The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
I usually say that I suck but that I'm having fun. And I used to suck even more.

You are my HERO!!! I shall steal that and call it as my own!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 01-27-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
I usually say that I suck but that I'm having fun. And I used to suck even more.
Hey can I borrow that line? It seems to fit me quite well even after hacking chords for 40 years I still suck.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:31 PM

Been a beginner guitar player for 48 years but I have been known to sing and play the pants off of middle aged drunk women. LOL I think they give in so I'll shut up and quit playing.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 01-27-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 PM

Can the scale go negative?

My one and only acoustic: Fender CD140SCE
Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
OK I can't let this one go. Based on the video that I saw, you're not in virtuoso territory but your playing is very clean and most definitely "pro level".
Thanks for the very flattering words, but I actually play that song much better now than in the vid (or at least I'd like to think so) and, to my ears, it's still *not* close to the level of the artist I learned it from! So maybe we have different perceptions of what "pro level" should be? Or, as others have mentioned, maybe it's a moving target
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 01-27-2010, 10:02 PM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

I play fingerstyle guitar about as good as I play golf. Should take some lessons, occasionally have good days, on the rare occassion I have been known to "birdey" a tune - and always looking for a new club that'll get me to the next level of play ... !
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar
Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 PM

We all have different perspectives of what is "good" or how we play. And I find most players are their own worst emenies when it comes to rating their performance.

I would like to think I am an intermediate player. Some around these parts think I'm a good player. Steve Kaufman told me he didn't consider himself an intermediate player till he knew 700 tunes. By that standard I will never be intermediate. So I guess I'll be a beginner all my life.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:19 PM

I'm a one-trick-pony. Heavily influenced by Leo Kottke in the 70's (& since) I love fast fingerpicking but that's about all I do. I can't hold a candle to the masters. Especially the formally trained ones, I'm 98% self-taught. I learned a lot the first five years & played every day but the process slowed way down for the next 30 years. But, lately I'm focusing less on trick licks & more on trying to express the music I hear in my head, however simple it may be sometimes. Otherwise my guitar's just a novelty.
Yamaha GL1
Ibanez RG321 MH
Olympia OP-2 12 fret parlor
Danelectro 12 string
Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 PM

beginner...for the last five years

I can play some fairly tough chords and chord progressions, I can do some basic finger picking, and I am just starting to learn flat-picking.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM

I usually think of myself as being pretty adequate. But last week I saw John Jorgenson perform, and now when I play I feel like a walrus trying to touch type
Old 01-27-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eno55 View Post
In the world of Guitar slingers how do you catagoritize and why? ....
So when someone asked what level player are you what would you say?
I think the whole idea of thinking about guitar playing in terms of "levels" is a bit screwed up. It suggests that there is a set number of moves that all players have to master before moving onto the next, superior, stage, which I think is nonsense. What 'level' was Syd Barrett? Many people, Jimmy Page included, say that he was a truly inspired and original guitarist, yet if you were to compare his chops with those of someone like Larry Coryell, poor old Syd would seem like a beginner!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 PM

Big 'ol newbie. Level 0 I've been learning chords and fingerstyle patterns for the last 4 months and I can play 1 song .... badly.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Heh. I can travis pick without screwing up and I can butcher some basic chords. But it's fun as heck and I think I'll keep doing it. (It may never leave my bedroom, but I can live with that.)

I think the perspective of the question is just wrong? Music is about people, for me. The best music I've heard was 3 mediocre chords wrapped around some off-key singing, around a campfire in the NM mountains.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 AM

Being totally honest here. .... I truly believe that I am nowhere near where I should be after playing for 20 years. I'm totally self-taught which can have some drawbacks and is not conducive to achieving real proficiency.

Having said that, I'm not worried about it. I now play well enough to keep myself entertained and occasionally a few others. My wife told me recently that I'm 10 times better than she ever thought I'd be when I started.
She always thought I did not possess any natural musical talent and she could be right. But, limited though I may be, I play well enough to have a regular jam session with a real good life-long player and business associate, and I have learned a ton of songs and written quite a few.

I can't think of a clever description of my playing level. I'm mostly cowboy-chord junkie who spends a lot of time on the first few frets cause it's real comfortable there. I do try my hand at some lead lines and fill but mostly I'm content to play a lot of chords pretty well and keep it simple so I can concentrate on singing too.

In recent years I've gotten more serious about bottleneck slide style and I find that I do have a bit of a knack for that. We'll see where that leads.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
OK I can't let this one go. Based on the video that I saw, you're not in virtuoso territory but your playing is very clean and most definitely "pro level".

Now, I might change my mind if that is the only tune that you can play...

Actually I believe that is the only tune mmmaak can play "headless" .

I would rate my level as Virtuoso Strummer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write