The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2015, 11:26 AM

Default LR Baggs Element too HOT!!!

Anybody have this same experience? I've installed 50-60 of these over the years and have much experience with Baggs products and UST's, but this has me stumped. I have a wire clip and proper lead loop under the bridge where the UST exits and it's anchored again on the back of the guitar. String balance is perfect but the overall level is smoking hot!

It's being installed into a Recording King RP-06 Parlor and the only thing i can think of is that the box is just too tiny and can't absorb all that volume. It's favoring a Bb note... Humming into feeback.

Thoughts?
Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 04-21-2015, 08:31 PM

The Baggs preamps are on the hot side. I have the D-Tar which is basically the Element running at 18 volts and that is even hotter. Didn't you install the little thumbwheel volume pot? You should easily be able to reduce the volume with that. What system are you plugging into? It should probably be set for "line level" input.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Yes i did install the volume wheel....I'll just have to drop it back by a 1/3. I also think certain guitars are just more resonant. This little RK is really loud and bass heavy...the combo of the two may just be overkill. Thanks for the input.
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 04-21-2015, 09:54 PM

It's an active system.you won't lose any tone running the volume below full. What were you using it with?
Old 04-22-2015, 03:36 PM

it's a little Recording King Single 0 parlor guitar. I run into an LR Baggs Paracoustic DI into the PA.
‘96 Gibson J-100
Old 04-22-2015, 06:48 PM

Did you adjust the gain on the ParaDi? Dial it back and see if you're still clipping.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 PM

I've used the Element with the PADI but you have 4 stages of gain to contend with. The output of the Element, the input gain of the Baggs PADI, the output volume of the PADI and the input trim on the mixer. I won't include the channel and master faders on the mixer.

It would probably be best to set the thumbwheel at about 75% volume to start. Set the "gain" control on the PADI like it suggests in the manual:

Quote:
2 . S E T T I N G T H E G A I N
Setting the gain: For optimum performance it is important to set the gain correctly to accommodate the output of your pickup, mic or other
device.
Gain is not volume. Gain is the amount of amplification that is applied to an input signal to boost it to a useful level. To accommodate a wide
range of pickups, active devices and such, the Para D.I. has adjustable gain. For instance, if you are using a low-output passive pickup such as the
Ribbon Transducer, and you fail to turn the gain all the way up, you will need to turn the PA up so loud to hear the pickup that there will be a
significant amount of hiss.
Conversely, if you plug a high-output active pickup into the Para D.I. and do not turn down the gain, you will hear a great deal of distortion.
The key is to adjust the gain to find a window between hiss and distortion. The Para D.I. is so quiet that this window is pretty wide, but there is a
smaller "sweet spot" within that window.
With your pickup or mic plugged into the Para D.I., and with the Para D.I. plugged into your PA or amp, play your instrument very hard. Turn the
gain trim up (clockwise) slowly while playing until you begin to hear some distortion, then back the gain off (counter-clockwise) until the
distortion just disappears. This setting will provide both the richest and cleanest sound. Once you have determined your preferred setting, we
recommend that you leave the gain control alone.
Do not use the gain control as a volume control. Using it in this manner will vary the character of your sound as you adjust it up and down.
Gain control settings: This chart shows the approximate recommended gain control setting when using L.R. Baggs pickups and systems.
However, only experimentation with this setting can guarantee ideal results
Baggs recommends setting the output volume of the PADI fairly high. You need to make sure that the input trim of the mixer is set correctly so you get the proper level and signal to noise ratio.

Unfortunately to get the most out of a pickup system, preamp and mixer you need a certain level of understanding for each unit and how it all works together to get the best result.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification