The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I have one of these one the way in the mail now (should be here today) and I'm looking forward to tinkering around with it. I'm really hoping that I wont need any complex signal chain to get favorable results.
After it arrives I'm gonna take it to Guitar Center and try it out with the Fishman Loudbox 100 (very nice little amp with an XLR port) and the Mackie SRM350. Is there anything you think I should know beforehand?
Recommendations to insure good results and best possible "climate" for the dyn-g to perform favorably?
Hi Brian!
I would bet that your Dyn-G will sound quite nice through the Loudbox 100. I had one of those and sold it when I got my Pendulum SPS-1. Great little amp!

I would just be patient and plan to spend a bit of time playing around to find that sweet spot. You may want to watch the videos that are in the first few posts of this thread. Those are great demos of the Dyn-G. The only caution on the videos is that it appears to me that he is using more putty than I've found necessary. Schertler recommends a dab about the size of a pencil eraser and that seems to be a good amount to adhere the pickup without loosing sound quality.

The sweet spot is the key. I first tried one out at a music store through an amp. I put it right on the sound board and wasn't impressed at all. In fact I was kind of happy to know that I didn't need to spend the money on the Dyn-G. I moved it to the bridge as shown in those demo videos and I got lucky and hit the sweet spot on my second try, loved the sound and bought the pickup.

I didn't bother to memorize the location on that second placement in the music store so it took some more screwing around to rediscover the sweet spot. So again, just be patient and have fun!

Matt
Old 07-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Hi Brian!
I would bet that your Dyn-G will sound quite nice through the Loudbox 100. I had one of those and sold it when I got my Pendulum SPS-1. Great little amp!

I would just be patient and plan to spend a bit of time playing around to find that sweet spot. You may want to watch the videos that are in the first few posts of this thread. Those are great demos of the Dyn-G. The only caution on the videos is that it appears to me that he is using more putty than I've found necessary. Schertler recommends a dab about the size of a pencil eraser and that seems to be a good amount to adhere the pickup without loosing sound quality.

The sweet spot is the key. I first tried one out at a music store through an amp. I put it right on the sound board and wasn't impressed at all. In fact I was kind of happy to know that I didn't need to spend the money on the Dyn-G. I moved it to the bridge as shown in those demo videos and I got lucky and hit the sweet spot on my second try, loved the sound and bought the pickup.

I didn't bother to memorize the location on that second placement in the music store so it took some more screwing around to rediscover the sweet spot. So again, just be patient and have fun!

Matt
I went to Guitar Center today to give the DYN-G a shot. The first thing I noticed was no "Honk" or "Quack" whatsoever! I was able to find the "sweet spot" on my second attempt, also. Unfortunately, after I pulled it up, I wasnt able to find it again The biggest issue by FAR was getting enough volume before the Fishman Loudbox 100 feeding back.

Sometimes it was a little difficult being able to get it loud enough to even hear it over the natural sound of my guitar. Perhaps it was a combination of me being too close to the amp and inexperienced with proper EQing procedures. What do you think, Matt?

I guess the first thing I'll do is buy an extender for the XLR cable. I tried it with the Mackie 350SRM and it gave me so much feedback that it almost blew up my guitar. Of course, since the Mackie PA doesnt have EQ function built into it, that was pretty much a lost cause.

Overall, I wasnt able to hear much, but the little I did hear was easily the best amplified acoustic sound I've ever gotten.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was able to find the "sweet spot" on my second attempt, also. Unfortunately, after I pulled it up, I wasnt able to find it again
Hi Brian,
Eventually you will find some way to memorize the location of your sweet spot. I have been using mine with one of my Goodalls. My sweet spot is right on the bridge with a perfect triangle of the bridge sticking out beyond the Dyn-G.

The other important thing to do is follow the instructions about sticking the Dyn-G down and then giving it a slight twist. I have found that this compresses the putty even more and gives me a better "connection" between the pickup and the bridge.

Quote:
The biggest issue by FAR was getting enough volume before the Fishman Loudbox 100 feeding back.
I had the same problem when I first tried out the Dyn-G in the music store. I was sitting right in front of the amp and I got a ton of feedback. EQ'ing was my first step. My guitar is a "Concert Jumbo" and the back and sides is East Indian Rosewood so the guitar is very powerful on the low end. So I dumped almost all of the lows, a bit of mids and boosted the highs a bit.

That helped a little but most transducers like this or internal mics, etc. will give you trouble if you are facing and in close proximity to your amp/monitor, etc. When I play live, I use the Bose L1 system which sits behind me so I rarely have any trouble with guitar feedback. I have, at every show I've done so far with the Dyn-G, listened to the Dyn-G on its own first without the Sunrise/K&K and I have gotten great volume without feedback.

With that said, I have not used an amp or a conventional PA system with monitors yet with my Dyn-G. That will happen for the first time a week from tonight. If I do have any trouble with feedback through the wedges I can use my preamp to send just the Sunrise/K&K to the monitor mix and have the full set up only through the front of house.

Quote:
Sometimes it was a little difficult being able to get it loud enough to even hear it over the natural sound of my guitar. Perhaps it was a combination of me being too close to the amp and inexperienced with proper EQing procedures. What do you think, Matt?

I guess the first thing I'll do is buy an extender for the XLR cable. I tried it with the Mackie 350SRM and it gave me so much feedback that it almost blew up my guitar. Of course, since the Mackie PA doesnt have EQ function built into it, that was pretty much a lost cause.
You will probably need another XLR cable. As I mentioned before Schertler should have either made this cable long enough to be a bit more functional on its own or only about 1.5' long making it easier to use with an extension cable.

If you get a chance to try it with an amp again, put the amp behind you and keep the sound hole away from the amp. As for EQ'ing it really depends on how you intend to use the pickup. If you are playing live a lot you may want to consider either a good acoustic amp (I think the Fishman SoloAmp is going to be wonderful and should be out soon.) a preamp and/or blending the Dyn-G with a string sensitive pickup in a dual source rig.

If you went with something like the SoloAmp you might be able to use just the Dyn-G direct into the SoloAmp, keep the amp behind you and do all your EQing on it.

If you are playing on stages with monitors you could use the SoloAmp as your monitor and not have your guitar in the wedges. Or if you went with a dual source, send both pickups to the front of house and only the string sensitive pickup through the wedges.

If you let me know how you plan to use the Dyn-G I could make more specific recommendations. The key is to not be facing an amp or a speaker.

Quote:
Overall, I wasnt able to hear much, but the little I did hear was easily the best amplified acoustic sound I've ever gotten.
It is a great pickup. I did another concert in the park yesterday and recorded the show. I started listening to it this morning and was very impressed with the quality of my guitar sound.

Hope that helps a bit.

Matt
Old 08-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I was able to go back for another round of experimentation today. Using your advice, I got much better results with respect to feedback and volume. I was working with the Fishman Loudbox 100 that entire time.

Also, I picked up an XLR extension cable. I didnt really have enough room to use it at this particular Guitar Center here in Atlanta, but once I go back home to Memphis, I should be able to finish my work with the
Fishman since their acoustic room is much larger. My aim is simply to use the DYNG for solo instrumental acoustic work. Ideally, I'd like enough power to fill an auditorium, but I'd mostly need it for small open mic settings.

The SoloAmp sounds like a winner; I did some research on it and called to make sure the local Guitar Center would be able to get one in. It'll be out in the middle of this month; looking forward to checking it out.
Also, thank you so much for all of your assistance so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification