The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM

Default Played an Emerald guitar, at last

At long last, I played an Emerald guitar. They are rare birds; with no dealer network, you have to hunt for a gracious owner who will let you try his/hers. Or of course you can just buy one unheard, and become said gracious owner in your area.

The guitar that turned up on craigslist was a black X7 OS, and I gave it a brief tryout in a study room at the public library. It was pleasant to play with its shortish scale and 1.75 nut; it felt good in the hand. The sound wasn't woody, but was pleasing on its own; clean, with sustain. It didn't have the zizzy plastic sound I associate with Ovation guitars. It was also a comfortable body shape to hold.

But I didn't buy it. It was an older guitar without a truss rod, which is a dealbreaker for me. It also had a preamp mounted in the side, which I don't need. It had a BLIZZARD of scratches in the top where a pickguard should have been. The tuning machines were not smooth. It came with a Taylor gig bag rather than an Emerald bag. And finally, the seller wanted $950 for a guitar that lists for new at $999, sans pickup. After I told him that the guitar wasn't what I wanted, I asked him what he hoped to get for it, and he said $850 or $900. I thought that was unrealistic, but I didn't want to argue. The market's not soft, it's the sellers who are.

This copy was a dud for me, but I liked the overall Emerald design, and the X7 is quite a nice little guitar. And I prefer little guitars. Had this been an X7 Artisan with a truss rod, woody top and silky Gotohs, I might have been seduced.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Great info. That's interesting to me. Thanks, Purfle.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 PM

Just curious - how old was that X7? I respect your desire for a truss rod, although I don't feel the need for them on CF guitars. I also agree with your assessment of the price. It would take WAY more of a discount versus new pricing to entice me to buy an instrument with scratches and an older pickup system. Maybe $700 would be a reasonable working number for me, assuming it was something that was otherwise desired. CF guitars hold more value used than wood guitars, at any quality level.

Your idea of meeting at the local library is a good one. I'm planning to sell at least three Taylor guitars locally on CL soon, and that would be a good way to meet up without the risk of inviting prospective buyers over to my house.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Just curious - how old was that X7?
The seller was at least the second owner. He said it was "5 or 6 years old."

Quote:
I respect your desire for a truss rod, although I don't feel the need for them on CF guitars.
I am comforted by the thought I have some control over the relief.

Quote:
I also agree with your assessment of the price. It would take WAY more of a discount versus new pricing to entice me to buy an instrument with scratches and an older pickup system. Maybe $700 would be a reasonable working number for me, assuming it was something that was otherwise desired.
My top offer, had I wanted it, would be no more than $700, with $650 more likely.

Quote:
CF guitars hold more value used than wood guitars, at any quality level.
Now why is this? Is it just there are so few on the used market, because there are so few at all?

Quote:
Your idea of meeting at the local library is a good one. I'm planning to sell at least three Taylor guitars locally on CL soon, and that would be a good way to meet up without the risk of inviting prospective buyers over to my house.
Thanks. I read about it somewhere, possibly on AGF. Another possibility is the police station!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
Now why is this? Is it just there are so few on the used market, because there are so few at all?
Both - not many CF's are out there total in comparison to wood. And most of the people who own them really love them. I'll never part with my Rainsong WS-1000, even if [God forbid] I were to become unable to play. So they tend not to turn over very much. Most of the time when a CF comes up used, it is because the owner simply did not bond with the neck shape / width. Or sometimes the tone, but usually not.

My library branch is much closer than the police station. Either that, or a local coffee shop.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I believe there's a "like new" Emerald for sale here in the AGF classifieds.......
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 03-21-2017, 06:51 PM

Great that you have tried that old X7 with no truss rod. And I reckon the back and side are the black colored crystal ice finish one.

Now it's time for you to order the NEW X7, with truss rod and improved voicing, exposed carbon weave on side and back, and with a woody top if possible. And you can safely order it online without trying. And if you are not happy with your woody X7, I can buy over from you at $700! Haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber