The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 AM

Default Trade-want to then don't feelings?

Ever have the feeling of wanting to trade or sell a guitar but then play it and just feel like you can't do it? Been having shoulder issues and don't see it going away so was thinking of trading for a smaller guitar but when I just look at mine I think why. Hard decision.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:46 AM

Not hard for me. Make the decision from the facts/information you have. Then move on. Hopefully the one you trade/sell it for will be better for you. For me they are tools and if the tool isn't getting the job done, it's time for it to go.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 AM

Not really. I think every trade I've made resulted in a significant upgrade. Sure, like to have some of those traded guitars around, but there is a limit to how many of these things you need.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Cardinal rule: never, ever, ever play any guitar once it's been posted for sale. It magically becomes a better sounding/playing guitar simply but virtue of the "for sale/trade" post?!?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:00 AM

I have arthritis in my left shoulder and it was bad enough that I had to have assistance putting on a shirt so playing the guitar was near impossible. That got me playing a mandolin but it just wasn't the same gratification I got from the guitar.

I have been blessed to be able to get back in the trenches with my guitars and hope I never have to set them aside. But if I faced the same situation again, I would be hard pressed to sell but likely would.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 AM

Yup. And some of the worst mistakes I have made were trading away certain guitars.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:45 AM

yes
I almost sold my Taylor 110 not once but twice.
Both times, I stopped at the last minute.
I just cannot seem to let that guitar go.
I have sold guitars in the past, only to
strongly regret it later, and could not get them back,
so I have learned my lesson the hard way.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Yes. I had a meeting set to trade my Bourgeois Vintage OM for a Collings dreadnought. There was a misunderstanding about the time, and in the the hour I sat here playing I decided not to get rid of the Bourgeois.

I also listed my Guild JF30 here recently, and later I deleted the ad.

Right now I'm not even looking at guitars. I'm going to chase music instead of guitars.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Cardinal rule: never, ever, ever play any guitar once it's been posted for sale. It magically becomes a better sounding/playing guitar simply but virtue of the "for sale/trade" post?!?
I agree! I've got a guitar for sale now that I made the mistake of pulling out of the case last time I listed it and pulled it off the classifieds . I have relisted it now and am leaving it in the case this time
Old 11-19-2014, 11:29 AM

Yep leave the guitar in the case and act like you don't have it anymore.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:30 AM

There's times when I feel like I want to sell or trade one of my guitars.

Then I clean it all up real nice, re-string it, and make sure everything is properly aligned.

That's the point where I fall in love all over again and those thoughts of selling or trading seems to disappear.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:56 AM

my d15m. it was my first nicer acoustic. I have CTS and the nut width bothers me when fingerpicking. Everytime I pick it up though its special. imo it outplays every other one I have layed my hands on.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Trade-want to then don't feelings?

This happens with every good guitar I want to sell or trade. It's usually because the guitar isn't ideally suited to me in some way, but not because it isn't a good guitar. So every time I pick it up I think "dang! That's a good guitar. Why would I sell it?"

Only once or twice have I ever said "good riddance" to a bad guitar. For the good ones, it's just a matter of reminding yourself of why you wanted to sell or trade it. I just let go of a great guitar because the nut width and scale length were less ideal for me than the ones on my other guitars. It sounded and played great, was in great shape, and definitely made me happy to play it - but I got to the point where I had so many guitars that keeping ones that weren't ideal just wasn't worth the clutter.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM

I have traded and sold a lot of guitars over the many years. My observations are as follows:

If I had kept them all, there are many that I would have never had the pleasure to have owned.

I have refined my tastes over time, and now have a pretty good idea of what I like and don't like

It doesn't cost you anything to keep a guitar that you are waffling over selling.

Unless you need the money, don't be in a big yank to part with an old friend.

And lastly, easy to buy, hard to sell...

(Who said that the price of GAS was going down?)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:33 PM

You all know what I'm going through. I love my McIlroy but sometimes it's hard to play with my shoulders. Tried holding different ways but still some pain. Times like this I wish I could have foreseen my ailments and purchased the smaller version.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion