The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-05-2011, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Ran across some technical specs from the QSC website.

Are the K series power specification peak or "RMS" ratings?
by Tracey Homan on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 am

The specifications for the K series power ratings for the amplifiers are 500W per channel continuous ("RMS").Thanks,
Tracey Homan
Service Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC

Re: Actual rms values for K series?
by Bob Lee on Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:21 pm

The amp modules are 500 watts continuous for the LF and 500 watts continuous for the HF, a total of 1000 watts.

The KSub's amp module is 500 watts continuous for each driver, for a total of 1000 watts.Bob Lee
Applications Engineer
QSC Audio Products, LLC
Secretary, Audio Engineering Society
Quite some time ago, upon seeing the K series specifications, I called QSC and spoke to an engineer who confirmed that the amp ratings were for continuous power.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
So I am now considering QSC K10's. I wanted to go with K8's, but I like the idea of the deeper bass of the K10, and dispersion pattern of the K10 (90 degrees) may feedback less and throw farther than the K8 (105 degrees).

Lastly, I can use the K10 as a floor monitor / foldback for other needs. The K12's seem a bit large, heavy and overkill for my primarily solo acoustic/vocal act.

Sidebar: I will probably get an Allen & Heath Zed10 Fx Mixer as well. Just need to figure out where to mount/place it. Is there any sort of mic stand shelf that would work easily I wonder?
I use a single K10 as a main and a K8 as a monitor (with an adapter) along with the A&H ZED10FX. May swap the K8 for the K10 down the road. (It just sounds smoother to my ears).

If you don't need channel inserts, ZED10FX is a great mixer in a small (not micro) platform. Preamps and EQ are first rate and effects have a number of usable settings.

geokie8
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post
I use a single K10 as a main and a K8 as a monitor (with an adapter) along with the A&H ZED10FX. May swap the K8 for the K10 down the road. (It just sounds smoother to my ears).

If you don't need channel inserts, ZED10FX is a great mixer in a small (not micro) platform. Preamps and EQ are first rate and effects have a number of usable settings.

geokie8
Would the K12 be way overkill? My local GC doesn't have any K10's, but will make me a nice deal on a K12. Thought I might add another down the lind for a full range, outdoor PA.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Would the K12 be way overkill? My local GC doesn't have any K10's, but will make me a nice deal on a K12. Thought I might add another down the lind for a full range, outdoor PA.
My rig consisted of a pair of Electro-Voice SX-300 speakers which have 12" woofers. So I don't consider the K12 to be overkill and it may be that one day you will play at a large enough venue that you will be glad that you had K12s instead of something smaller.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
The ribbon tweeter in the new Peavey Impulse 12D make them intriguing to me.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post

geokie8
What did you use for an adapter for your K8 for monitoring? That's why I went for the K10s which are just fantastic. I use the 10s as mains and some little powered Yamahas as monitors which I would love to upgrade to K8s if I could use them as wedges.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I bit the bullet last night. I went to my local GC to pull the trigger on a K10. Decided I wanted the added fullness of the K10 over the K8 just in case my band wants to use them, as well as the ability to use the K10 as a floor monitor at some point. They did not have any K10's in stock and the K8's just seemed a little bit limiting. So ....I pulled the trigger on a K12.

I can always order a K10 and GC will take the K12 back. But I have a feeling I am going to love having the K12's and the added assurance of full range PA applications if and when needed in the future.

I also bought an Allen & Heath Zed10 FX 4 channel mixer. Set it up at home last night to stage everything before my first gig tonight. Sounds stunning!

...And I did a brief A-B to my Fishman Soloamp. The Fishman surprised me at how close it could come. It really is impressive for its size, weight and price. But the Soloamp (or newer Fishman SA220) to my ears, is no match for the QSC K12 with A&H ZED10 FX mixer. The QSC K12 sounds fuller, a bit more clear, bass notes are more realistic and bigger sounding, although its not a day-and-night difference.

Tonight I am playing a solo gig at a local resort that I've done many times with my Fishman Soloamp. Should be a fun evening!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 05-06-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
...Tonight I am playing a solo gig at a local resort that I've done many times with my Fishman Soloamp. Should be a fun evening!
Let us know how it went.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latif View Post
What did you use for an adapter for your K8 for monitoring? That's why I went for the K10s which are just fantastic. I use the 10s as mains and some little powered Yamahas as monitors which I would love to upgrade to K8s if I could use them as wedges.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=199494

They work fine, but I still like the smoothness of the K10 better and may swap sometime in the future.

geokie8
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 AM

Thanks, being a woodworker I'm sure I can come up with something. I recently used my small system, Soundcraft mixer, two K10s and two little Yamaha 100 watters for monitors for my sons rock and roll band when they were on tour back through his home town here and they were happy to have a free sound guy and system but the Yamahas really sucked as monitors at the spl these guys play at. The k10s are amazing though. They had played earlier that week at a local club with an installed Meyer system and didn't sound much better FOH than the K10s although I was only running vocals so not a truly fair comparison. Think I'll have to get some K8s for monitors to replace those yammies. I don't play rock and roll anymore and the yammies work ok for most of my needs but the QSCs are so much better.

Latif
Old 05-08-2011, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Talking

I did my first acoustic Solo gig last night with my new QSC K12 NS brand new Allen & Heath ZED10FX mixer. I was performing at a local Westin (read: upscale) Resort Hotel in the main lobby lounge. Huge place! Massive room with 40 feet tall ceilings if not higher. I used my Santa Cruz D/PW Mahogany acoustic and also my Gibson ES339 Semi-hollow Electric guitar. ...and vocals.

I've played this gig several times before using my Fishman Soloamp which worked very nicely. So I was very interested to hear the difference. I set up the QSC K12 on a stand behind me and about 4-5 feet to my left. I put the ZedFx10 mixer on a music stand and that worked out GREAT!

After 1 verse of the first song, I was freaking grinning ear to ear and doing a happy dance inside!#$! The sound of the Allen & Heath ZED10 fx mixer and the QSC K12 with my acoustic guitar and vocals was crystal clear and sooooo musical. Stunning. The most notable difference compared to my Fishman Soloamp is the rich, full, deep bass notes that had zero sag. and total clarity and sparkle. Several times in the past, I've driven my acoustic guitar pretty hard and I could get the fishman speakers (or the power section in the fishman) to distort. I could NOT get that to happen with the QSC K12. It supported the notes with finesse and tons of headroom.

I used the second effect setting on the ZED10Fx mixer (reverb-delay) and I tapped out a delay tempo. I gave me a freaking stunning sound! Very professional sounding for live work in my opinion. That effect setting (Reverb & delay) easily surpasses the basic yet decent reverb on the Fishman Soloamp ... for my needs.

The one slightly negative thing (not really negative, but more of an observation) I noticed with the QSC K12 speaker however was that it is fairly directional in terms of the width of sonic dispersion. (75 degrees I believe) Just a little turn on the speaker stand 6-8 inches toward me brought more breath and clarity to the sound. Turn it away the same amount and I could still hear it just fine but I lost the 'air' in the sound. I still did not need a monitor and not once did I experience any feedback.

I am wondering if maybe the K10 might be the absolute best of all worlds and offer the best size, weight, price, wide dispersion etc? I will keep the K12 no matter what since I plan to add a second K12 to complete a pair that I can use with my band. But I do think I will buy a K10 and see how that works out.

I was overjoyed tonally and in terms of throwing the sound forward to the audience. Sounded soooooo good. Easily the best sound and tone I've ever had for a solo gig.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 05-08-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 AM

That's great news and totally what I expected to hear. The deep of 12's I found to be a weight/ratio compromise that I am willing to work with right now. Having a pair expands the coverage that you feel in might be missing in width. It is a rare occassion where I would use just 1 speaker. I KNOW "we are trying to go smaller and lighter but there comes a point of diminishing returns. Heavily consider the result of going with 1 K10 as opposeed to a second K12. Believe me that the audience notices the full, clear, clear, Non- earfatiguing sound that you are producing with that setup.

btw did you compare any other 12's?
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
That's great news and totally what I expected to hear. The deep of 12's I found to be a weight/ratio compromise that I am willing to work with right now. Having a pair expands the coverage that you feel in might be missing in width. It is a rare occassion where I would use just 1 speaker. I KNOW "we are trying to go smaller and lighter but there comes a point of diminishing returns. Heavily consider the result of going with 1 K10 as opposeed to a second K12. Believe me that the audience notices the full, clear, clear, Non- earfatiguing sound that you are producing with that setup.

btw did you compare any other 12's?
Thanks Bob. Yes I listened to the JBL Prx's and Mackie SRM450's. They local shop I deal with did not have EV's EVx-Lives which I've heard good things about or the new Yamaha Powered 12's.

I felt the QSC's walked all over the JBL's in terms of clarity and smooth mids and highs. The Mackies 450's just dont even compete with the QSC's. The SRM450's mids and highs are 'harsh and edgy' sounding to my ears. The JBL's were just a bit too midrangey.

I wanted to like the JBL powered 12's because they were cheaper. I listened the QSC's, then the JBL's and liked the JBL's. They when we switched back to the QSC's the sonic clarity walked all over the JBL's.

Did not even consider the EON series JBL's.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-08-2011, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the report, Gary.

Like Bob, your experience was pretty much what I expected to hear.

A question (you may have answered this already, forgive me if so) -- Were you primarily seated or standing for your performance? And where in relation to ear-level did that place the K-12 in terms of monitoring your sound? (I am wondering if you had to fiddle with placement in order to avoid feedback from your vocal mic.)

Thanks.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Thanks for the report, Gary.

Like Bob, your experience was pretty much what I expected to hear.

A question (you may have answered this already, forgive me if so) -- Were you primarily seated or standing for your performance? And where in relation to ear-level did that place the K-12 in terms of monitoring your sound? (I am wondering if you had to fiddle with placement in order to avoid feedback from your vocal mic.)

Thanks.

Hey Dr David, Great question. I was actually standing, so the tweeter/horn of the QSC was slightly above my head ...and I had zero feedback problems. The speaker was to my left about 4-5 feet and behind me a few feet. So it was very close. I have more feedback issues with acoustic guitar if I'm not careful. and that was a non-issue as well in this domain. Other locations and mandatory volume levels might change things. But this was a fairly typical volume level for the gigs I do. Very pleased! Elated

...and I will most definitely be buying a second QSC K12. Bob makes a lot of sense. Whether or not I use a pair of K12's at each gig remains to be seen. I would love it, but the audience does not care quite as much.

I also want to echo what was said in an earlier post. Great tone and fair talent is often as pleasing if not more the audience than great talent and crappy tone. ....The caveat being, most 'great talent' doesn't allow or use gear that gives crappy tone in my experience.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification