The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-21-2015, 11:44 AM

Default Seagull Merlin or Dulcimer???

I'm looking at expanding the noises I can make on fretted instruments. I already play guitar and mandolin so I'm looking at either a Seagull merlin or a Dulcimer. I'm just at the beginning of my research so I thought I would put the question out here. The Merlin plays more like a guitar in shape. The dulcimer appears to have more frets too and therefore more available notes. The Merlin is priced pretty reasonable. Thanks in advance!
Mackenzie&Marr "Opeongo"-spruce/mahogany
Old 10-21-2015, 02:39 PM

What do you want to do with the instrument in the long run? Context is crucial.

If you're going to be competing for audience attention (open mic, busking, playing in bars, etc.), the Merlin might well serve you better, because you can play standing up and dancing. If you're playing dulcimer, sitting on a piece of furniture, you become the furniture.

On the other hand, if you're going to be playing in a situation where everyone participates, the traditional dulcimer may fit in more appropriately.

I don't think you're likely to go wrong with either, though.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:40 PM

Hi,

I bought the Seagull Merlin not to long ago. For the money, it is good fun. I bought it as a curiosity and something that wasn't to expensive that I could take on an upcoming trip to the woods and not worry to much. I did go on the trip and it was fun bringing along the Merlin. I leave it out and pick it up all the time to mess around on it. All-in-all, a very fun instrument that is very easy to jump right into.

That said, I did hit the Merlin's limitations fairly quickly. The shorter neck and deleted frets does limit the instrument in how much.. at least for me.. I can eek out of it. There have been times I wish I had a bit more options with the Merlin for notes. I still like it and it filled it's niche as a not-to-serious , fun-times, stringed instrument for not much money.

I think it will come down to..

Do you want an inexpensive instrument that is easy to pick up and start playing right away, but give up some versatility?
or
Do you want to spend a little more and get an instrument that might be a bit trickier to play at first, but have more versatility in the end?

Depending which of the two, above, more applies to what you are looking to get out of it, will probably answer your question for you.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-21-2015, 03:22 PM

I can't help with your question but I offer some surely unwanted advice. Start watching some pedal steel video. I think it takes you in the direction your heading but to an unhealthy extreme.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:09 PM

I really just want to add another detention to some of the Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar that I do. Recording it and adding it to the mix. Plus I like fiddling around with different instruments. I have seen some dulcimers sell for about the same as the Merlin so I might just pick up both. I may start with the Merlin though it looks like the lesser of the two learning curves. Thanks
Old 10-21-2015, 05:56 PM

Default Seagull Merlin or Dulcimer???

My friend check out Irish Bouzouki. I think you will like it.

http://youtu.be/dOj-KGw29Dk

Guitar Player
Old 10-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
My friend check out Irish Bouzouki. I think you will like it.

http://youtu.be/dOj-KGw29Dk

Guitar Player
That was gorgeous. Where can I get me one of those! Now I really have gas. Thanks for sharing that.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:40 PM

I know man me too! Been wanting one for almost a year now! Hard to come by in U.S. Most decent ones are Luthier built and around 2k. Trinity makes a decent beginner one from my readings factory made.

Guitar Player
Old 10-21-2015, 06:42 PM

This guy did Zep's rain son on it and nailed it

http://youtu.be/4dLzsZlPZZk

Guitar Player
Old 10-22-2015, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
This guy did Zep's rain son on it and nailed it

http://youtu.be/4dLzsZlPZZk

Guitar Player
That was really great. I just checked out this site. He sells on Ebay for a pretty reasonable price. And he's from Western Canada.

http://easyplaymusic.net/
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 AM

Dulcimers are real instruments......consider Folkcraft or McSpadden to get a quality instrument to begin with. Merlin is a toy. However, dulcimer acquisition disease (DAD) is as bad as GAS. The dulcimer is easy to learn, yet can be complicated and challenging if you want it to be. Lots of festivals all over the US. Beautiful sound.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 10-22-2015, 07:14 AM

I'm thinking any dulcimers you get in the same price range as the Merlin are not going to be that great (there are 'cardboard body' kits you can buy for about half the price, likely the $125 dulcimers are these assembled).

The Merlin is a neat toy, not sure how practical it is for regular use. It's good (maybe) for adding a different sound to a recording, but think it would be very limited in playing with others.

Bouzoukis, on the other hand are real instruments but at least 5X the price, just starting.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrynx View Post
If you're going to be competing for audience attention (open mic, busking, playing in bars, etc.), the Merlin might well serve you better, because you can play standing up and dancing. If you're playing dulcimer, sitting on a piece of furniture, you become the furniture.
Some of us actually do play the mountain dulcimer standing up - I've done so since my first regular weekly bar gig, where I got frustrated trying to work the crowd from a seated position. So after a couple of nights performing sitting down, I got a strap and hung the dulcimer from around my neck, playing it not like a flipped up guitar but from above, with my hands on the dulcimer fretboard like a piano keyboard. I've been standing while playing dulcimer ever since, with the added bonus that it's a lot easier to sing while standing, too.

It works just fine, and nobody's ever accused me of being part of the furniture. I'm also fairly good at it - I'm a former United States Mountain Dulcimer Champion, which I won at the Winfield festival in 1980.

The dulcimer is like other musical instruments in that you're limited only by the boundaries of your own imagination.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-23-2015, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Some of us actually do play the mountain dulcimer standing up - I've done so since my first regular weekly bar gig, where I got frustrated trying to work the crowd from a seated position. So after a couple of nights performing sitting down, I got a strap and hung the dulcimer from around my neck, playing it not like a flipped up guitar but from above, with my hands on the dulcimer fretboard like a piano keyboard. I've been standing while playing dulcimer ever since, with the added bonus that it's a lot easier to sing while standing, too.

It works just fine, and nobody's ever accused me of being part of the furniture. I'm also fairly good at it - I'm a former United States Mountain Dulcimer Champion, which I won at the Winfield festival in 1980.

The dulcimer is like other musical instruments in that you're limited only by the boundaries of your own imagination.

Wade Hampton Miller
Agree with you Wade. Standing up playing the mountain dulcimer is no problem. The dulcimer is a highly respected instrument. Congrats on your win ...that's impressive. My one dulcimer is made by a friend, Doug Berch, who was the only one to win both MD and HD at Winfield in the same year. Do you know him?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 10-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
Agree with you Wade. Standing up playing the mountain dulcimer is no problem. The dulcimer is a highly respected instrument. Congrats on your win ...that's impressive. My one dulcimer is made by a friend, Doug Berch, who was the only one to win both MD and HD at Winfield in the same year. Do you know him?
I've heard his name but haven't met him so far as I can recall. My last visit to Winfield was in 1982, right before I came up to Alaska on a music tour and ended up staying.

But Doug is a well-respected player, I can tell you that.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments