The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Testing out Fingerstyle after 3 months

Hey guys,

Been playing guitar for about 3 months and messing around with fingerstyle now and tried this one out. Ignore the bad singing. Pretty hard tune to sing to.

Let me know what you think, all advice is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__bnsPMQ4e4
Old 04-14-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facers View Post
Hey guys,

Been playing guitar for about 3 months and messing around with fingerstyle now and tried this one out. Ignore the bad singing. Pretty hard tune to sing to.

Let me know what you think, all advice is appreciated.

Fixed the link

EDIT: Oh, maybe it didn't need fixing! Didn't show up for me.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:44 PM

singing while playing fingerstyle is like "walking and chewing gum" for me

Impossible.. I've decided that if I'm going to sing, it has to be strumming or something simpler than fingerstyle for me.

Since my voice isn't great and I have trouble staying in tune singing, I play a LOT of solo fingerstyle arrangements.

BTW-- Playing pattern style fingerstyle came fairly easy for me.. But it easily took me 3 months to get my right thumb to be consistent while playing syncopated blues ragtime fingerstyle. It took hours of nightly repetitive right thumb work.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 04-14-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM

Wow, I could not have done that at 3 months. Very well done.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 04-14-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
singing while playing fingerstyle is like "walking and chewing gum" for me

Impossible.. I've decided that if I'm going to sing, it has to be strumming or something simpler than fingerstyle for me.

Since my voice isn't great and I have trouble staying in tune singing, I play a LOT of solo fingerstyle arrangements.

BTW-- Playing pattern style fingerstyle came fairly easy for me.. But it easily took me 3 months to get my right thumb to be consistent while playing syncopated blues ragtime fingerstyle. It took hours of nightly repetitive right thumb work.
I know my singing is really bad. I just find that my recorded versions are very boring without singing (obvious with this skill level I guess). So I try to at least learn some of the lyrics while learning to play the song.

This was recommended for starting out with fingerstyle but trying to sing this for me was a disaster
Old 04-14-2017, 04:09 PM

Yes, I am totally impressed with how well you are doing at only 3 months in on guitar. I also really like how you are choosing fingerstyle as accompaniment rather than the easier route of simply strumming chords. It adds to much. Keep it up!

"We are music fingered by the gods." ~ Mark Nepo
Old 04-14-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllaMom View Post
Yes, I am totally impressed with how well you are doing at only 3 months in on guitar. I also really like how you are choosing fingerstyle as accompaniment rather than the easier route of simply strumming chords. It adds to much. Keep it up!
THANKS!

Actually I made this video about 3 weeks ago now, and since then I have been trying to do a lot more fingerpicking and strumming without pick as well. I like the sound a lot better but almost feels like starting over again.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:40 PM

Pretty good for three months.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Very good for 3 months. I think singing along when playing the guitar accelerates your learning because you want to sing at tempo and your hands have to keep up. Its like using a metronome for every song. Keep it up!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Everyone should have a cheering section.

I watched your latest, too, Hurt. You're making good progress. I'm just beginning, too, but I wonder if you have some extra tension in your strumming arm from keeping your shoulder high? Your hand looks like it might be a bit stiff which might make it harder to play more complex rhythms or dynamics. I wonder if a more relaxed angle where your shoulders are more balanced might give you more freedom of movement. I've heard, too, that we can cause injuries in the shoulder and elbow holding them at a tricky angle. Something to consider. Or not. Best of luck going forward!

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

You are doing really well for just 3 months in for sure. And to echo what has been said here, singing and playing is a great way to stay in time. And to learn where changes take place. Keep up the hard work. It's obviously paying off!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2017, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDee View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barWV7RWkq0

Everyone should have a cheering section.

I watched your latest, too, Hurt. You're making good progress. I'm just beginning, too, but I wonder if you have some extra tension in your strumming arm from keeping your shoulder high? Your hand looks like it might be a bit stiff which might make it harder to play more complex rhythms or dynamics. I wonder if a more relaxed angle where your shoulders are more balanced might give you more freedom of movement. I've heard, too, that we can cause injuries in the shoulder and elbow holding them at a tricky angle. Something to consider. Or not. Best of luck going forward!
Thanks for the feedback!

I am actually pretty sure that I am doing something wrong as far as posture is concerned. Recently I have had some very severe neck pains and have suspicion that it is due to playing guitar with bad posture.

Currently experimenting with several different positions as I play. Also looking for some personal lessons as I think this is exactly the kind of thing that is difficult to learn to via internet and easy to form bad habits.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write