The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-05-2009, 12:16 PM

Default Zoom H4N

I received my Zoom H4N yesterday. First thoughts are quite positive. I found it very intuitive to use and was able to navigate through the menus and do some recording without cracking the manual.

I recorded some tracks using an external microphone and then using the internal microphones. I like the sound of the external microphone better (a Beyerdynamic MC930), but found the internal microphones sound pretty good. They are pretty bright, which probably helps when using the unit at a distance, but things seemed a little harsh when used a few feet from my guitar. I'll play around with positioning the unit and see if I can improve the results.

I also set the H4N up to work as an audio interface with my computer. That was a bit tricky due to a missing driver, but I figured it out with some internet digging. I can now record audio and play it back through Cubase 4 LE, which came with the Zoom. I hadn't used Cubase before (10 years of Pro Tools), but it seems like a solid program. I am having some issues with pops/clicks on playback that I'm working through.

All in all, I'm really impressed with the H4N. It is simple to use and sounds pretty good. I'm planning to use it for location recording and as a scratchpad for song ideas. The audio interface aspect is a bonus.

Bryan
Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 PM

Default zoom h4n

that is the new version. wonder if anyone has done an a/b test with it and the older version. i was thinking about getting one or the other, so that is why i ask. i'm sure the newer version is more expensive.
keep us up on how you like it.
thanks,
mikeB.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell