The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2014, 10:11 AM

OK, you guys are reminding me of the lunch joints with the proverbial blue plate special: one meat (often, "mystery meat" or heavily breaded cutlet/chicken-fried steak), two overcooked veggies, and roll or cornbread...all for a really low price. It's not that some of those places don't still exist, just that (1) a huge number have disappeared and (2) the prices ain't so cheap any more.

When I can still find places like that, I make a point to patronize 'em.

Here in San Antonio, I've seen ancient dives called Quinney's, Blue Parrot, The White House and many others go bye-bye. One called M.K. Davis still exists. So does De Wese's Tip Top Cafe. Go if you're ever in the vicinity.

Dirk
Old 09-26-2014, 10:18 AM

privacy....

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 09-26-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
Where there were 30 minutes of local news at 630pm instead of 1.5 hours. I do not remember it, but before that it was 15 local and 15 national.
Yep. The 15/15 format was that way all the time I was in elementary and most of junior high. Huntley/Brinkley on NBC, Cronkite on CBS, don't recall who was on ABC. I could be wrong, but I THINK that here in the Central Time Zone, news still started at 6 pm. There was some other show (quiz show or other) that was on from 6:30 to 7:00, when prime time programs began.

Seems to me that the expansion into a half-hour each for local and national news started...what? Early, mid '60s?

Dirk
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

...those hoky horror film shows like "Creature Feature" on late night Saturday television...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:53 AM

Everybody owning a somewhat decent, if not superlative, stereo system.
I think this will come back soon enough as music becomes important once again and people appreciate quality sound more.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
Everybody owning a somewhat decent, if not superlative, stereo system.
I think this will come back soon enough as music becomes important once again and people appreciate quality sound more.
Good catch there T&T ! I myself am guilty of having let this one slide.

I had a serious stereo about ten years ago, left it with my ex. Never got round to getting another proper system.

Making do with just some mid-price little PC speakers and some cans.

Moving it up my list.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Wow--our paths did indeed intersect!...After moving from Brownsville to E. Flatbush, I went to high school (Tilden) with Julie Grabstein, and her folks’ deli was a neighborhood hub. I remember the Campus Deli, Wolfy’s (its FL outpost, Wolfy’s Rascal House, still survives down in Boca), and the Sugar Bowl...Andreas the counterman used to call all of us girls, “hey, pretty blue eyes” no matter what color our eyes. He would say “I am Greek god. Run away with me. But first I make you Greek salad”...

I remember Pitkin Ave. was the center of the Brownsville universe--the Loewe’s Pitkin, the dry goods shops; and the line of police cars outside Fortunoff’s every Sunday--the store freely violated the city’s “blue laws” and the local constabulary enjoyed a healthy little side income in return for looking the other way. Back then, it sold everything but clothes & furniture--for jewelry you went to your neighborhood jeweler (or up to Diamond Row along 47th St. for the eventual "rock”). I also remember the only other stuff you could buy on Sun. were fresh baked goods and whatever milk, eggs, and newspapers the bakery sold--or from the corner candy store along with your egg cream, candy bars, comic books and tchotchkes like yo-yos (and spare strings), wooden tops (needle point or the pricier ball-bearing), Spaldeens and Fli-Bak paddles. (Wonder how many AGFers are scratching their heads in puzzlement over the words “egg cream,” “Spaldeen,” and “Fli-Bak”)? Blew my mind when we first arrived in Seattle after our wedding in ’71 and found both supermarkets and department stores open on Sundays!
It's obviously been a while since you've set foot in Brooklyn, so let me fill you in:

As I said before, with the sole exception of Adelman's all the kosher delis are gone, along with all the stores on Hillel Place/Campus Road/the Junction - the bookstores, clothing stores, jeweler, as well as the local eateries (Wolfie's, Big Daddy's, Sugar Bowl, Chock Full o'Nuts, Jentz, Pizza Den) and drinkeries (Jolly Bull Pub, Glenwood Rest, Duffy's). To its credit the Sugar Bowl outlasted the rest of them: former counterman Jimmy bought out the business when the old man retired, absorbed the next-door bookstore as well as the competing diner on the corner, and continued to run things for the next quarter-century, finally closing down in 2005. When my daughter was enrolled in the BC College for Kids in the early-90's we went there for breakfast (first time in 20 years for me); before I could say a word Jimmy looked at me, smiled, and said, "I know you, I used to see you all the time with your girlfriend - tall, long hair, glasses" (talk about a memory!)...

The legendary Andreas retired in 1974, on Greek Independence Day - they devoted a full-page article to him in the Kingsman - moved back to Greece, and kept in regular contact with Jimmy - to quote the latter, "You thought he was cuckoo then - he's even more cuckoo now..." I'm sure that between the two of us we could recount enough Andreas stories to fill up an entire forum of its own, but my personal favorite was the knife-and-cleaver fight/shouting match he got into with the old man one afternoon, as I was having lunch with aforementioned ex-GF (her first visit to the Sugar Bowl, BTW); when it was over he calmly strolled to our table (one of the long ones with the knee-high stools), whispered "Hello, beautiful" and told me, "You got beautiful girl - take good care of her." As we walked out she took my left arm in a death grip and hissed, "Don't you DARE ever bring me in there again" - she didn't realize that this was just another Thursday-afternoon-as-usual...

You had Pitkin Avenue, I had Avenue U; you had Fortunoff's, I had Fae-Mart - and we both had egg creams, Spaldeens, Fli-Backs, tops, and yo-yos (not to mention Ebinger's and Krug's cakes) when we were kids. Unlike Brownsville/East New York - it would kill you (figuratively and/or literally ) to see it now - Gravesend/Bensonhurst has (with the exception of the projects) managed to redefine itself and survive; I still teach there, and the former overwhelmingly Italian/Jewish student demographic has shifted to East European/Asian/Middle Eastern/Latino, almost all of whom are either immigrant or first-generation. Having grown up in the neighborhood/ attended one local junior high/taught at the other, I often tell my students about how it was "back then" - the aforementioned amusements, schoolyard/park/church dances (where teens/tweens actually danced with each other - and I honed my early chops providing the music), Coney Island in the last days of Steeplechase/Ravenhall and Washington Baths/the three great roller coasters (Cyclone-Tornado-Thunderbolt), hanging out on the stoop until all hours on a hot night (nobody had A/C in those days), going out with a bunch of guys/girls and not having to worry about being shot/stabbed - and the inevitable reaction is:

"Gee, Mr. D - it must have been really cool when you were growing up..."

Uh, yeah...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 09-28-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...those hoky horror film shows like "Creature Feature" on late night Saturday television...
They still have stuff like that in my neck of the woods!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch
What are some minutiae that have quietly faded away over the years?... Little little stuff.
I could list children's toys like tire swings, marbles, jacks, stilts, etc. Or I could refer to 8-track and cassette tape recordings. Bell bottoms, Nehru jackets, or Madras shirts that faded on purpose. Sky King or Mr. Greenjeans or Pat Brady or Tonto or every kid's dream to be a Mousekateer.

But what this thread called up in my mind was not minutiae or little, little stuff at all, but AGFers who are no longer with us. No, not the ones who just don't hang out here much any more, but those who have graduated this life. That's an inappropriate hijack for this thread, I know, so I'll search the archives for a thread where we listed a few of these folks. When I find it, I'll start a new thread.

Meanwhile, little, little things? Remember when photons and electrons were thought to be the smallest building blocks of the universe? Now we have $4.98 cartons of ice cream smaller than that!

cotten
Old 09-29-2014, 04:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
-- Bells There used to be alarm bells, bells on emergency vehicles, bells on telephones, door bells.
Yup - now Sussex sounds like Los Angeles ! (I live near a dangerous road and a hospital!)
Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 AM

Not many door knockers around. Or postage due stamps. Silver coins in circulation... I remember as a kid still finding an Indian head penny or Buffalo nickel or a Franklin half. Old DYMO label stamper; the new ones are thermal printers and capable of interfacing with a computer and print with True Type fonts. Flip phones.. wish I could have one with a touch screen. Subway tokens, instead of MetroCards. Nextel push to talk phones (I'm sure they exist still in some form.) TV commercial jingles (save for McDonald's.) Pagers or beepers (unless you're a doctor...) Fisher space pen and astronaut ice cream; still around but not as big a deal as when I was a kid. Rubber bowling balls. Public towel rolls, the ones that looped around a metal holder... just gross thing of it now. 2 liter glass soda bottles. I remember when Mead mad a huge deal of the Trapper Keeper. Magicians in the style of Copperfield and Blackstone. Wired remotes. Fortune cookies that actualy have fortunes, not stupid messages proverbs and Lotto numbers. I remember as a child when I was sick and my father would rub Vicks VapoRub on my chest.. any parent out there still do that? The door to door vacuuum salesman... is Kirby still around?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMusician View Post
Common Sense and Respect for Others

I wonder every day where these two things have gone! Wish I'd see much more of both.
You can find the Common Sense portion in the book written by Glenn Beck.

In any era, great Americans inspire us to reach our full potential. They know with conviction what they believe within themselves. They understand that all actions have consequences. And they find commonsense solutions to the nation’s problems. ?

One such American, Thomas Paine, was an ordinary man who changed the course of history by penning Common Sense, the concise 1776 masterpiece in which, through extraordinarily straightforward and indisputable arguments, he encouraged his fellow citizens to take control of America’s future—and, ultimately, her freedom.

Nearly two and a half centuries later, those very freedoms once again hang in the balance. And now, Glenn Beck revisits Paine’s powerful treatise with one purpose: to galvanize Americans to see past government’s easy solutions, two-party monopoly, and illogical methods and take back our great country.

The book contains Beck's narrative and the appendix which is a reprint of Thomas Paine's original "Common Sense" pamphlet. It's two books in one. It is an eye opener. I have given several copies to friends and one family member.
1993 Yair - Alvarez DY99A
2001 Yairi-Alvarez DY-91 SOLD!
2002 Taylor Stock 810 Ltd.
2003 Taylor 855e
2003 Taylor 814ce Fall Ltd
2003 Tradition Jerry Reid Sig. Telecaster
200? Esteban American Legacy (New Owner Lake Chautauqua Lutheran Center)
Old 09-30-2014, 12:05 PM

For me it was a few things:

1) The true taste of what McDonalds Grilled Hamburgers tasted like. Those burgers and the Apple pies back in the day were great. Today I hate going to McDonals and there cold non tasting burgers.

2) Hostess Twinkies and Hostess products in general. The old 70's hostess twinkies and cakes were the best there ever was. Over time they changed everything and ruined the flavor. Now the true hostess does not exest.

3) The old Aurora racing cars were the best. We had tons of track and had street lights, stop lights and rebuilt the cars to improve the speed on some. even built villages just like on model rail roads. Then we would add a big lay out of HO trains to the mix and had a really cool gigantic layout of trains and cars working together. What ever happed to those good old days and why do not a lot of kids get into them any more.
Taylor 214e SB DLX
Old 09-30-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDogs62 View Post
For me it was a few things:

1) The true taste of what McDonalds Grilled Hamburgers tasted like. Those burgers and the Apple pies back in the day were great. Today I hate going to McDonals and there cold non tasting burgers.

2) Hostess Twinkies and Hostess products in general. The old 70's hostess twinkies and cakes were the best there ever was. Over time they changed everything and ruined the flavor. Now the true hostess does not exest.

3) The old Aurora racing cars were the best. We had tons of track and had street lights, stop lights and rebuilt the cars to improve the speed on some. even built villages just like on model rail roads. Then we would add a big lay out of HO trains to the mix and had a really cool gigantic layout of trains and cars working together. What ever happed to those good old days and why do not a lot of kids get into them any more.
I had the AFX set that you can lay the track on the wall. My brother and I would gun it past the turn and see how high we could launch the cars! Nowadays, I'd like to set up my own 1/24 scale slot car track... We have a place not too far that has a few tracks and cars. I still have my car and controller somewhere...

I remember we used to solder a capacitor in the car, so when it hit a dead spot on the tract, it would just JET! Then the track owners caught on and weren't happy. So we put them in the controller.... Ah, the good ol' days!
Old 09-30-2014, 04:04 PM

Default little things that have faded away...

football.........

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic