The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 AM

Default Peripheral benefit of the Arranging group threads

As the people who are in those threads likely know I don't record (anymore) so I can't participate in that way as some of them do. I did post an audio of an MP3 I recorded several years ago, just to get the ball rolling. The sound quality of the recording was awful (just one reason why I quit recording), but I also was a little embarrassed by that early first edition of the song that thread was working on. Hearing some of the other arrangements inspired me and helped to light a fire. I think I am rather lackadaisical in arranging songs and need to do better. I get complacent, but shouldn't. My last guitar teacher a few years ago told me flat out, that I was a good guitar player, but crappy arranger and needed to work on that, focus on that, more than my playing.

So the positive outcome of those arranging threads has been to help light a fire. I've started working on some new arrangements of the old songs I recorded back then, but have since largely passed by while adding new songs to my repertoire.

My thanks goes out to those "arranging" threads and the many people who have contributed to them.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I don't think there are any specific paths one should take other than to enjoy the ones taken. For many years I have been happy as a clam playing guitar pieces note for note, concentrating on accuracy and expression - not an unusual thing, especially in the classical guitar world. Pick a nice piece and the enjoyment level of learning it is pretty much predictable. For me composing an original, or sometime arranging an existing tune, can also be very satisfying, but it can also be a big drag, depending on how it's going and the final destination - much less predictable. Relatively new for me is the recording process. The also has its pluses and minuses as to results and the way one spends their time.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-17-2017, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
As the people who are in those threads likely know I don't record (anymore) so I can't participate in that way as some of them do. I did post an audio of an MP3 I recorded several years ago, just to get the ball rolling. The sound quality of the recording was awful (just one reason why I quit recording), but I also was a little embarrassed by that early first edition of the song that thread was working on. Hearing some of the other arrangements inspired me and helped to light a fire. I think I am rather lackadaisical in arranging songs and need to do better. I get complacent, but shouldn't. My last guitar teacher a few years ago told me flat out, that I was a good guitar player, but crappy arranger and needed to work on that, focus on that, more than my playing.

So the positive outcome of those arranging threads has been to help light a fire. I've started working on some new arrangements of the old songs I recorded back then, but have since largely passed by while adding new songs to my repertoire.

My thanks goes out to those "arranging" threads and the many people who have contributed to them.
This is great to hear Nailpicker. I feel the same way. These threads have rekindled the fire and I feel like I'm making new friends with similar passions! It is also fun and interesting to hear the takes of others on these songs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write