes in with added storage folders. Gmail does not give you the flexibility on managing email volume. I get close to 50 valid messages that I actually need to read each day. Of which, I probably have to file 1/2 of those into different folder paths.

I guess Windows LIVE 2012 is valid until Jan 2017, so I have a few more months to again decide which email client I jump to next,

H

Currently, my Windows LIVE 2012 client does have more than one email account. I think that was partly the problem. I like your idea of filtering all emails to one account, but which account would that be? I really like Google Docs and GMail, but I'm still a bit leary about how much security you have on the cloud and saving your personal documents there. I guess I'm just a scaredee kat,
Old 09-30-2016, 10:08 AM

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for email, embedded Sunbird for calendar, and use Firefox for browsing. I've been with them for years. Even ported to my iMac when I finally ditched Windows after retiring from an IT career. Thunderbird could help you get your email organized and manageable.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for email, embedded Sunbird for calendar, and use Firefox for browsing. I've been with them for years. Even ported to my iMac when I finally ditched Windows after retiring from an IT career. Thunderbird could help you get your email organized and manageable.
my IT guy thinks the sun revolves around Thunderbird mail. FWIW>

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 09-30-2016, 11:48 AM

Been using Thunderbird for years. I want nothing to do with the Windows live crap. My Wife is so used to Thunderbird that I don't think she would even try anything else.

1997 Tacoma PM20
1998 Tacoma CC10
2001 Tacoma C5C
2004 Tacoma C1C
2004 Tacoma EMM30 "Forum Guitar"
Old 09-30-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
I am a big fan of gmail.
Quote:
my IT guy thinks the sun revolves around Thunderbird mail. FWIW>
There are two important things to consider with these popular solutions.

For a free gmail account, one should read the privacy terms. They might make some uncomfortable or be downright inappropriate for the work they do. A free gmail account is different from Alphabet/Google commercial products.

Thunderbird didn't die on the tree but it does not get the support or parallel and same levels of development resources as Firefox does.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic