The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-30-2010, 04:55 PM

Default What key is this in?

I have a song, F#m-D-A-E in 4/4. I know the first chord generally sets the key, but I'm kinda confused on this progression.

And while I'm at it, what scales would go with this? I know you can always be safe playing the major scale of the key the progression is in, but what are some other scales I can use?

And as I understand it, modes of a scale incorporate all the same notes of the particular scale, but just start on a different note(but keep the same step pattern after that note?)?

Thanks
Old 01-30-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray View Post
I have a song, F#m-D-A-E in 4/4. I know the first chord generally sets the key, but I'm kinda confused on this progression.

And while I'm at it, what scales would go with this? I know you can always be safe playing the major scale of the key the progression is in, but what are some other scales I can use?

And as I understand it, modes of a scale incorporate all the same notes of the particular scale, but just start on a different note(but keep the same step pattern after that note?)?

Thanks
The key would be "A"
Old 01-30-2010, 05:51 PM

What he said
Old 01-30-2010, 06:11 PM

Ok thanks that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if it would be called F#m, as it's the relative minor for A major. But can you have a minor key song, or should it always be refered to by its major key reference?
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgray View Post
Ok thanks that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if it would be called F#m, as it's the relative minor for A major. But can you have a minor key song, or should it always be refered to by its major key reference?
it is either A-Major or F#-Minor. The melody will dictate which. I'm guessing it's probably A-Major because of the lack of any cadence to the F#- chord (which would usually be C#7 from the harmonic minor but in a true minor it would be C#-7)

in either case the best scale would be the diatonic A-major or F#-minor: A B C# D E F# G#

If you wanted to get more textured - try a bebop major scale: A B C# D D# E F# G# (adding the #4 between the 4 and 5)

if you wanted to get more gritty try a bebop dominant scale: A B C# D E F# G G# (adding the b7 between the 6 and 7).

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 PM

Awesome, thanks for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
it is either A-Major or F#-Minor. The melody will dictate which. I'm guessing it's probably A-Major because of the lack of any cadence to the F#- chord (which would usually be C#7 from the harmonic minor but in a true minor it would be C#-7)

in either case the best scale would be the diatonic A-major or F#-minor: A B C# D E F# G#

If you wanted to get more textured - try a bebop major scale: A B C# D D# E F# G# (adding the #4 between the 4 and 5)

if you wanted to get more gritty try a bebop dominant scale: A B C# D E F# G G# (adding the b7 between the 6 and 7).
Old 01-31-2010, 07:40 AM

Anytime.

BTW, I use the - (minus) to indicate minor chords. Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's a jazz/Berklee thing. So in my above example the F#- was an F#m and the C#-7 was a C#m7. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows that.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-31-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Anytime.

BTW, I use the - (minus) to indicate minor chords. Sorry if that wasn't clear. It's a jazz/Berklee thing. So in my above example the F#- was an F#m and the C#-7 was a C#m7. Sometimes I forget that not everyone knows that.
Yeah, I always thought the minus was for "flat", as in C7-5 for C7b5. When I used to play in pit bands for musicals, I saw all KINDS of unique notation in the scores. I swear they made some of that stuff up just to piss you off.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losov View Post
Yeah, I always thought the minus was for "flat", as in C7-5 for C7b5. When I used to play in pit bands for musicals, I saw all KINDS of unique notation in the scores. I swear they made some of that stuff up just to piss you off.
Well, that's the thing that makes it confusing, is that it is used to indicate flatted or lowered intervals. That is not as accepted as the minus for minor notation, which is pretty much standard in the jazz theory realm (as opposed to the traditional theory realm where you use an 'm' or 'mi').

The one that still throws me is the Delta/Triangle for Maj. as in C∆7 for CMaj7. In college that was forbidden notation. And the small 'm' for minor and capital 'M" for major was also forbidden (for reasons obvious when you go to grade tests as quickly written 'M's or 'm's can be indistinguishable), hence the minus for minor, M or Maj for major. And the only time we used the '+' (plus) was to indicate augmented.

The worst I came up against was a music director who insisted on using arrows to point back to parts he wanted to repeat to (instead of a repeat sign or a da signo). It killed me to try to follow those charts and it was always a 'okay here's the chart, let's go over in/out and key changes' - and then it was bam! we're live.

though, I credit him for making me a great sight reader. I thought I was good before I started working with him, afterwards I knew I could follow anything.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 01-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Hey, Duple, do they still do that thing in jazz where when the leader wants to modulate, he holds up one finger for G, two down would be Bb, a fist for C, etc?

When I first encountered that as a pick-up bassist, it took me a whole set to figure it all out.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:00 PM

I would agree...Key of A because

1. no resolution to F#m and

2. F#m is relative minor to key of A, and the 2nd to last chord is an E, which would be the V chord of the key of A--giving a big sweeping resolution to an A.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write