The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-30-2023, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I'm conflicted about this. I feel part of this is that people largely respond to covers. A person that doesn't do covers often feels more aggressive about not doing covers because they are going against the prevailing sentiments. So, there's the attitude.

It seems that the judgement of a performer doing covers is based on how closely they mimic the version that people became familiar with. I've yet to hear a standard audience member remark about how they enjoy a performer's versions of covers. I haven't followed popular music in decades. Allot of recent covers that people do I have never heard before. Mostly those covers leave me cold. There are a lot of great songs, and most people can't come close to writing songs that can compete. So, not doing covers has its problems.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-30-2023, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKinBWa View Post
“I don’t do covers”, is a phrase I have heard from time to time when talking to other guitar players, sometimes with a certain amount of pride, or even disdain.
-BK
Obviously not a classical guitarist.
Seriously though, that premise is very misguided. Who isn't happy that Hendrix covered "All Along The Watchtower", the cover of all covers, including the guy who wrote it.
Doing a cover well is not only satisfying for listeners, it's also an art form. It's like paying it forward, in a good way.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-30-2023, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I'm a happily married 60-something professional white guy with no substance abuse problems. So it feels like I have nothing to complain about, and whining seems to be the gist of most singer-songwriter stuff (outside of the professional realm). Our favorite private joke: do you want a block of cheese with that whine?

I have written three songs and two Piedmont blues / ragtime instrumentals which I throw in sometimes, but otherwise it is covers from me. My tastes run to more obscure stuff that many have never heard before, so if they are listening it sounds fresh and new, although I didn't write it. With songwriters like McCartney, Guy Clark, Paul Simon, James Taylor, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot et al out there, what unique thing do I have to contribute?
I like your style Earl49. I'm 75 and pretty much stopped writing when I retired 16 years ago, because byandlarge I became "happy" !

I've never done songs about drugs 'cos that has never been my thing, but I've sung sad songs about lost love, and loneliness 'cos Jimmie Rodgers and Hank Williams wrote them so well for us.

I wrote this song but mainly just for the riff.

And this one, about being (nicely) haunted by my Dad.

Old 08-30-2023, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Hey,
We’re gonna’ have to try that!
Sweet Caroline is the main culprit. The other two we like.
and I like Sweet Caroline, in part because it makes Rokdog crazy to play it! a more serious answer to the OP question: we play covers because we typically only play songs we actually like and that we do well. The venues we play are hiring us to provide a pleasant and substantive atmosphere that brings in people who are willing to spend money. To take an adversarial stance like 'we don't play covers' would defeat this goal. We do play some originals that are generally well received, but don't have enough of them for three sets. All the best to those playing all originals, it's just not a goal for our duo as there are too many great songs already out there.
Old 08-30-2023, 08:48 AM

I've played in cover rock bands for years as a bassist. I had no problems with playing either cover tunes or original material as my role was to play each song to the best of my ability.

As for those who are critical of cover bands, think of this: Isn't a world-class symphony orchestra such as the New York Philharmonic essentially just a cover band?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-30-2023, 09:59 AM

Yep…I am a “cover” guy. Don’t write anymore, nor do I have the desire to. I will say that I appreciate people that write originals. If there was no one writing originals I would have nothing to play, right?

We are all just making music. Some create and some interpret the songs we do. Anybody who may feel that writing and playing originals sets them above anyone else (IMHO) is a bit out there.

I really do respect those who create originals that I have chosen to play. Perhaps you will write one that is interesting enough for us to learn and play…..

Two sides to the coin, and you need both sides to have any value
Old 08-30-2023, 10:35 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I’ve been playing for 47 years. In the time leading-up to beginning guitar, I had original song ideas developing in my mind, so once I began to play, I worked on those and continued to create new originals for some time.

A part of that focus was because I didn’t feel I could play covers well enough to do them justice, whereas no one could be overly critical of my originals, with no one to compare to. I continued like that for a few years, then slowly started playing covers and have continued down that path ever since, while still creating originals.

I could be wrong, but perhaps some say they only perform originals because they don’t have the confidence, or fear criticism if compared to the original, so they avoid it. If so, I would encourage to step out of their comfort zone and embrace, even if putting their own spin, which is never a bad thing.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:37 AM

Yep…I am a “cover” guy. Don’t write anymore, nor do I have the desire to. I will say that I appreciate people that write originals. If there was no one writing originals I would have nothing to play, right?

We are all just making music. Some create and some interpret the songs we do. Anybody who may feel that writing and playing originals sets them above anyone else (IMHO) is a bit out there.

I really do respect those who create originals that I have chosen to play. Perhaps you will write one that is interesting enough for us to learn and play…..

Two sides to the coin, and you need both sides to have any value.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm coming late to this party, but my goal in my current era of performing is to get booked for gigs, so I'm Cover-Palooza for sure, as are most of the local musicians I have come to know and follow. I'm also a songwriter--though it's been awhile--and my best songs are quite catchy if I do say so myself. But even if I had three hours of original material at that high level, I'd have a hard time getting regular bookings around here that way.

There are a few local bands I know that are virtually all-original--I enjoy them and have invested some time and resources into boosting one of them. One is sort of a fusion/soul/bluesy band that a casual listener would call a jam band. Another I'll broadly call Americana. They especially are a breath of fresh air. The third is very hard to describe--their musicianship is epic--but hard to describe means hard to pitch and I see them gigging much less than the other two.

I try to emphasize covers that might not be done as much anymore, or lesser-known tunes by hitmakers, which helps distinguish me. And I do throw in several of my best originals, which hasn't repulsed anyone far as I can tell. Though I've never had anything like the splendid success of Silly Moustache, that's wonderful.

There's a running joke with a couple bands--I have to think, not just here--that post tip amounts for the warhorses. I think one band's going rate for Wagon Wheel is $50. The thing is though, Wagon Wheel, Country Roads and even Sweet Caroline and the like always generate a great reaction from paying customers, at which point ya gotta ask, who are you playing for. Tennessee Whiskey is making the rounds here now.

That being said we should all avoid playing songs that are a chore as much as possible. I'm finally at the point where my setlist has some depth and I can throw away some of the clunkers that were easy to learn and polish. The neat thing about most of my covers, which is to say most of what I perform, is that I love playing them, especially when I'm singing well. But I'm not aware of any anti-original backlash in my circles lol. Admiration is more like it.

Last edited by Chriscom; 08-30-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:02 AM

If you don't know where to book gigs to play original music, then I take it you also don't know where to go to listen to original music, outside of giant venues?

There are a lot of original music venues of all sizes. Most artists I Iisten to started as original artists, and they have to play somewhere.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:37 AM

I'm not sure what the rationale is for not playing covers, but I know for myself learning a cover always teaches me something new about playing and songwriting. If it's somehow a concern about maintaining creative integrity, I figure if Dylan and the Beatles were okay with doing covers then who am I to disagree.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-30-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood&wire View Post
I didn't realize there was so much animosity around here against those who choose to write their own songs. Who do you think you're covering?
Gosh, I haven't interpreted a single post here that displayed overt animosity toward those who write their own songs. Who would criticize that?

Quote:
but I am also not going to get a boner by bragging about how many covers I do know.
I don't know; I feel like we're reading a different thread here—no previous mention of boners to my knowledge.

Quote:
I have been accused of showing off I don't understand this phenomenon. It's almost like they are more jealous than anything. Like since they lack the ability, motivation, or desire to create something original, that they have to poo poo on those who do have those traits. Projection maybe?
As I mentioned earlier, I had magical experiences living in Nashville with the many singer/songwriter get-togethers that are so prevalent in the area. I hadn't a nano-second of animosity or jealousy. But these guys and gals are honed at their craft, and on some levels, I admire them more than the artists who eventually benefit from their writing. I certainly have never met you, and perhaps, indeed, you're an artist who has risen to the level of which your originals allow for abandoning most covers. That's a rare and coveted place to be, and if so, I admire what you've accomplished. That's a territory very few get the pleasure to enjoy.

On the other hand, and this is just my own experience, the grand, grand majority of folks I've run into who proffer a disinterest in covers in favor of their originals often (but not always), unfortunately, sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. Primarily unaware of how bad they are. I want to reiterate that this is not directed at you but more a reflection of what I've experienced in the past. If one is capable of writing compelling, well-crafted originals that capture an audience, I'm gonna be the first in line to watch and listen.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I I've yet to hear a standard audience member remark about how they enjoy a performer's versions of covers. .
I wish you could come to one of our shows! All we do is change up standard classics and present them in a new refreshed way. That can be as simple as a band pop song done acoustic or really changing up the arrangement, feel, style, tempo, etc. The audience loves it. Not unusual to get a stare then a big smile when they figure out the song we’re playing. Kashmir acoustic? Thompson twins “Dr Dr” , The Cure, Spandu Ballet “true”, Tainted Love, all acoustic? Michael Jackson, Elton John, Bee Gees Staying alive, STP, and so on acoustic? Yes! We do that.

Other than a tribute act, I’m not a fan of replicating the original score.

come to one of our shows just east of Atlanta!
http://mikeandkayte.com

Last edited by mike o; 08-30-2023 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I like your style Earl49. I'm 75 and pretty much stopped writing when I retired 16 years ago, because by and large I became "happy" !
Thanks, Andy. And nice playing, as per usual. We'll never meet in person (I don't fly any longer and won't ever get to your side of the Pond) but we would have a great time jamming together. Lots of overlapping repertoire.

My first reaction to this thread: "I don't do covers... because I enjoy complaining about being an *unemployed musician*".
Old 08-30-2023, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Gosh, I haven't interpreted a single post here that displayed overt animosity toward those who write their own songs. Who would criticize that?

I don't know; I feel like we're reading a different thread here—no previous mention of boners to my knowledge.
Maybe we are reading a different thread:

Quote:
we're really there to entertain "them", not ourselves the quicker we get that, the more gigs we'll play.
Like I said in my original post, I completely understand the necessity to land gigs and earn a living wage but saying people who play originals are in it to "entertain themselves" is insulting. The whole reason many folks write songs is to try to find connections with their listeners.

Quote:
Personally, I have not done any gigging, as I am not good enough at guitar or piano to perform in front of a live audience yet, but...

I think to absolutely insist on only playing original music would be insane (or an act of vanity). I mean even top billing, multi-platinum artists play amazing covers of other artists at their own shows.
"Insane" and an "act of vanity"? Hello?

Quote:
I'm a happily married 60-something professional white guy with no substance abuse problems. So it feels like I have nothing to complain about, and whining seems to be the gist of most singer-songwriter stuff (outside of the professional realm). Our favorite private joke: do you want a block of cheese with that whine?
Not every singer/songwriter is Elliott Smith. Do you cover "whining" songs? Because if you don't, the non-whining songs you do cover were also written by a singer/songwriter.

Quote:
Better be **** entertaining if you donÂ’t do covers. Hell even the top selling artists do covers. ItÂ’s a bit of arrogance I think.
I think for someone to make this statement ^ takes "a bit of arrogance"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I had magical experiences living in Nashville with the many singer/songwriter get-togethers that are so prevalent in the area. I hadn't a nano-second of animosity or jealousy. But these guys and gals are honed at their craft, and on some levels, I admire them more than the artists who eventually benefit from their writing. I certainly have never met you, and perhaps, indeed, you're an artist who has risen to the level of which your originals allow for abandoning most covers. That's a rare and coveted place to be, and if so, I admire what you've accomplished. That's a territory very few get the pleasure to enjoy.

On the other hand, and this is just my own experience, the grand, grand majority of folks I've run into who proffer a disinterest in covers in favor of their originals often (but not always), unfortunately, sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. Primarily unaware of how bad they are. I want to reiterate that this is not directed at you but more a reflection of what I've experienced in the past. If one is capable of writing compelling, well-crafted originals that capture an audience, I'm gonna be the first in line to watch and listen.
Maybe that's a problem in Nashville but where I live, for every cover band out there you will find 20 original artists. Sure, not every original writer is honed at playing their instrument like Jimmy Page but do you actually believe sub-par cover bands don't exist? It's almost like you hold singer/songwriters to this lofty high standard but cover artists get a pass to be hacks.

And one major issue I have with this thread is that the OP laid it out as only having two choices: Those who only do covers and those who only do originals. Like many others have stated, it's good to play both and a lot of people fall somewhere in the middle ground, including myself. Why wasn't "both" an option in the OP? IMHO it was not hard for the conversation to take on an us vs them theme. Not everyone but a few made it known that they are an "us" and people like me are a "them".

I'm sorry if you didn't see that but I'm not surprised. I tried to make my original statement to be inclusive of both cover and original artists while also offering an alternative and valid perspective from the most outspoken voices in the thread that I multi-quoted above. I dunno, maybe some people don't read everything before replying. My apologies for not spelling things out in a manner for all to comprehend. Being misunderstood is great songwriting fodder BTW.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write