The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-23-2016, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Been in Southern California, just north of San Diego, about nine months now. Have seen coyotes, rattlesnakes, red-tailed hawks, quail, crows, Mexican ravens, woodpecker's with a red crown, mule deer, and California Golden bears, I guess black bears with a light brown gene. Also, ground squirrels and jackrabbits.Sign on the mountain behind the house says to be careful of mountain lions, though I haven't seen one yet, or a bobcat for that matter.

Most of the wildlife I saw in urban Baltimore consisted of grey squirrels, cottontail rabbits, white-tail deer, red fox, field mice, house mice, moles, and Norway rats. More rats than anything else.

If you ever watch "The Wire" you will see big rats running across the roads in many scenes. I don't think that was staged.

CK
Old 09-24-2016, 06:22 AM

I live in Falmouth, Massachusetts (Cape Cod), and we have a huge turkey population here. We have had flocks of turkeys numbering 30 or more traipse across our yard numerous times over the last couple of years, and you might see them anywhere at any time in the middle of town. It is a fairly common occurrence to be driving down Main Street in Falmouth, in the middle of the business district and have traffic stopped both ways because a group of 6 or 7 turkeys are standing in the middle of the street very casually, just looking around, spreading their fan tails and strutting. Usually someone will come out of a store or off the sidewalk and shoo them away onto the side, and traffic can resume. It's a small town, so I think people generally don't mind this too much, and find it humorous. In the spring I've seen two or three adult turkeys (presumably mothers) walking along with about a dozen little baby turkeys following. As "ugly" as turkeys are, I have to say the babies are actually rather cute.

Jack
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Had our first snow of the season last night, about 1/2 of really wet snow. This morning at first ligh low and behold all around on the deck are fox tracks. We have been seeing one or two in yard woods and horse pastures, but the first sign of being on the deck. Very fun, the proliferation of wild critter's around here, really give my wife and I a sense of place

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 AM

I'm in Warwick, RI, just outside of Providence... We have Red Tailed Hawks, Coopers Hawks, Bald Eagles, Turkey, deer, fox, coyote. And we're by no means rural. These days, we have to drive to the country to get away from the wildlife!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:31 AM

I live in the suburbs of Eastern Mass.
I have seen the usual squirrels and chipmunks,
many birds, my favorite being the red-tailed hawks.
The eastern cottontail rabbit runs around my yard.
If I am very lucky, I will see a deer or a wild turkey.
There is a pack of coyotes in the woods across the
street from my house. You can hear them whenever
a fire truck siren goes by, that gets them going.
I have seen garter snakes in the woods too.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

sigh.......

I got back from a business dinner last night, let our dogs out and the bolder one proceeded to get sprayed by a skunk for the third time.

Why doesn't he learn? Fortunately this time it didn't get in his mucous membranes (which stunk literally for months) and we had a skunk clean emergency kit.

So annoying.....

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic