The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-03-2010, 07:57 AM

Default fingerstyle questions

As I get deeper into learning fingerstyle, I'm seeing that there are some differences in approaches. For example, there Rick Ruskin's approach (say, in "6 String Conspiracy") seems very different than Mark Hanson's approach. I like them both very much. And, when I'm learning some chord melody tunes, there seems to be yet another approach. My question is this: Should I be concerned about learning a specific style or does it come down to whatever feels comfortable at the time? Should I worry about rules about which fingers go on which strings, or does a good fingerstylist surpass those concerns and just does what works at the time?

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-03-2010, 08:08 AM

I think it's important to absorb the specific techniques that work well for you and to get all your fingers working the strings. The way I see it, you're already at a deficit (5 fingers to 6 strings), why increase that deficit by not working all your fingers...even though that pinky will seem to have a mind of it's own for a while.

I would also suggest examining your left hand position. Proper positioning of the guitar, neck & left hand will make more complex fingerings a lot easier. You don't have to adopt a strict classical style position, but points I think are important are: keep the guitar in against your body with the lower bout down and the neck angling up. That places the left hand in a very natural position and maximizes your finger reach. Keep that thumb back on the neck and not hooked over the top of the fretboard.

From there - just try to stay comfortable.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-03-2010, 08:12 AM
The Foreigner

Rick (who's a member here) does have a very unique style and sound. Just like guitars, no single playing style excels at everything, but these accomplished musicians have built their arrangements around their own individual styles (and perhaps vice versa). What I do is learn them all and adapt to the music at hand.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM

There are two reciprocally determined things going on here. You have to be proficient in the proper technique for the style of music (arrangement) you're playing and you have to play songs that are arranged to use a style in which you are proficient.

As the old saying goes Ars Longa, Vita Brevis, Baby and for those of us who come to guitar late in life and have day jobs it is perhaps wise to identify one or two basic right-hand styles that suit a large number of the songs that we most enjoy or want to play. One could spend months or years learning to work their thumb and fingers together in the style of Etta Baker, let's say, but then realize that what they really wanted to do is work up a song or two in that vein and then move on to playing elaborately melodic and polyrhythmic art music like Pierre Bensusan writes.

It could be argued that very little of the effort that went into learning "One Dime Blues" is going to directly facilitate playing "Sentimentales Pyromaniaques". Ideally you might want to play in half a dozen different style proficiently but it's probably best to pick one that allows you to play the most variety of songs you like. Then maybe move into other styles down the road. There is no universal technique that lets you effortlessly switch genres. The word "fingerstyle" covers way too much ground.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Learn a few tunes within your abilities (push yourself a little ) in the different styles and things will grow on you which you can latter take to the bank for the rest of what you do.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone. Very helpful, as usual. Love this forum.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 02-03-2010, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I agree with what others have said, maybe pick a few songs in a style that use a certain right hand technique, and learn those. Having studied classical guitar for a few years, my technique is based largely on that, and has crossed over well to the celtic tunes i arrange now. However, i cant really travis pick, or do the thing where one guy plays the bass line, melody, and inner voicings all at once. One day i may learn those styles, but i am pretty happy with what i am doing at the moment.

Anton
Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 AM

Default Foundation with flexibility

My perspective is perhaps different.

I'm a student of Mark Hanson's.

Mark does have an approach which many consider the "typical" or "normal" approach to the right hand. Using mainly the thumb and three fingers, and where needed the pinky. Most of the time staying on assigned strings.

As a student of his, I would quickly say that his right hand approach is KEY, and the foundation to having solid technique, which will only serve you well later! YET, he is NOT dogmatic about every minor thing. There are times when my right index finger may, on purpose, play a notes on the bass strings; and other times when my right thumb, on purpose, plays notes on the treble stings. Yes, those are exceptions, and they're done with intent, when that is the best choice to play something musically.

Bottom Line:

Build a STRONG foundation, with consistent habits; and yet be flexible where needed.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4
Old 02-05-2010, 02:34 PM

For me, I began with the finters assigned to certain strings and using 3 fingers and thumb. Sounds like I have progressed like Mark and realized that doesn't always work and the fingers must be call on for fadditional assignments. Speaking of assignments, I watched someone [please don't ask who as I don't remember] playing a larger part of a song with his left hand while chording. I'm still working on that one.
It may be a good idea to have a specific aplication in mind, but do not be afraid to step out of the box.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write