The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Metal tricones and heel strap buttons..

Has anyone ever put a strap button in the heel of a round neck metal body? I'm wondering if it would cause the wood to split because of the weight. Might be why it doesn't have a factory installed one.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-14-2015, 12:36 AM

I have a single cone, but it's still bloody heavy. Mine doesn't have a button on the heel, I just use a strap around the headstock, but I'm pretty sure I've seen ones that do.
Here you go - not a tricone, admittedly.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-14-2015, 06:40 AM

If you have to stand up while playing you don't have much choice. If you need video evidence check out Catfish Keith on youtube. He favors a steel baritone and does just fine with the neck heel attachment.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I don't have to stand up, the thing is heavy and I'm just looking for a little help from a strap. I'm wondering if the location has to be more of an angle than an acoustic guitar. I emailed the mfg and they did say the heel was the best location for it, but gave no other guidance.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-14-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I don't have to stand up, the thing is heavy and I'm just looking for a little help from a strap. I'm wondering if the location has to be more of an angle than an acoustic guitar. I emailed the mfg and they did say the heel was the best location for it, but gave no other guidance.
To be honest, if I still was going to have it resting on my leg and didn't have to support the whole weight of the instrument on the strap, I'd just do the old "shoelace at the headstock" thing. They are heavy, but I've honestly played heavier Les Paul. I mean that. I've weighed them. The old Folkie tying off at the headstock won't be a problem if you aren't standing. Planet waves has a slick quick release system so you can just quickly unsnap and toss the strap in the case without untying anything.
Old 10-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
To be honest, if I still was going to have it resting on my leg and didn't have to support the whole weight of the instrument on the strap, I'd just do the old "shoelace at the headstock" thing. They are heavy, but I've honestly played heavier Les Paul. I mean that. I've weighed them. The old Folkie tying off at the headstock won't be a problem if you aren't standing. Planet waves has a slick quick release system so you can just quickly unsnap and toss the strap in the case without untying anything.
Thanks. I have one of those things somewhere, but the strap always got in my way when I used it in the past as it is too close to the 1st fret. Maybe I can get used to it, I'll give it a try. My luck would be that after putting in a strap button it would shear off a piece of the heel due to the weight.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-14-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I have one of those things somewhere, but the strap always got in my way when I used it in the past as it is too close to the 1st fret. Maybe I can get used to it, I'll give it a try. My luck would be that after putting in a strap button it would shear off a piece of the heel due to the weight.
I a strap button with a lock on a brass singlecone and have had no issues. It's in the standard position on the lower half.

As long as you drill a proper sized pilot hole, it should be fine. That's usually where problems start with strap buttons on the heel. A too small pilot hole, or none at all. a crack starts, and boom. Disaster.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
I had that problem, I found the strap too close to the first fret. I solved it by tying it up past the first tuners rather than behind the nut.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM

The guys over at Gryphon Stringed Instruments put a strap button on the heel of my National tricone (brass body) without saying it could be any problem. Don't wear the guitar around my neck every time I play it, but 3 years into it there are no issues with the heel.

Curtis
Old 10-19-2015, 05:53 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
I had that problem, I found the strap too close to the first fret. I solved it by tying it up past the first tuners rather than behind the nut.
Good idea. I'm going to try that.

The thing with the pilot hole is you have to know how big and deep to make it, which only comes from experience which generally only comes from making mistakes

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-21-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Good idea. I'm going to try that.

The thing with the pilot hole is you have to know how big and deep to make it, which only comes from experience which generally only comes from making mistakes
Or asking

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments