The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Taking the Edge Off String Squeak

Has anyone had good luck in taking the edge off of squeaky steel strings in a recording? I don't mind some squeak, but would just like to take the edge off a little.

I'm recording on a Mac with Garageband 08.

Many thanks!
Old 03-02-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
Has anyone had good luck in taking the edge off of squeaky steel strings in a recording? I don't mind some squeak, but would just like to take the edge off a little.

I'm recording on a Mac with Garageband 08.

Many thanks!
I think a lot of it is technique. Through conscious effort, I've managed to learn how to un-fret and fret my chords in a better way as to not induce as much squeak. Sometimes it's unavoidable, unless you use some finger-ease grease or go with those Elixir strings.

Sometimes I'll be listening to a recording I've liked for years and years, and notice one day how much squeak is actually in the acoustic guitar track. Then realize it never bothered me, and I never really noticed it until I became obsessed with my own guitar squeak on recordings. Sometimes it sounds much worse to the player. To other people it just sounds like acoustic guitar.

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
Hi mellow...
  • Freshly buff the fretting fingertips lightly with an emery board...
  • Elixir Poly-web strings...
  • A drop of mineral oil rubbed into the fretting finger tips...
  • Flatwound strings...
  • String lubricants in spray can...

These are things I've either seen done, and have personally done all except flatwound strings or spraying them with string lubricants. Easiest is poly-webs (regardless of what one thinks about them, they record great and are quiet).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the great advice guys.

Skiltrip - I agree 100% about needing to improve technique. Unfortunately, this is not one of my strong suits so I was hoping to find a few magic tricks to "fix it in the mix". I don't mind a little squeak to keep a bit of organic feeling. Just need to take the edge off a bit.

Larry - Great suggestions. I made this recording with a 1953 Gibson J-50 that I purchased 5 months ago. It came with Nanoweb PB's which sounded great to me so I left them on there until the intonation started to get funky. Before recording this, I put on some D'Addario EJ-16s which have worked well on my other guitars. I'd say the tone was maybe a smidge brighter with the EJ-16s but for some reason they seem to squeak like crazy on this guitar. So, I think I'll put Nano's back on it, or maybe Poly's if that doesn't work. In the mean time, I was just looking for a way to tone down the squeak a little on the bits I've already recorded.

Thanks again for the great suggestions!
Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

A certian amount of squeaking is like punctuation. I find it enjoyable. Listen to many recordings. You'll hear it from everybody.

It's what separates us from animusic.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

To take the edge off try moving your mikes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-03-2009, 01:29 PM

String squeak drives me crazy ... I see nothing attractive about it.

Elixir Polywebs work for me.

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 03-04-2009, 08:21 PM

I agree with Larry's comments.

The "String lubricant in spray can" that I have had good luck with is Finger Ease.

Good luck until last night, that is. I was servicing my HD28 which my daughter has appropriated. I knew it woud be a bad idea to spray the fingerboard while holding the guitar over the carpet. Overspray, you know. So I held it over some hard wood floors in the hallway. Figured I'd wipe up the overspay later and what harm could it do to the oak planks? Along comes my wife in some cotton socks.............

You get the picture. Well, thankfully she didn't fall down. But there were verbal reprocussions in my ear. Yes, that stuff makes for a nice fast, smooth playng surface on the fingerboard too.

Frank
Old 03-05-2009, 08:12 AM

New strings are the biggest culprit from me. Like you, I don't mind string squeek unless its intrusive. New strings do that for me. Only last week I ditched a good take of a song because of it.

There is a way around it: Wavelab has a "sprectrum editing" utility that allows idenfication of the frequencies involved and editing of the waveform. It's awesome stuff - and I'm not easily awed. Not available for Mac, though.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:15 PM

On a recording reverb will accentuate string squeak, so avoid it. To a lesser degree a chorus effect can also make it worse.

Some people have tried to carve out with EQ the offending sound, but it becomes difficult to d and eliminates sounds that you inevitably want.

I don't know what plugins Garageband can use, but I found that a Desser can help A LITTLE. A good free vst pulgin is Spitfish. Though, it is intended to eliminate vocal 'plosives, Ps and Ss.

In the end, it is all about technique to reduce the string squeak.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
On a recording reverb will accentuate string squeak, so avoid it. To a lesser degree a chorus effect can also make it worse.

Some people have tried to carve out with EQ the offending sound, but it becomes difficult to d and eliminates sounds that you inevitably want.

I don't know what plugins Garageband can use, but I found that a Desser can help A LITTLE. A good free vst pulgin is Spitfish. Though, it is intended to eliminate vocal 'plosives, Ps and Ss.

In the end, it is all about technique to reduce the string squeak.
Thanks Valleyguy. I tried notching out the offending frequencies with the parametric eq you get with Garageband and, as you said, it was tough to get any significant improvement without impacting the good sound of the instrument. Oh well, I think it's back to re-record this one with better technique and/or nano PB's.

Thanks to all of you for your great suggestions!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell