The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-23-2015, 02:01 PM

Default For Those of You Playing Bottleneck....

Simple question; can a nice blues effect be achieved with a spider cone reso guitar for both bottleneck slide and finger picked blues?

Thank you in advance for those who relate their experience😀
Old 09-23-2015, 10:13 PM

Oh yeah.

Biscuit single cones are not at all my personal favorite tone. I like more sustain, and richer harmonics that work together and don't clash. Tricones are one road to that. Spiders are the other.

Here's Colin Linden

Last edited by blue; 09-23-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:26 AM
ralphj

Simple answer: YES!! Check out Mr. Clapton:

Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 AM

I'm guessing Eric is playing the Unicorn of the reso world. A Fine Resophonic out of France. I'd love to meet one someday.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiopicker View Post
Simple question; can a nice blues effect be achieved with a spider cone reso guitar for both bottleneck slide and finger picked blues?

Thank you in advance for those who relate their experience😀
I have a National Model D which is a wood bodied spider cone resonator. I believe it's their version of a Dobro. I think it sounds great for blues slide and finger picking. Blues purists going after that very specific Delta blues sound are better off sticking with that raw tone you get from a metal bodied biscuit guitar but I prefer the smooth clean spider tone.

[IMG][/IMG]
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Hi, to traditionalists (like me) blues is played on a biscuit cone or tricone National, and country is played on a spider cone Dobro.

However, in truth bottleneck blues can be played on almost anything (well, apart from a grand piano, trumpet, etc.)

The differences in tone and sustain is the thing that decides most.

The Spider cone does tend to have a less harsh sound and more sustain than a biscuit cone which is more incisive and louder (esp. in a steel body).

I have both, - a Dobro squareneck which as it was assembled by Gibson had radical intonation errors and so had to be re-routed out and was fitted with a decent cone and spider (Beard).

For some years I also had a very fine 2005 National Style "O" deluxe which I've just traded for an Estrellita because the Style"O" was too heavy and too loud (man!)

The choice, really, is yours, but should you choose a Dobro - make sure that it is either made before the Gibson era, or has a correct(ed) intonation.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I've played an Estrellita and they are great. My Model D is basically an Estrellita with a spider instead of a biscuit. In a perfect world I'd own four resonators. A Triolian, a round neck with a biscuit bridge and brass body, a square neck Dobro style and my Model D spider. Picking just one was very difficult.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments