The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM

I am going through this exact process right now. I think the SA220 is about as portable as it gets. The other option is an amp style unit with a speaker stand. I'm sorry I missed the size of the audiences you are playing to?

Incidentally, the thing that bothers me with the Bose is having to add the extra gear like a tone match or like unit to add more inputs and get some reverb. You can cram a few more inputs in the SA220, which is why I keep coming back to it.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:43 PM

Gigging since 1962....lots of amplification gear over the decades and just picked up a fishman 220. My first impression was to return it after messing with it for an evening...it sounded a bit sterile for my ears...the portability factor kept me trying to "make it work". For my taste "warming up the guitar a bit" with something in front of the fishman works great. I do the same on the vocal side of things. My "warmer upper devices" are small and fit in my tote bag. Still one trip in and one out. Happy as a clam.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 PM

C'mon........you can't just leave us all hanging......what are your "warmer-upper devices?"
Old 04-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I am going through this exact process right now. I think the SA220 is about as portable as it gets. The other option is an amp style unit with a speaker stand. I'm sorry I missed the size of the audiences you are playing to?

Incidentally, the thing that bothers me with the Bose is having to add the extra gear like a tone match or like unit to add more inputs and get some reverb. You can cram a few more inputs in the SA220, which is why I keep coming back to it.
I keep coming back to it for those reasons as well. My one hesitation with the SA220 is that some folks say it lacks bass. I'm not sure how I could amend that.

I need to be able to perform for happy hour and bar crowds. I don't foresee ever needing to utilize whatever I end up with for any more than 100-125 people. If I did ever have to play an enormous crowd, I'd probably rent some gear.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'09 Craig Anderson/Burlington Guitars B-2 Custom
'01 Martin DX-1
'00 Fender Stratocaster (Midnight Blue)

facebook.com/whitneyborisenok
Old 04-19-2015, 08:11 PM

I demoed them twice recently and noticed no lack of bass relative to acoustic guitar and voice. Maybe in a band situation, but I can't imagine it being in issue as a solo performer.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancehallking View Post
the inspire ip1000, ip2000, and ip500 are supposed to be just as good as bose & fishman from feedback from sweetwater. Also priced cheaper. However, they are not in full production yet and no hints as to when they will be in stock. Looks promising but the models were announced at NAMM and still not out.
These are extremely intriguing, especially the Bluetooth ability.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 04-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
These are extremely intriguing, especially the Bluetooth ability.

Yes, I have been eyeing those too. Can't find any information on them. I really want to learn about the DSP they are using. The price is terrific for what they are offering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Yes, I have been eyeing those too. Can't find any information on them. I really want to learn about the DSP they are using. The price is terrific for what they are offering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I spoke with a rep at Sweetwater and he didn't have much info, either. He said he expected them to ship before June. That's all I know.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Minor update: I'm going to GC today to mess with the Fishman. Will loop back around afterwards.

'22 Taylor GTe
'17 Taylor GS Mini E Koa
'01 Martin DX-1

Old 04-21-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Minor update: I'm going to GC today to mess with the Fishman. Will loop back around afterwards.
Have fun and take your guitar. Let us know what you think. Still looking for a used one myself.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wborisenok View Post
Please do. My local GC has (3) different flavors of the Bose L1 systems all lined-up in a row and ready for people to try out, but not the Fishman or any other similar type of device. I have always wondered why -- as they will sell / special order Fishman, etc., they do not offer a demo model on the floor. It seems like a great opportunity for comparison, but perhaps there are factors at play involving marketing, floor space, competition issues, etc.

Looking forward to your assessments......
Old 04-21-2015, 12:11 PM

The Guitar Center in San Marcos, California has several acoustic guitar combo amps in one of the rooms in the acoustic section in the back left, Paul. Carvin has a seperate room to test out amps, along with another seperate room to test out P.A. systems. Ric
Old 04-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Guitar Centers often have several brands of acoustic-guitar amps setup in the acoustic-guitar rooms area of the store. These brands will often include Bose Compact, Fishman, Fender, Marshall, Acoustic, etc. In the Pro Sound/PA room, usually you'll see the three Bose systems setup. I suggest prospective buyers check both areas of the store to see what's on-hand and be sure to ask a salesperson about all available brands currently in the store, some of which may not be on display.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-21-2015, 01:04 PM

Our guitar centers have ceased to carry the Fishman SA220 in stock. I have to imagine the margins are not good enough. The Bose L1s are displayed prominently. I think they must sell these with the T1s and other accoutrements to justify the prominent floor space in front AND in the acoustic room. Every way I look at it, the Bose L1 compact, as great as it is, will require a T1 mixer for another $500. It makes it an expensive, albeit high quality, option.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
The Guitar Center in San Marcos, California has several acoustic guitar combo amps in one of the rooms in the acoustic section in the back left, Paul. Carvin has a seperate room to test out amps, along with another seperate room to test out P.A. systems. Ric
Thanks Ric. I am over-do for a trip to the Carvin store. The last time I was there, I came dangerously close to walking out with an NS-1 (electrified nylon-string guitar)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Guitar Centers often have several brands of acoustic-guitar amps setup in the acoustic-guitar rooms area of the store…..In the Pro Sound/PA room, usually you'll see the three Bose systems setup. …….
It is this way at the La Mesa (California) GC location. The acoustic guitar room had (last time I checked) a couple of the smaller acoustic combo amps, but nothing more substantial. The ProSound Area, on the other hand, had all (3) Bose systems set-up in a row, but no other points of comparison.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification