The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
Was looking for anyone who has used Ivory for a nut or saddle.

I can't imagine there would be a great deal of difference between bone and ivory (without examining the size of the pores thru a high power microscope) since Ivory tusks are just external bones.

I have several pieces of ivory that I could carve and fashion into a nut and i would if there was any benefit over bone to make it worthwhile. It wouldn't cost me anything to do it, other than the loss of the ivory blank which I could possibly for inlay on a future wood project.
I can say that there's no functional difference between bone and ivory for a guitar nut and saddle. I've used both and, aside from the appearance, I can't tell the difference either in function or sound.

Beyond that, with the issues of CITES and the effect on elephants, I won't ever use it again.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 PM

There's old ivory and is outside the effects on elephants, which I was lucky to get decades ago.

I've kept it for my old age when I was going to use it to carve chess pieces.

But having it for the guitar had never occurred to me, and if as you point out there is not a very significant difference in using bone, that is what I'll do.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackknifegypsy View Post
There's old ivory and is outside the effects on elephants, which I was lucky to get decades ago.

I've kept it for my old age when I was going to use it to carve chess pieces.

But having it for the guitar had never occurred to me, and if as you point out there is not a very significant difference in using bone, that is what I'll do.
Yes, of course, it's old ivory and won't affect eklephants.

My point was that there is no way to prove that your ivory was old once it's made into a guitar nut or saddle since all ivory, like apples, oranges and walnuts, is fungible

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair