The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Some great hockey so far!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Some great hockey so far!
You bet, Phil. Team North America plays Finland at 8pm EST tonight. I'll only be able to watch some of the 1st period but looking forward to seeing McDavid play and the young guns play. Just wondering how their defense/goaltending holds up.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 PM

Canada/US starts in 5 minutes! The US has stated this is their Championship Game. These two teams always bring a great game with some animosity.

Looking forward to Don Cherry in the 1st intermission too.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Canada/US starts in 5 minutes! The US has stated this is their Championship Game. These two teams always bring a great game with some animosity.

Looking forward to Don Cherry in the 1st intermission too.
Wow, 2 goals for Canada just 14 sec. apart to put them ahead 2-1 in the 1st period. Yeah, Don Cherry...although George Stombopolous is a great interviewer, he didn't fit into Hockey Night in Canada and I'm real glad that Ron McLean will be back this year.

Go Team Canada!!!
Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 AM

Team USA eliminated by Canada 4-2.

Sure seems like some of USA's best players are on Team North America (Jack Eichel, Auston Matthews, Johnny Gaudreau, Brandon Saad, Vince Trocheck, Shayne Gostisbehere, John Gibson) or sitting at home (Tyler Johnson, Phil Kessel).

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-21-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Team USA eliminated by Canada 4-2.

Sure seems like some of USA's best players are on Team North America (Jack Eichel, Auston Matthews, Johnny Gaudreau, Brandon Saad, Vince Trocheck, Shayne Gostisbehere, John Gibson) or sitting at home (Tyler Johnson, Phil Kessel).
The US complained when they selected their team that a lot of their talent was on team North America. Galchenyuk is another young guy who wasn't even selected to team North America but I think he could have contributed to Team USA if he was allowed.

Team North America is an exciting team but I think they should be playing for their own country if they're capable, regardless of age.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I hadn't paid much attention to the lead-up to the tournament and how the team formulations were arrived at, so I admit to not really understanding the new concept of teams Europe and North America. I think I heard that the NA team is comprised of Canadians and Americans who are 23 y/o and under. Is this true and if so, is it the same for team Europe?

Either way, I don't really get why this approach was taken. Looking at the team Canada roster, I'm pretty happy with it and although there are a number of young Canadian star players on Team NA, I don't feel that Team Canada is weakened by it. I don't think the same can be said for Team USA. I think they very much needed some of those young guns, and should also have had Johnson and Kessel in the line-up.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I hadn't paid much attention to the lead-up to the tournament and how the team formulations were arrived at, so I admit to not really understanding the new concept of teams Europe and North America. I think I heard that the NA team is comprised of Canadians and Americans who are 23 y/o and under. Is this true and if so, is it the same for team Europe?

Either way, I don't really get why this approach was taken. Looking at the team Canada roster, I'm pretty happy with it and although there are a number of young Canadian star players on Team NA, I don't feel that Team Canada is weakened by it. I don't think the same can be said for Team USA. I think they very much needed some of those young guns, and should also have had Johnson and Kessel in the line-up.
Hi Tom, you're correct, Team North America is only comprised of 23 and under hockey players from Canada/US. They are not eligible to play for Team Canada / US. I don't think this impacted Team Canada at all but there are a couple of players who may have helped Team USA.

Team Europe is made of up players from all the European countries which don't have a national team participating. So, Slovakia (Chara), Slovenia (Kopitar), etc.

Regarding National Anthems, every game that Team North America plays has both Canadian/American national anthems played in addition to their opponent's national anthem. There is no anthem played for Team Europe, as agreed upon by those players.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:44 PM

Canada vs Team Europe in a best of three starting on Tuesday! Can't wait. What a dominating game by Canada against Russia last night. Crosby/Marchand/Bergeron line was clicking again.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:46 AM

Pens goalie Matt Murray apparently broke his hand while playing for team North America. He'll be out 3 to 6 weeks. Hope all the players on teams Canada and Europe manage to avoid any serious injuries in the upcoming finals series. Should be a good matchup.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-27-2016, 07:29 AM

I feel that this tournament lacks quite a bit of passion and how can team Europe stir up major excitement when it doesn't really represent any one country. Will be watching the games though, to enjoy the immense talent of the players and to cheer for Canada !!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Pens goalie Matt Murray apparently broke his hand while playing for team North America. He'll be out 3 to 6 weeks. Hope all the players on teams Canada and Europe manage to avoid any serious injuries in the upcoming finals series. Should be a good matchup.
Sorry to hear about Murray. Without him doing what he did the last couple of months of the season the Pens may not have won the Stanley Cup. Hopefully Fleury has a great start to the season, like last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
I feel that this tournament lacks quite a bit of passion and how can team Europe stir up major excitement when it doesn't really represent any one country. Will be watching the games though, to enjoy the immense talent of the players and to cheer for Canada !!
I think there was a lot of excitement for the Canada/US and Canada/Russia games and the Team north america games. Not sure about the other games though. I agree that I don't think Team Europe fans will have the same passion as say a Team Sweden or any other nation.

I don't know how the viewership is doing in Europe for this tournament.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Canada wins the tournament! Yippee!
Old 09-30-2016, 03:54 AM

Sid named tournament MVP. He's on some kind of roll.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-30-2016, 04:38 AM

Great job by Europe. They took the game to Canada.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic