The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2017, 10:35 PM

Default NGD - Emerald X7

Finally, my new X7 in my hands. Do I get extra credit for impatiently waiting in silence or does that disqualify me? In any case, the passionate X7 owners on the forum have made another convert. And this particular X7 was irresistible to me because the Emerald logo art looks like my dog.

My X7 Select Series 3/17 Emerald Logo Art

My Lucy Whippet Running Down Frisbee

I’ve exchanged a few emails with Sean inquiring about the mysterious creature inspiring the Emerald logo — it’s not a whippet, a dog originally from England! But, when I look at my X7 I happily see Lucy Whippet.

Playability: this to me is the number one X7 virtue with owners. I’ve played it less than a day, but I’m surprised. The side of the guitar that rests on your legs is not a 90 degree angle, so the top side leans into your chest automatically forming a triangle. It’s ingenious. The guitar hugs you without being asked! The neck feels perfect. I like the short scale even though I have big hands. I’m going to be playing more because it’s always out there, easy to grab and easy to play. I’ll say more after some time with my delightful X7.

Guitar color: it looks much more subdued in normal light, almost black with green overtones. I’m happy with that. In sunshine or bright light it’s brilliant!

Jim

Old 03-28-2017, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Another Emerald masterpiece....and I totally see Lucy on there!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2017, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! And, welcome aboard! It's always fun to see who the new Select Series owners are, when they pop up on this forum.

Your new X7 is a beauty! And unique. As regards the comfort and playability, that was the thing that hooked me on the X7. Well, OK, since I had never seen one in person, I was drawn in by the design - when I got my hands on mine, it was the comfort, playability, and great sound. And, I am still thrilled with the looks.

Yours, with the striking color, unique raised logo, and silver inlay in the fretboard is very special - hope you enjoy it as much as I have been enjoying mine. (And, its bigger sibling) And, so cool that your Lucy is a twin with the logo!

Give us some updates as you spend more time with it! Enjoy!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

That's Cool....congrats!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the group. I really like mine too. The reduction of stress regarding humidification during the winter months is worth it alone. You'll like this instrument.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Your new X7 is real puuuurdy! Congrats!
Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 AM

Beautiful dog and guitar!
Old 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM

Wow I am green with envy. I play a lot of Irish music and someday I have to have one of these beauties made in Northern Ireland in the County Donegal! As far as the logo goes, there are many mythical creatures in Irish folklore and now we have a new one to revere: the "Celtic Knot Lucy of County Whippet"!

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 03-30-2017, 12:26 AM

Changed strings from Emerald installed D'Addario 12 - 56 to Martin Retro 12 - 54. I play fingerstyle. The Retros have a little less tension, sound blusier. B string noticeably more plaintive. I like them.

Jim
Old 03-30-2017, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, a beautiful Emerald, the logo art is a stunning touch.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:37 AM

Dear Jim,

We are so delighted to hear that you are enjoying your new X7 Select Series 3/17. The fact that you saw a resemblance in our logo to your Lucy, was such a nice connection to make and an added bones. We wish you continued enjoyment with your new guitar.

The Hound, or Rufus as Alistair sometimes calls it, is a modern interpretation of a very ancient artistic Irish Celtic theme.

The logo was designed by Mark Willett, an Australian designer living in Derry, just across the border in Northern Ireland, in 2000. Having looked at different themes across Celtic mythology, Alistair and Mark decided on something uniquely Irish Celtic - The Hound - inspired by designs featured in the Book of Kells (Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Kells).

If you delve further into ‘The Hound’ in Irish mythology, you may find a lot of similarities to the hit HBO programme, Game Of Thrones, which is filmed not too far from us!

Best Wishes from Emerald HQ,

Sean
Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Jim! I understand your excitement... that's a beauty! Hope you really enjoy the guitar.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 AM

Sean,

Thanks for the story! And, the beautiful guitar. I'm really enjoying it.

Jim
Old 03-30-2017, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

How would you describe the tone/volume/projection of this instrument compared to that of a decent ga or dreadnought?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
How would you describe the tone/volume/projection of this instrument compared to that of a decent ga or dreadnought?
Hi Studioman,

Others can probably make that comparison better than I can. It's a small guitar, but the player can hear well because of the the sound hole position. Mine also has electronics. I have retro/monel strings on my X7 and Waterloo WL-K, so the tone is similar but different.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber