The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Samick or Yamaha ??? HELP !!!!

Ok, I have narrowed it down to these two guitars. THey are both slimline, both are $299.00, that fits my budget right now..Anyone have any expierience playing either of these two.

1. Yamaha APX500

2. Samick TMJ5CE---Samick TD5CE

Thanks in advance..
Stan
Old 08-07-2008, 08:17 AM

Hi Stan,

Not much experience with Samick.

However with Yamaha APX series, I've played a couple of their newer ones (APX500 included) and they are pretty good for the money. I've got an old APX which is great plugged in, but like all thin line electric acoustics that I've played, when played unplugged, pretty weak in the bass.

Is this your first quitar? If so, and you think you'll be spending a fair amount of time with it unplugged, I'd consider going with a full depth model. For about $50 more you could get a CPX500, which which has a deeper body and will give better bass unplugged. Not as strong as a Dread, but a bit more balanced

For still better bass try a Yamaha FGX720SC - Would be $100 more, but much fuller tone.

If you want this guitar to have an acoustic/electric to play plugged in most of the time, the APX is a pretty decent instrument.

1985 Yamaha FG-460S
1985 Yamaha SBG-200
1993 Yamaha APX-SPLII
2001 Yamaha CPX-15SA
Old 08-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks, the reason for the slimmer guitars is my wife can't reach over the full body guitars. THat is why I am looking at the slimmer ones. SHe does some work at schools with kids and she needs the ability to go electric sometimes..

I appreciate your help....

Stan
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Well as you can see by my signature, I'm a big fan of Yamaha guitars.....

Just tend to find you get what you pay for and often times a bit more.

1985 Yamaha FG-460S
1985 Yamaha SBG-200
1993 Yamaha APX-SPLII
2001 Yamaha CPX-15SA
Old 08-07-2008, 10:08 AM

I don't really think either will let you down.

I have a Samick om8ce, that plays and sounds very nice, and my step son has Yamaha acoustic, f340, that sounds and plays nice as well...

take a look at a few of each as there may be noticeable difference between particular guitars.

good luck and have fun....

the view from down at the crossroads.

a couple of guitars, a mandolin,bongo drums, some harps, a recorder, train whistle and a kazoo....
Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractman View Post
Thanks, the reason for the slimmer guitars is my wife can't reach over the full body guitars. THat is why I am looking at the slimmer ones. SHe does some work at schools with kids and she needs the ability to go electric sometimes..
Stan
If that is the case, I would look at something smaller than a dreadnaught guitar like a parlor guitar. My choice would be an Art & Lutherie Ami. I don't think you can find a better solid topped guitar for that price point.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification