The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think on some of the models I've listened to on YouTube they took the "bluesy" thing too far. It's almost as if they were building a $400 guitar, jacking the price up and calling it "old time sound." To me it's just a cheap sound. Half that "old time sound" is from old recording equipment and the other half is because they played on cheap guitars.

I'd love to have a Waterloo, but I'm getting suspicious.

Somebody point me back to the light, lol.

The craftsmanship and playability are pure Collings. Whether you like the tone or not, these ain't no $400 guitars. Play one and you'll know.

Last edited by Guest 728; 03-09-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:59 AM

Willie just nailed it. They're a Collings guitar without all the fancier appointments. It all depends on how adaptable you are to different guitars and sounds. Heck, even the WL-S Deluxe looks fancy but if you read the description closely, those fancy looking inlays on the fingerboard aren't pearl, they're actually an acrylic material. Where the higher price comes in is the wood marquetry around guitar and sound hole! That stuff is very time consuming and if you notice, you don't see as many of these offered in the market. Course you can go the cheaper route and get a WL-S plain too. I know, at one time, Steve told Bill they didn't
need to build the Deluxe because Steve felt they were spending too much time on the all that wood binding, lol, I'm sure glad Bill didn't listen,,,,again! Steve also, initially, didn't think the Waterloo line was going to work and be successful.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:15 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
The craftsmanship and playability are pure Collings. Whether you like the tone or not, these ain't no $400 guitars. Play one and you'll know.
As long as they sound like this I'm good.

and this,

and this,

But not this,

So what's the real sound? Which recordings are "doctored up"? Obviously not the last one.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

None of them are "doctor up", whatever that means.

One of them is either a good recording of a bad sounding guitar, a bad recording of a good sounding guitar or a bad recording of a bad sounding guitar.

The other ones would appear to be good recordings of good sounding guitars.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post
None of them are "doctor up", whatever that means.

One of them is either a good recording of a bad sounding guitar, a bad recording of a good sounding guitar or a bad recording of a bad sounding guitar.

The other ones would appear to be good recordings of good sounding guitars.

Or.... the last video is what they really sound like.

Kind of like the first time you saw your girlfriend without make up on,

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-10-2018, 03:32 PM

I think it is odd that people are moved to buy these Waterloo guitars rather than an original Kalamazoo KG-14 from the 30's for about the same money. If you can find a good one (and there are a lot of them around) they are a wonderful light-weight guitar fantastic for fingerpicking. Very loud, and great to cut through other instruments. These are the guitars Waterloo copied, and you are looking at wood close to 80 years old or so. I have one and it is my number two guitar after a rosewood Martin OM. It is a perfect compliment to a cross braced rosewood guitar because it is so different. Just my two cents worth...
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Or.... the last video is what they really sound like.

Kind of like the first time you saw your girlfriend without make up on,

You're giving the recording process to much credit or being intentional obtuse.

You need to play these things to make you feel comfortable. Videos, in hand descriptions and testimonials don't make you feel comfortable. I get that, retail, they are a shiny penny.

And your wife looked fine without make up.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:18 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
So what's the real sound? Which recordings are "doctored up"? Obviously not the last one.
This is the problem when you rely on videos -- for better or worse, you're judging tone based largely on microphone placement. Go play one instead.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:20 PM

Gifrob, my Kalamazoo sounded pretty good, played OK and I regret I sold it. But it was not the guitar my Waterloo WL-12Mh is. About the only thing going for the Kalamazoo was its age, and that also worked against it.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I think it is odd that people are moved to buy these Waterloo guitars rather than an original Kalamazoo KG-14 from the 30's for about the same money.
I do understand your point of view. And a lot of folks will agree with it. But a lot of folks want a high quality new guitar with a warranty and no potential hidden problems. It is similar, IMO, to the reason a lot of folks buy new boutique builds of Fender Tweed and Blackface amps instead of buying the vintage amps themselves.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robey View Post

And your wife looked fine without make up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
This is the problem when you rely on videos -- for better or worse, you're judging tone based largely on microphone placement. Go play one instead.
I'll have to get out and find some to play this summer.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-10-2018, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Better build, better playability, little maintenance (neck resets, frets, etc) for awhile.

Quote:
I think it is odd that people are moved to buy these Waterloo guitars rather than an original Kalamazoo KG-14 from the 30's for about the same money.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
I'm sure there are some great Kalamazoos and Stellas out there, but taking the risk of purchasing a "project" rather than a guitar holds absolutely zero appeal to me. I'd also wager that the current materials and construction quality are far superior. In spite of its heritage and inspiration, this is no department store guitar:

Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think it is odd that people are moved to buy these Waterloo guitars rather than an original ...
Note that I have been through the experience of vintage, collectable, old worn mojo guitars. I have also been through enough guitars and equipment to know a slight difference in tone or timber isn't anything to wet your panties over. These are the real deal. Not the original but they are the real deal. They are a first class build. Plus they are fun. Having an original is a little serious.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 PM

I would agree with all that's been said. Wilie and Mr. Jelly make the point clear. As a person who owns 3 old Gibsons, 2 wartime Banner LG2s, a 1943 and a 1944, and one 1934 museum quality 14 fret L-Century Gibson. These guitars are fun to play but do they intonate as well as Waterloos? It's not even close, IMO.

That's some beautiful figuring on that Maple, Willie!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion