The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Rapid pull-offs kill the notes

I've been working on a piece, and I can't figure out how to get the pull-offs to sound good with out the notes dying immediately.

Here's a recording of the piece I'm working on:
https://soundcloud.com/brydon-gibson/spring-rain

The part in question is the quick (5p4p2h4p2p0h2) part of the melody. I moved to my 12 string since it seems a little louder, but it still isn't good enough.

I've been practicing by trilling and I can control the volume very well and sustain it indefinitely, but these pull-offs must be too quick because I can't do it.

Any ideas on strategies? You can tell I'm trying in the recording, but to no avail.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

5p4p2h4p2p0h2

Since it is mostly on the first string you can pull your pull-offs a little laterally without bumping into an adjacent string. That will give you more volume.
On the last note (second string second fret) just pick that note (no hammer on). On the earlier hammer on you could just pick that note also if you are not satisfied with the volume you are getting on that note and the two subsequent notes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-05-2017, 01:54 AM

It doesn't sound too bad to me except for the final hammer on. Maybe you are removing your finger too soon after the final 0h2.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packocrayons View Post
I've been working on a piece, and I can't figure out how to get the pull-offs to sound good with out the notes dying immediately.
Little old man at bus stop asks man: Tell me son, how do you get to Carnegie Hall.
Man's reply: Practice man, practice.

Seriously, I didn't listen to your song, but from your description, I think everyone at times in their playing "careers" or difficult parts (location, speed, the particular guitar being played) in a song can run into that problem. When it happens to me I just work at it until I nail it for that song. I can do some things on an acoustic I can't do well on an electric and vice versa in part because of action, scale, string gauge, neck size etc.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Little old man at bus stop asks man: Tell me son, how do you get to Carnegie Hall.

Seriously, I didn't listen to your song, but from your description, I think everyone at times in their playing "careers" or difficult parts (location, speed, the particular guitar being played) in a song can run into that problem. When it happens to me I just work at it until I nail it for that song. I can do some things on an acoustic I can't do well on an electric and vice versa in part because of action, scale, string gauge, neck size etc.
Agree. Another F-chord query in dynamic cloaking.

To the OP, the hammers and pulls are definitely dynamics that must be practiced to get them to ring out, and especially with up-tempo pieces where the hammer/dwell/pull event actually needs some focused technique to do well. More speed, less audibility and perhaps the guitar itself plays a role in that if it can't provide the resonance needed.

A quick decaying guitar versus a resonant one makes all the difference for certain dynamics, where the latter usually implies less to get more. This is why choosing a guitar to suit your music is as critical as the ability to make it give you what it can give. I mention this because you already thought of that when moving to your 12 string to see if it could make a difference.

Personally, I gave up all that thought and went plugged. I can dial in the sound I need when I need it. The audience doesn't care what you play, never has, but knows what sounds good to them and that's all that counts. You might try to add some electronics to your sound - just enough to get the effects you are looking for to ring out when you need it. It won't make you a bad person despite the knitted brows you'll get from the acoustic purists.

Otherwise, practice, practice, practice...
Old 04-09-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post

I'll tell you how long ago I first heard that joke; it was a beatnik standing on the corner and he was snapping his fingers when he answered!
Old 04-09-2017, 04:18 PM

These all seem like good recommendations, I have been practicing and I have been getting better at it. As an acoustic purist, I wouldn't try it plugged in, and I also don't have the electronics for that.

It does sound much better on my dad's Yamaha, although a lot sharper as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I'll tell you how long ago I first heard that joke; it was a beatnik standing on the corner and he was snapping his fingers when he answered!
That's how I first heard it too, at least 50 years ago, but I've come to realize many people younger than I am don't have the slightest idea what a beatnik is...was
Old 04-16-2017, 12:42 PM

Is this piece original? If not, I don't know it. Really pretty. I'd have to see it to suggest anything, but just wanted to say it sounds really nice.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 04-16-2017, 12:50 PM

Thanks! It is original, the melody came to me while I was fooling around and I wrote something around it. I may start filming my playing, but my recording skills are better than my videography skills for sure 😂

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I'm always writing things I can barely play, too.

Nice job. I hope to hear the finished version.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 04-16-2017, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I always hated the term 'pull-off.' It almost implies that you're lifting your finger off of the string.

I much rather prefer the term 'Scrape-across,' which is what you should be doing in order to get the strongest sound. Also, if you do it correctly you'll no doubt hit the neighboring string, so mute it and you'll be fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write