The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM

Default Rare Earth(humbucking) Vs. LR Baggs M1

Hi folks,
I am looking into these two pickups for my Lowden. I am combining one with my K&K minis. I realize they have subtle differences but, can anyone tell me which is the more logical choice. I have not heard either one myself. I want an active version in either. I`m looking for a warm bottom end and not a brittle high end. Of course, I can always tweak that out with EQ. I have used a Sunrise for years but found that it was so massive, it prevented the top from vibrating somewhat. I just want a good sounding magnetic. Thanks for your help in advance.....Derek
Old 08-03-2008, 04:27 PM

The Rare Earth is about half the size of the M1, is active and should be able to be combined with your K & K with no problem. I agree with you that the Sunrise adds a lot of mass to the guitar; it's a P-90 humbucker design that was modified for use in acoustic guitars eons ago.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM

I personally think that if you're comparing mag vs mag the m1 wins out, but if you're comparing the m1 vs the rare earth blend, the mic/mag combo beats out the m1. Since you're looking for better mag, my vote has to go to the m1. Plus baggs provides a stereo endpin so you can wire in a second pick up to the ring of the endpin.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Doug Young's site comparing piock ups is always useful.

Thanks Doug.....

I have the M1 active on a Martin and have not noticed that it affects by unplugged tone at all. Maybe my ears aren't discriminating enough..

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM

For combining with a K&K I'd go with the rare earth. For a single source I would go with the M-1. Since the M-1 already has body sensing, it would be more redundant with a K&K. The Rare earth (Since it doesn't have body sensing) should be more feedback resistant than the M-1, but that is speculation

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification