The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-09-2015, 09:43 AM

Default Best Pickup for a Beater?

I was recently given a pretty cool little beater acoustic. It's labeled a "Guitarras Epsanolas Valencia Espana Tatay". It's laminate top and back, but it actually sounds pretty good. It's obviously a "made in" a Far Eastern country, though I know not which one. But it sounds and plays pretty good!

I was thinking of just going K&K in this one, but figured I'd see what you guys thought. Would a magnetic sound hole pickup be a better fit? Maybe a Baggs M1? Or just go with the K&K and be done with it?

Thoughts?

Last edited by Treenewt; 04-09-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:58 PM

Treenewt, I'm a magnetic sound hole pickup junkie, so take my thoughts with an appropriate quantity of NaCl.

My first thought is, does the guitar have steel strings? From the little I've found on line about the brand, it appeared to me that the makers chiefly produced classical-style instruments. If that's what you have, a magnetic pickup won't work. I'd go with the K&K, expecting to have to use an external preamp with it.

If it does have steel strings, I'd go with a magnetic pickup, for two reasons: Versatility and cost. Magnetic pickups can work well into much lower load impedances than any piezos without using a preamp. If I found myself in a situation where I had to plug into a guitar amp with, say, a 220k input impedance, the K&K would require a preamp to sound good, but the magnetic pickup would be fine. For a beater, I'd want to minimize both cost and complexity, so the mag would win.

The pickups I use in my own guitars are no longer made, so I can't recommend them. Based on the numerous examples I've heard on line and the glowing reviews I've read, I think a Baggs M1 passive would serve very well. However, in the interest of minimizing cost/risk, I'd look at less expensive options:

- The Lace California Acoustic is the only sound hole pickup currently on the market which I've personally tried. I liked it very much. String to string balance was good with bronze wound strings, despite the lack of adjustable pole pieces.

- The DiMarzio DP136 and DP138 have received glowing reviews from players whose tastes I respect. They also have adjustable pole pieces, which can be very helpful with string balance issues.

Unless I were in a hurry, though, I'd try as many sound hole pickups as I could find within a reasonable driving distance before making a final decision.

I hope you find this helpful.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:20 PM

John, that was VERY helpful! Thank you very much! And btw, mine is a steel string, so the mags would work! Thanks for the input!
Old 04-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I think I would put the JJB 330 pickup in a beater. That's not to say that it's any worse than the K&K, but it's ~1/2 the price!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 PM

That's exactly what I put in my beater. With a PADI for EQ it sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
I think I would put the JJB 330 pickup in a beater. That's not to say that it's any worse than the K&K, but it's ~1/2 the price!
Old 04-10-2015, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

I love Fishman products. Have the Rare Earth humbucker in a nice parlor and the Neo-D humbucker in a nice jumbo. Magnetic pickups are generally a preference. But for my beater travel guitar - a small Wechter - I also went the JJB route (220 model) with the logic of a cheap pickup for a cheap instrument. The Wechter is at best mediocre unplugged but actually sounds pretty decent plugged in; gotten all sorts of positive feedback at open mics. Best with a preamp BTW.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 AM

Ok, you guys have piqued my interest toward the JJB. I wasn't sure I wanted to throw the coin at a K&K for this guitar, but the cost difference makes the JJB an option.

Random, you went with the 220, the 2 piezo model, and are happy it seems. I certainly like the price! Do you feel like you get a good range across all strings with it?

Midwinter, hows your experience been with the 330?

In either case, I'd run it through an Ultrasound DI that I use with my K&K.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Treenewt, IMO the balance is there across the strings, but matters of taste... If the day works out I'll post a sound sample this evening on my SC site. You can judge with your ears.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Treenewt, did you find any date stamped inside?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
Ditto ............
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Default JJB P-220 Sampler

As promised, here's an off the cuff sampler offering pieces of 3 songs featuring the JJB Premier-220 amplifying my beater Wechter travel guitar. This is a one-off recording - pardon the Hi-Q MP3 app on my cell phone which is not as Hi-Q as I'd like - that hopefully provides useful info. Includes a preamp and a sound system in the chain. All settings flat. Featuring the instrumental aspects but don't really do alota straight-up guitar only so apologies for the vocals.

https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/jjb-220-sampler

Ain't Nobody's Business:

Last edited by Random1643; 04-10-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
As promised, here's an off the cuff sampler offering pieces of 3 songs featuring the JJB Premier-220 amplifying my beater Wechter travel guitar.
It sounds very good to me.

I can't be objective, though, because I like the way(s) you play and sing, and count it a privilege to hear any of your music.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:54 PM

Random, thanks for that! Great playing and singing! And that little Wechter sounds fine!! I think I'll take the $40 plunge and see how the 220 works for my little beater too! Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:07 PM

I think I would look inside the guitar and examine the construction beneath the bridge. If there is enough room to mount three pickup nodes, I would use the 330. If it is too crowded, I would back off and use the 220. There is not enough price difference to let cost be a decision factor. I have mounted the 330 in two guitars and owners are happy. I personally have a preference for the K&K mini which uses smaller diameter nodes, but it does cost double and here we are specifically talking about a cheap guitar.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Thanks John and Treenewt! Glad you liked the sampler. If I were playing live I'd add a bit o' bass via the preamp.

David C I can't argue with your logic. For $10 more if the 330 will fit, why not go for it?

Ain't Nobody's Business:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification