The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-29-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Long Jon wrote : "Dan Tyminski's voice is outstanding and Jerry Douglas' slide playing just sublime on this one, although I'm not certain of the meaning of the song".

Jon, if you grew your own fruit and veg - you'd probably understand the metaphor a little more.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::edit:::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::
I have had a good deal of success in growing my own kinda weedy "veg" , thanks. Gotta hoe out any male plants early on, IIRC.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
My apologies for that slur Andy. I hope I have not sent you into a downward spiral of depression ...
(Which your superior playing is doing to me, -there's a band-aid for your "wound" mate-).
I thought you'd take everything, apart maybe from "off-topic rants", as a compliment !

Congrats on getting the vid-posting thing sorted, I think it is a great, post-enlivening tool that the technical geniuses have given us and it's there to be used.
Aw, I'll get over it Jon, (It'll take time and TLC, but I'll get over it ;0)

BTW - thank you for this thread - I honestly didn't know about the option before, and will use it again in future.

If you care to, have a wander though my Youtube Channel "Silly Moustache" - there might be some other things you like ....how about seeing/hearing yours ?
Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Aw, I'll get over it Jon, (It'll take time and TLC, but I'll get over it ;0)

BTW - thank you for this thread - I honestly didn't know about the option before, and will use it again in future.

If you care to, have a wander though my Youtube Channel "Silly Moustache" - there might be some other things you like ....how about seeing/hearing yours ?
Thanks Andy, I did have a look at some of your other stuff and I bow down before you accordingly.

I have done a few open mics, but I'm pretty rubbish and not ready to commit to the immortality of publishing my attempts on line.
I am not shy, but performing for civilians is a whole new discipline, compared to mucking about with your playing buddies, which I have done for years.
Main difference for me is you can't just stop dead without warning and swig a beer or whatever. You always have to see it thru'. Not my strong suite.

In that other thread about showing pics of yourself with your guitar, I got my friend to quickly snap that pic of me with her little cam.
It was honestly the first new one I'd looked at for a long time. (I am NOT a selfie kinda guy and my 'phone is very dumb.)

Then I got her to film me playing a couple of songs to see how I might appear/sound to others.

What a cruel and frightening educational tool the video camera is !

The first thing I wonder is: "When did I get so old and ugly ?"

"Why am I closing my eyes/doing some kinda "guitar face"?" is another.

"It's a simple C to G ,,, so why did I play a bloody Em there fer Gaw'sake ??!!" is another common one.

I did spot someone filming at an o.m I did recently, but I think he may have been working for the benefits agency !
Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jon, all the vids posted on Y/T thus far have been made in my conservatory, lounge or the spare bedroom with a Zoom Q3 - great little machine but "Lo-Def".

I've now got a later version - Q2 (£80) which is "High-definition", but not so good in ortger ways - doesn't focus so close and the screen is smaller, but I'll post some soon, it's worth getting one of these things if only to help your5aself improve - when you see how others see you.

We have "filmed" some full length gigs with the bands but so far not put any up for public consumption.

These machine record to an SD card so its easy to plop it into your PC or lap-top and view/listen to it, and of course you can dump all the ones you don't like.

I did a talk on photography last night and two people were taking pics on their "smart-*** phones" all the time - irritating - and phones went off THREE times during the evening - infuriating. I'd ban the buggers.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Hi Jon, all the vids posted on Y/T thus far have been made in my conservatory, lounge or the spare bedroom with a Zoom Q3 - great little machine but "Lo-Def".

I've now got a later version - Q2 (£80) which is "High-definition", but not so good in ortger ways - doesn't focus so close and the screen is smaller, but I'll post some soon, it's worth getting one of these things if only to help your5aself improve - when you see how others see you.

We have "filmed" some full length gigs with the bands but so far not put any up for public consumption.

These machine record to an SD card so its easy to plop it into your PC or lap-top and view/listen to it, and of course you can dump all the ones you don't like.

I did a talk on photography last night and two people were taking pics on their "smart-*** phones" all the time - irritating - and phones went off THREE times during the evening - infuriating. I'd ban the buggers.
While I agree with you Andy, "STRING 'EM UP !" I say, it is close to turning into an example of one of the off-topic rants I mentioned earlier ...

Don't stop tho' mate ! I love that stuff !
Old 10-03-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
I have had a good deal of success in growing my own kinda weedy "veg" , thanks. Gotta hoe out any male plants early on, IIRC.
you should write a song about that, and how it gets the girl in the end.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic