The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2010, 05:27 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Tick tick tick.......ugh. 11:15 today you will be mine
Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 AM

Congrats,

Dana makes fantastic guitars, if I ever cheat on Martin it would be his guitars.

Looks to be mahogany? Martin made an 00-18DB (deep body) fro two years as part of their "Women in music" series, sitka/hog, I played one that wlooked like a cat played with it but the sound was fantastic, still should have bought it.

That Bourgeois should be a beast, amazing how 00's don't lose much or any volume at all, and the body size sure is comfortable.........enjoy!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)

Last edited by rmyAddison; 04-16-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 AM

Congrats on the Bourgeois, YJ. That's got to be a great guitar. Looking forward to your review.

Rich: what are you saying in that last sentence?

Bill
Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
Congrats on the Bourgeois, YJ. That's got to be a great guitar. Looking forward to your review.

Rich: what are you saying in that last sentence?

Bill
Edited to sorta kinda make sense, not up to my full caffeine level yet.....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-18-2010, 04:34 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thanks guys.
I never thought I would own Bourgeois. Heck I still have to look to spell it!
Now I can tell ya "the rest of the story"
I have been on a short scale/00 quest. I love my cheapy Epi 00 24.75 and just knew there had to be more out there. I started looking at old Gibson 00's. They were either dead, dying, severely restored or out of my price range. The new Gibsons I found sounded like expensive shoe boxes. Then my Electrician swung by with his 59' Martin 24.9. It looks like Triggers cousin but oh what a sound.
It was not for sale. Ebay showed me the Martin was cheaper than the Gibson.
But, again, dead, dying or $$$$. So, I wandered into Acoustic Music Works to see if he had any Chinese short scale 14 fretters. He handles Blueridge, Eastman. I don't know their stuff so I was not sure what they offered. Blueridge has a nice 12 fretter OO. But, no 14 fretters. Then Steve played his card
He put the Bourgeois 00 Country boy in my hands. It is built basically to the Martin 24.9 14 fret 00. Pure wow. I have never gotten so worked up over a guitar. I went back the next day with my Epi. Not to compare tone but to compare size. The upper Bout was my concern. If it is over 11 inches or fat my shoulder doesn't care what the label calls it. As an example; I looked at the Masterbuilt EF5OORA - The upper bout is OM sized (to me).
The Country Boy was smaller by a 1/2" Yep, it was love.
So, I did the "oh what can I sell to get her" game. My wife asked me what I was so worked up over (as I was putting 5 dreds in a row to sell on eBay). I figured sell the Cargo, deposit, pay it off in a month....... She said "Use the dough you were going to spend going to the Newport show" Nope, you can't have her!
So, (Tuesday) I called Steve. Debit card in Hand...... "well, I have a clean used one coming in"......UGHHHHHHHH. I was ready to buy the new one. The tone was what I loved. But, it was quite a savings in Bucks to buy the used one. I had to wait till Friday to see it. Tick, tick, tick. And praying Steve would not sell the one I had played. It would not have been fair to ask him to hold it on a maybe.
Friday came. I had a 2 hour window to drive in look at the 2, decide, and get back to work to pay for her!
Looks;I really was not swayed much by the looks of one over the other. Interesting how different they were built. The new one has a satin Zircote Head stock laminate, Ivoriod Logo, Vintage round knob tuners. The used one had a Gloss Zircote, Ablone logo, butterbean tuners.
Tone. Maybe it was the type of strings? Maybe it was how much they'd been played? The used guitar was really "unused". They sounded very similar. But, there was something in the new ones tone that was not in the used one. So, Short story long. I bought the new one.
I zipped back to my gig. Half an hour later I was playing "Wheels on the bus" for 20 3 year olds with the prettiest sounding guitar I have heard
Hey, there is a nice, nice used Country Boy at Acoustic Music Works!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Thanks guys.
I have been on a short scale/00 quest. I love my cheapy Epi 00 24.75 and just knew there had to be more out there. I started looking at old Gibson 00's. They were either dead, dying, severely restored or out of my price range. The new Gibsons I found sounded like expensive shoe boxes. Then my Electrician swung by with his 59' Martin 24.9. It looks like Triggers cousin but oh what a sound.
But, again, dead, dying or $$$$. So, I wandered into Acoustic Music Works to see if he had any Chinese short scale 14 fretters. He handles Blueridge, Eastman. I don't know their stuff so I was not sure what they offered. Blueridge has a nice 12 fretter OO. But, no 14 fretters. Then Steve played his card
He put the Bourgeois 00 Country boy in my hands. It is built basically to the Martin 24.9 14 fret 00. Pure wow. I have never gotten so worked up over a guitar. I went back the next day with my Epi. Not to compare tone but to compare size. The upper Bout was my concern. If it is over 11 inches or fat my shoulder doesn't care what the label calls it. As an example; I looked at the Masterbuilt EF5OORA - The upper bout is OM sized (to me).
So, I did the "oh what can I sell to get her" game. My wife asked me what I was so worked up over (as I was putting 5 dreds in a row to sell on eBay). I figured sell the Cargo, deposit, pay it off in a month....... She said "Use the dough you were going to spend going to the Newport show" Nope, you can't have her!
So, (Tuesday) I called Steve. Debit card in Hand...... "well, I have a clean used one coming in"......UGHHHHHHHH. I was ready to buy the new one. The tone was what I loved. But, it was quite a savings in Bucks to buy the used one. I had to wait till Friday to see it. Tick, tick, tick. And praying Steve would not sell the one I had played. It would not have been fair to ask him to hold it on a maybe.
Friday came. I had a 2 hour window to drive in look at the 2, decide, and get back to work to pay for her!
Looks;I really was not swayed much by the looks of one over the other. Interesting how different they were built. The new one has a satin Zircote Head stock laminate, Ivoriod Logo, Vintage round knob tuners. The used one had a Gloss Zircote, Ablone logo, butterbean tuners.
Tone. Maybe it was the type of strings? Maybe it was how much they'd been played? The used guitar was really "unused". They sounded very similar. But, there was something in the new ones tone that was not in the used one. So, Short story long. I bought the new one.
I zipped back to my gig. Half an hour later I was playing "Wheels on the bus" for 20 3 year olds with the prettiest sounding guitar I have heard
Great story. I've never played the new 00's built by Dana but I'd love to give one a try. Congratulations on owning an heirloom guitar!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 AM

Wow, sounds like you really have found "The One."

Congrats!

New Yamaha FGX5 (love it!)
Vintage Yamahas: FG-1500 * FG-2500 * FG-500 (3) * FG-550 (2)
Modified FG-630 (Rickenbacker stringing)
Newish Stratocaster * Rickenbacker 660-12
Gibson EB-0 Bass * Vagabond travel guitar
Yamaha Classical (I forget which!)
Old 04-18-2010, 07:30 AM

I just got this one and played the Martin is was inspired by.

Pau Ferro 00, mastergrade sitka and hot hide glue.

Last edited by Dwight; 04-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks guys.
Congratulations, YJ. Your wife is good to you. Nice touch playing it for the kiddies. Be careful though. You know the deal with 3 year-olds and guitars.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 PM

"Wheels of a Bus" with a Bourgeois! Isn't music great?

Bill
Old 04-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post
"Wheels of a Bus" with a Bourgeois! Isn't music great?

Bill
Went on to "Over the Rainbow". Kinda lost the kids but had the teachers
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Congratulations, YJ. Your wife is good to you. Nice touch playing it for the kiddies. Be careful though. You know the deal with 3 year-olds and guitars.
YOU NEED TO TAKE CHINESE COOKING CLASSES FOR 2 YEARS. Just telln'ya
Don't forget. I am a big 3 year old. I was in my element.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolside View Post
I just got this one and played the Martin is was inspired by.

Pao, mastergrade sitka and hot hide glue.
Who's make is that one? Nice.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Who's make is that one? Nice.
Bourgeois 00, 14 fret, short scale, hide glue. The shop I got it from sent Dana a mid 50's Martin for "inspiration" and he built this masterpiece.

Last edited by Dwight; 04-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Love the silking on that top!

As long as we're sharing photos... here's mine: A custom Vintage OM with Brazilian Rosewood and European spruce top with ivory bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion