The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Default Is Tom Brady Kaput?

Pretty pathetic performance last night by Brady & Co. But I don't think we've seen the last of Tom Terrific just yet. But of course the sports media already has him dead and buried.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:24 PM

I don't have a particularly vested interest in American football. However, I feel the general sports media isn't unlike the stock market; they tend to exaggerate the relevance of any change they see.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:10 PM

His offensive line is done. They were awful. The D was really, really bad too. Not that Tom doesn't deserve his share of the blame but that was truly a team loss. But if they don't fix that O line, then yes, he is done. In New England at least.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
His offensive line is done. They were awful. The D was really, really bad too. Not that Tom doesn't deserve his share of the blame but that was truly a team loss. But if they don't fix that O line, then yes, he is done. In New England at least.
Good observation. Many people underestimate the importance of the offensive line. Even great QB's can't do much if they are running for their lives or on their backs. Case in point, the Dallas Cowboys. In the heyday of Staubach and Troy Aikman, the Cowboys had a GREAT offensive line. But those guys got old and left the game. And in recent years, instead of drafting high profile ball carriers, the Cowboys have been drafting linemen.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Pretty pathetic performance last night by Brady & Co. But I don't think we've seen the last of Tom Terrific just yet. But of course the sports media already has him dead and buried.
Actually, the media I see is burying the front office for their value first personnel policy that has given Tom an interesting supporting cast the past two years. They invested some money in some not too great players on offense -- in the trenches and the skill guys.

max
Old 09-30-2014, 03:26 PM

Well, to be fair, Edelman seemed to blow a few routes, and when he connected with Brady he dropped the ball more often than not. Getting rid of LeGarrette Blount looks like a mistake; I don't think Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are as good. Amendola did nothing. Offensive line did not protect Brady. He made Geno Smith look like his peer; in fact Geno had a better game. Defense didn't help either...

But basically, the Pats couldn't establish a running game, so their receivers didn't have many chances to get open. I hate to say I took pleasure in the Chiefs running them over because I despise Brady. What can I say, I'm a Jets fan...
Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM

Whose head rolls first, Brady or Belichick?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Whose head rolls first, Brady or Belichick?
Neither. They're both there for the complete season.

Given the division that New England plays in, I think they'll make the playoffs. Don't expect much when they get there though. Even though the offense is sputtering it would be nice to see the Defense help out a little more.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! No offensive line and he's past his prime...LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Within 3 weeks Kraft will o.k. the purchase of 3 offensive starters. The PATS will be back!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Letting Logan Mankins go was a big blow, but Belichick did it before when he let Lawyer Milloy and Richard Seymour go. So, I have faith in him for the time being.

If the O line starts playing better to protect Tom and open some holes in the running game, the offense will be, more or less, fine. What no one talks about is that the Pats have no deep threat to open the field. A deep threat does two things: 1) It opens the shorter to intermediate routes, and 2) It pushes the safeties further back so that can't push into the box and also stop the run. Granted, you must have time to throw deep, but the Pats still don't have a deep threat.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 AM

The offensive line is the biggest problem. So you're up against a team that has a hard time stopping the run. Your line can't provide adequate pass protection. Your QB is getting hammered, is a bit gun shy, and can't throw it very far.

Naturally the thing to do in this scenario is open the game with 15 passes in your first 20 plays. It's a mystery until you realize that the Offensive Coordinator is the same guy that burned 4 prime draft picks so he could move up to pick Tim Tebow. He must have copies of the Spy Gate videos. Not only is he still employed, there is noise that he is Belichick's successor.

They're going nowhere this year, but a good start would be to dump Josh McDaniels.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:07 AM

My nephew, who has since retired from the NFL, played starting offensive right guard for the Pats and has three Super Bowl rings from playing under Brady and Belichick. He told me anyone who counts out Tom Brady & Belichick will do it to their everlasting regret. I tend to believe him.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:17 AM

Andrew Luck seems to have no problem playing with a lousy offensive line.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Andrew Luck seems to have no problem playing with a lousy offensive line.
Yes, and he's 12 years younger than Brady. He's played in about 40 games vs 223 for Brady. Brady also has no foot speed, never has. Brady doesn't have a Reggie Wayne to throw to either.

And yet both teams are sitting at 2-2 at the moment. I'm pretty sure a bad offensive line is a problem for any team. That said, when Luck is 37, he'll have problems if his O line isn't any good. In between, I'm sure we'll be watching a future HOF player in the making.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM

If Tom Brady is "finished" as an NFL quarterback (and I don't believe for a moment that he is), maybe he can come back to Michigan and coach.

Though I can't see Giselle settling in Ann Arbor.

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic