The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM

Default Classical Guitar/Small Hands

I am looking for a classical guitar that will be comfortable to play for a small person who has small hands...me. I purchased a takemine C132s at a local shop a few years back but found it to be difficult to play. I never was able to play my hand into shape, so I sold the guitar. I have visited all of the local guitar shops to test drive their offerings, but have yet to find a classical guitar to suit. Here's the baseline: I am unable to bend my thumb over the neck to play the sixth string on my guitars which all have a 1 3/4" nut and a modified oval or V shape neck. I would like to keep the price under $1,000 new or used. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:30 AM

Alhambra makes short scale, slightly narrower than standard fret board guitars. I have sort of small hands and own a S C1. The S is for "senorita". Comfortable to play vs a standard classical (nfi). A Crossover could also work as most have a narrower neck. Kenny Hill also makes short scale, narrower neck guitars too. Hope this helps-good luck.....

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 09-04-2017, 09:35 AM
Guest 2143

I see someone just responded with much of the same information that I planned to provide, but here is a little more. People of all shapes and sizes play regular-sized classical guitars, but based on what you said you might want to try some crossover guitars. These are generally designed with slimmer profile necks, more narrow nut widths, and radiused fingerboards, all of which might work well for you. Some might also have shorter scales, which could help too. Cordoba and Cervantes are two brands (there are many others) that make these crossover guitars. Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:42 AM

A nut of 1.75" should fit just right for wrapping the thumb right. As far as neck shape, I guess that a c shape or shallow c is the dominant shape in the market. A 7/8 or smaller sized classical guitar is a good option. Cordoba may still offer the Cadete, for instance, good presence/volume for a smaller size, though, it has a 1.88" nut width.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
A nut of 1.75" should fit just right for wrapping the thumb right. As far as neck shape, I guess that a c shape or shallow c is the dominant shape in the market. A 7/8 or smaller sized classical guitar is a good option. Cordoba may still offer the Cadete, for instance, good presence/volume for a smaller size, though, it has a 1.88" nut width.

I believe current Córdoba 7/8 model is called the Dolce. The cheap ones retail for under $300 US.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am looking for a classical guitar that will be comfortable to play for a small person who has small hands...me.....I am unable to bend my thumb over the neck to play the sixth string on my guitars which all have a 1 3/4" nut and a modified oval or V shape neck. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Having small hands shouldn't be an issue on any guitars, even the ones with 2" nut widths and wide fretboards.
But, you might need to modify your technique. If I had smaller than average hands, thumb wrapping would be the last thing I would want to do with my fretting hand. It constricts space, limits freedom of movement, and creates tension.
If you're getting a classical guitar, then why not try positioning the hand accordingly in classical like fashion? i.e. bringing the thumb down towards the middle of the neck, and freeing up all that good space underneath so your fingers can move and gain access.
Note: This is not a knock on thumb wrapping as a technique, because it works, but by your own admission, it doesn't for you, even for narrow width guitars.
So why not try something different: a technique that might make it possible for you to play all guitars, regardless of size?
I'm just offering this as a suggestion to improve. If you like to thumb wrap, and don't want to give that up, then by all means keep at it. It just seems counter-productive from my viewpoint based on your situation.
It's only my opinion, and not gospel!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-04-2017, 11:22 AM

No, thumb wrapping is not the relevant issue for me. I used that example for frame of reference. In fact, I modify chord shapes to suit when a thumb wrapping technique is called for; however, the Takemine I referenced had a 2.04" nut, and no matter the technique, the pain in my hand got the best of me and wore me out.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:39 AM

The Córdoba Parlor models have a 1.96 inch nut width and the Córdoba necks are pretty thin. They also have a 24.8 inch scale length. You can get these with spruce or cedar and mahogany or spruce or cedar with rosewood. Models are C9 and C10 parlor
Old 09-04-2017, 12:29 PM
Musical minimalist

I have very small hands (wear a men's small golf glove for reference) and have no issues with 52mm nuts.....as someone else said, you may need to modify your technique a bit, and move to a 48mm or 50mm nut. Obviously neck profile is another part of the equation.

Realize though, that narrowing nut widths on classicals poses another problem - the gauge of the strings are much wider and it leaves less room between strings. I can't play a 48mm or 1 7/8 nylon crossover for this reason.

You may also want to consider having the guitar setup for lower action - 52mm nuts with higher action (like some serious classical guys like) is a bit too much for me - I like it about 3mm (slightly above) and 2.5mm on bass and treble respectively.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Having small hands shouldn't be an issue on any guitars, even the ones with 2" nut widths and wide fretboards.
But, you might need to modify your technique. If I had smaller than average hands, thumb wrapping would be the last thing I would want to do with my fretting hand. It constricts space, limits freedom of movement, and creates tension.
If you're getting a classical guitar, then why not try positioning the hand accordingly in classical like fashion? i.e. bringing the thumb down towards the middle of the neck, and freeing up all that good space underneath so your fingers can move and gain access.
Note: This is not a knock on thumb wrapping as a technique, because it works, but by your own admission, it doesn't for you, even for narrow width guitars.
So why not try something different: a technique that might make it possible for you to play all guitars, regardless of size?
I'm just offering this as a suggestion to improve. If you like to thumb wrap, and don't want to give that up, then by all means keep at it. It just seems counter-productive from my viewpoint based on your situation.
It's only my opinion, and not gospel!
Andre,

I just checked out your youtube page, and I must compliment you on your playing! To others in this thread, I suggest listening to this guy. Watch and listen to him play on his youtube channel and be glad that he is willing to part with some wisdom.

In regards to the OP in this thread, there are some makers of classical guitars who build guitars that are just a few millimeters smaller in most, if not all dimensions. What continues to surprise me is how much difference a few millimeters can make. There was a cigarette ad in the 60s that claimed "just a silly millimeter longer". Well, just a silly millimeter shorter or narrower seems to make a big difference in feel for guitars too.

I have a Brunton classical guitar that is very comfortable to play because it is just a bit smaller in all dimensions: www.bruntonclassicalguitars.com.

Considering your budget as I understand it, a Brunton may not be a good choice for you, but at least know that there are folks around building a bit smaller, and more comfortable to play classical guitars without having to go the crossover route. There are certainly fine crossover guitars too. I have a very Limited Edition Taylor crossover, for example.

In short, there are many choices these days. It is a good time to be looking.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 09-04-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What continues to surprise me is how much difference a few millimeters can make.
I agree. Something else that the OP might consider. Guitars with 630mm (or less) scale length. Someone above mentioned Kenny Hill. He is a big fan and maker of shorter scale models.
(And Tony, many thanks for your listen, and for the very kind words! )

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-05-2017, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

I was just looking at Kenny Hill's smaller models for the same reason, older hands. I can get around on up to a 52mm flat fretboard, but on a long standard scale I don't have much reach. He offers scales down to 615mm.

I have an older beater Cordoba Cadete which is about a 24" scale (a 3/4 size) and it sounds pretty darn good for what it is with fluorocarbon strings, and is the one I keep out. It has a solid cedar top and laminate mahogany back and sides. I got it hand delivered off eBay because the seller was heading my way and only had to go a few miles off the freeway and back and pocketed the shipping and didn't have to box it or stand in line at the Post Office. I got it for a little over a third retail. It might hold you over until you find something else, and if you can get one used even better.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:36 AM

I have a Córdoba 3/4 size "Cadet" model, a student guitar but quite easy to play.
I don't have small hands but I'm getting old and rather stiff...

However, currently I play one of the "mini" Córdoba models. This is the "SM-CE" model with 20" scale, cutaway, pickup, etc.:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cordoba/...C-adType%5EPLA

This comes with the "A" string set, (tuned A to A) But you can buy the "E" tuning set from various sources that lets you tune to standard.

It's quite a nice little instrument. I did a little YouTube review here:

https://youtu.be/keMwyYph0J8
Old 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

The Minis are super! I have a Mini R, they have a wide nut but he neck is shallow, so they are easy to get around, especially with the short scale. Sound pretty darn good for such a little squirt. I think it's a baritone uke body.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:19 AM

Apologies for resurrecting a near 3 year old thread but I'm looking for my first nylon strung (probably) classical guitar. As with the OP I also have small hands although I do manage to play things that can be regarded as fairly musical on an acoustic guitar with a 43mm width neck and 650mm scalelength. I did manage to try out a couple of classical guitars prior to lockdown but they had 50-52mm nut and I just couldn't play any grande barre chords on it.

Any suggestions for a newb coming to classical from acoustic? Maybe a slightly narrower neck......and a slightly shorter scalelength might help too. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical