The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Default Are we ging to need a "linen" subforum for Blackbird El Capitan guitars?

They aren't made of carbon fiber, so, ya know, I'm just wondering...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Haha, I don't think so. Although Carbon Fiber is being considered the catch-all term, if it were to be changed, "Composite Guitars" would be most appropriate to encompass any non-wood construction, including linen.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Nah, I don't think we need to sub-divide our linen brothers and sisters from this fine sub-forum. We get the occasional troll who thinks it will get to us by calling carbon fiber guitars "plastic"... so, will they come here and ask about those guitars made from old shirts??

I'm thinking the new Savoy will bring more interest this way. Good for all forward-thinking guitar players.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Guest 928

I think Acousticado has the right idea; composite may be the better word. CF and linen would both fit under such designation. Plywood guitars could also be discussed under the heading of Composite.

However, as everyone seems to be now-a-days saying; it is what it is. And the Captain is probably right, there's room for both cf and linen in this tent. I can see some future blending of composites. For example, a cf body with a linen face.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:15 PM

Agreed. Composite Guitars cover all the usual non-wood variants, and Carbon Fiber is the granddaddy of composites used for guitars.

I have often said that there are man-made composites (carbon fiber, glass fiber, linen or other fibers embedded in a polyester resin) whereas wood is nature's composite (cellulose fibers in natural pitch-based resins). So technically even wood guitars are "composites".
Old 03-28-2017, 06:40 PM
Guest 928

Oh sure, Earl. Now we have a forum that includes every guitar ever made. Just when I was getting comfortable with a small community of refined taste. Darn you! I hate when someone comes up with an uncomfortable fact. I may not sleep tonight.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Or just "Non-Wooden Guitars" as 3D printed polymer guitars are already here, Styrofoam and other materials are just down the road - and who knows what else may be just around the corner. Not a very sexy term, but truly all-inclusive, even of materials that may not justifiably be defined as composite.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
.....Darn you! I hate when someone comes up with an uncomfortable fact. I may not sleep tonight....
Sorry about that Evan. Console yourself with some guitar playing and then a Benadryl. Works for me.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Or just "Non-Wooden Guitars" as 3D printed polymer guitars are already here, Styrofoam and other materials are just down the road - and who knows what else may be just around the corner. Not a very sexy term, but truly all-inclusive, even of materials that may not justifiably be defined as composite.
You guys and your new age, fancy schmancy materials. (Yes, I recall that post from a while back about a styrofoam upright bass.) I'm staying with my carbon fiber... oh, I spent about 49 years or so with wood guitars, so I'm thinking I'll try for about the same run with carbon fiber. 'Bout that time, I may be ready for another change.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Nah, I don't think we need to sub-divide our linen brothers and sisters from this fine sub-forum. We get the occasional troll who thinks it will get to us by calling carbon fiber guitars "plastic"... so, will they come here and ask about those guitars made from old shirts??

I'm thinking the new Savoy will bring more interest this way. Good for all forward-thinking guitar players.
Wow, CJ, you might be on to something here. Blackbird does use a linen-type fabric for these -- imagine an acoustic guitar made of old CSNY or John Denver or Neil Young or Beatles or Glen Campbell or (insert your favorite acoustic artist name here) tour t-shirts.... holy moly....

Joe at Blackbird -- you listening???

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-31-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Wow, CJ, you might be on to something here. Blackbird does use a linen-type fabric for these -- imagine an acoustic guitar made of old CSNY or John Denver or Neil Young or Beatles or Glen Campbell or (insert your favorite acoustic artist name here) tour t-shirts.... holy moly....

Joe at Blackbird -- you listening???
Love the idea, Sean, and while these might actually sell, what you would be listening to is the resin, not the t-shirt fibers. It would be the same using other decorative materials as well. Like carbon fiber, Joe's Ekoa is an excellent tone material for guitars, although with very different tonal properties.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Love the idea, Sean, and while these might actually sell, what you would be listening to is the resin, not the t-shirt fibers. It would be the same using other decorative materials as well. Like carbon fiber, Joe's Ekoa is an excellent tone material for guitars, although with very different tonal properties.
The tongue was definitely in cheek, Ted, but I'd still love to see one. Nothing a little photoshop time couldn't create, I suppose!

And man, time lately seems to just draaaaag on.... hmmm....

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 03-31-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
..And man, time lately seems to just draaaaag on.... hmmm....
I hear you, brother.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

The linen is impregnated with resin, the same as carbon fiber. Here's an informative link:
http://lingrove.com/products/
Quote:
Our premiere product Ekoaź, is made of flax linen fabric + bioepoxy and offers distinct performance advantages: exceptional strength, vibration damping and is lighter than carbon fiber. While many applications work with 100% Ekoa, it also lays up well with other reinforcements like carbon fiber.
So no need for a separate forum, and a very cool evolution for guitar construction.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
The linen is impregnated with resin, the same as carbon fiber. Here's an informative link:
http://lingrove.com/products/

So no need for a separate forum, and a very cool evolution for guitar construction.
Glad that's settled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber