The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-14-2014, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the advice on loading pictures. It seems to me I already tried that, though. I do use photobucket. Do you copy the address from the address bar at the top of the page, or do you right click and go to "properties", then copy the address from the properties pop-up screen?
I do think Tom will find this to be an interesting build because of the beautiful woods being used, and some of the trim details will be a little different, as well.
I'll keep working on the pictures...
Old 11-14-2014, 02:10 PM

HI, thanks....
As I recall, I click on the photo in my photobucket library and it shows up as a single picture, most often a larger pic. I right click on that photo and click "copy". Then I move to the AGF section and click on the little insert photo icon (yellow with the mountain). That shows up with an "http" beginning address in the box. I DELETE that and clear it...then click on "control V" and this pastes the copied correct address into the box. If you don't delete the "http: and just paste in the photobucket address it won't show your pics.
Anyway, I think that's my little process!
Beautiful wood.......just beautiful.....
Regards,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-14-2014, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Finally! Enjoy the pictures!

Now that I've FINALLY figured out how to properly post pictures (thank you, Islandguitar!), I thought I would elaborate on the details of this build. Tom and I still have a few things to determine (which tuners, how to do the rosette, a couple other details).
So, here are some details and rambling thoughts for your perusal.

Regarding the last two pictures above, you see the Doerr Trinity mold placed over the two back pieces. It is nearly a miracle how perfectly the curves in the grain pattern in the Brazilian will grace the curves of the body!

The bridge will look similar to the one on Tom's 100th guitar, with a similar application of abalone purflings (his 100th guitar used micro MOP)
There will be no inlays on the fretboard, headstock, or anywhere else, just an excessive amount of abalone purflings!

Actually, the whole guitar will have African Blackwood binding, including Tom's unique and lovely beveled binding on the body, along with the blue Paua abalone purflings. The guitar will have abalone on the soundboard, back, sides, fretboard, bridge, headstock veneer, and probably the rosette.

I decided to use African Blackwood for the binding instead of Tom's standard choice of Ebony because I think the Blackwood will give a little more "warmth" with it's deep, dark brown color and more distinct grain patterns, while still contrasting with the Brazilian.

The neck will be Indian Rosewood (not mahogany).

I was going to use Gotoh 510 Mini tuners, which is Tom's standard issue, but I've decided to go for some custom Alessi open back tuning machines.

I am not adding a cutaway, or Ryan-style bevel.

A soundport will be added.

The nut width will be 1 7/8", bridge spacing 2 3/8". This instrument will be used solely for fingerstyle, and I like lots of room!

Once Tom gets started in a few weeks, I'll give more updates and post pics as I receive them. I welcome your comments and critiques!

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 01-29-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: change of specifications
Old 11-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

How EXCITING!!! Tom is one of my favorite builders, and best of Friends... It will be fun watching this come together, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 AM

Really glad the pics worked out for you! ( and for all of us to view). Just beautiful. I always wonder where Tom and other builders get this wonderful wood that's in their stash. It's really incredible. I would imagine he's had this Braz for a while.
With Tom's new house being so near his workshop it's going to make things much easier for him to forge ahead on his builds. A great guy!
Thanks for sharing the pics....keep 'em coming!
Best, Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 11-16-2014, 12:25 AM

Your brazillian set looks beautiful! I am sure Tom will build you a truly fine guitar!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 11-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, everyone, for the nice comments and well-wishes. I'll give an update as soon as I have some new info to share...
Old 11-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Default New fretboard

Tom let me know that he plans to start the build around the first week of February...

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 01-29-2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 12-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Default UPDATE: Western Red Cedar soundboard

As Tom and I continued to work out the details, he very gently and patiently convinced me that I want a cedar top to achieve the tonal characteristics and responsiveness I want. I was going to use a great set of Lutz, but I trust Tom's advice, and I know he has mad skills with cedar. I finally gave in.
I've only played a few cedar-topped guitars, and certainly not one of the caliber of Tom's instruments, so this is a real leap of faith.
I want the instrument to have plenty of responsiveness, sustain, lush overtones, yet with a measure of clarity usually expected of a smaller instrument.
The combination of Brazilian rosewood, cedar top, and Indian rosewood neck will hopefully achieve these aims.
I have also asked Tom to add a soundport, and he insisted that it be finished in his Signature-level specifications--in other words, it will look beautiful and blend harmoniously with the other aesthetic elements!

Here are two pictures of the cedar top...

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 01-29-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Fretboard choice

Well, I've changed my mind a few times on the fretboard and bridge. Bois de Rose, then Brazilian Rosewood, then African Blackwood. Well, I've decided on a different wood. I'll discuss it later...

Last edited by GaultierRedon14; 01-29-2015 at 10:09 AM. Reason: additional picture
Old 12-11-2014, 06:01 PM

Beautiful wood! Leap with confidence!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-

Old 12-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Charter Member

Thank you, Island Guitar. I hope you're enjoying your new Legacy. It looks great!
Yes, I am quite confident in Tom's ability to build a stellar instrument. I'm very happy with the woods he and I have selected.

He has just begun working on it this week. I'll post pictures as I receive them...
Old 12-12-2014, 06:11 AM

I reckon that is going to sound just magical, can't wait to see the finished guitar :-)

Taylor 514ce (1999)
Taylor Baby-m (1999)
Taylor 814ce (2014 - Finally!)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:05 AM

I've played 5 Doerrs and the one that left the deepest impression on me was the cedar one. You won't be disappointed

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 12-12-2014, 05:47 PM

I have a cedar EIR Doerr and it sounds really sweet. How I wish I could have a cedar brazil rosewood Doerr. I bet it will even sound better. Good choice

2008 Doerr Legacy German Spruce/ koa
2014 Charis SJ Swiss Spruce/ ABW
2017 Gibson LG-2 Sitka Spruce/ Mahogany

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop