The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-02-2009, 12:53 PM

Default Counsel needed

I am a relative newbie having only been playing(attempting to is more appropriate)for a little over a year,but privately wrote lyrics for some time,albeit with no formal music training.I am consigering going to a 3 day songwriting workshop put on by Darrell Scott and Mary Gauthier in May.I assume that most folks who sign up for these are pretty advanced and i run the risk of highly irritating Mr Scott and Ms Gauthier plus humiliating myself.I would really like to go if i could just be a "sponge"and absorb and learn but dont know if that is considered acceptable.Any thoughts?Mike S.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by miksel View Post
I am a relative newbie having only been playing(attempting to is more appropriate)for a little over a year,but privately wrote lyrics for some time,albeit with no formal music training.I am consigering going to a 3 day songwriting workshop put on by Darrell Scott and Mary Gauthier in May.I assume that most folks who sign up for these are pretty advanced and i run the risk of highly irritating Mr Scott and Ms Gauthier plus humiliating myself.I would really like to go if i could just be a "sponge"and absorb and learn but dont know if that is considered acceptable.Any thoughts?Mike S.
Mike,
If you are paying to attend this songwriting workshop, then it is up to Darrell and Mary to earn their money!

Don't worry about humiliating yourself.

Ask as many questions as you need to. Ultimately one or two of them will be the same thing one of the 'advanced' writers was wondering, but was too afraid to ask.

As far as sponges go, a portable recording device is well advised so that you don't have to scribble furiously.

HE
Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM
happiness

What an exciting opportunity! I tend to agree with the above, but if in doubt why not phone the course organisers and ask what the standard is? Chances are it will be something that anyone at any level will be able to learn things from, and I'd be willing to bet you will learn a huge amount from it and get really inspired.

Fliss
Old 03-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Any thoughts?Mike S.
Hi Mike...
If they did not specify a previous level of expertise or experience and you are unsure, then perhaps contacting them ahead of time and asking would be appropriate.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Mike,
If you are paying to attend this songwriting workshop, then it is up to Darrell and Mary to earn their money!

Don't worry about humiliating yourself.

Ask as many questions as you need to. Ultimately one or two of them will be the same thing one of the 'advanced' writers was wondering, but was too afraid to ask.
DITTO That
Old 03-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Default Miksel

I think that it is the prefect venue for you, there is never stupid question except for the one that never gets asked. I think most folks who sign up for these type of courses are just like you are and need to learn some structure or whatever else they might be lacking in their writing skills, even pro's need some re-tuning occasionally for inspiration, go and learn and write some great songs and if you get a chance remebere to share what you have learnt.Ship
Old 03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Be warned... Darrell is from Kentucky. It could be worse, you could be from Indiana...

Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Thanks!!!!

As always,i appreciate the input from the folks i consider my friends.Mike S
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Writing good lyrics, a major part of song writing, requires no muical training. Great songs don't necessarily have difficult melodies, harmonic progressions or rhythmic structure. Therefore, you shouldn't count yourself out as a song writer.

That said, I'm all for training, on the theory that a sharp axe is easier to use than a dull one. I'd say go for the class, but call ahead to confirm that it is going to be well suited.

Good luck, and if you go, please let us know your impressions.

cotten
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I assume that most folks who sign up for these are pretty advanced and i run the risk of highly irritating Mr Scott and Ms Gauthier plus humiliating myself.
The only way they will be irritated is if your check bounces! You are probably giving your fellow attendees too much credit as well ... go, enjoy, and take away what you can.

Playing music with my friends ... March, 2005
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratokatsu View Post
Be warned... Darrell is from Kentucky. It could be worse, you could be from Indiana...
Leave it to Strat to bring up the Kentucky angle!

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 PM

My only opinion on the matter is, that if everyone attending workshops was already fairly advanced, they wouldn't really be a need to offer them.

If you go there and think you can learn something, wouldn't that make you the perfect person to attend a workshop?

Good luck and let us know what it was like (and pass on all the tips, tricks and info to us for free )

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 03-04-2009, 04:49 PM

Darrell is a really stand-up guy and, as much as I tend to avoid such events, if there's a fella on the planet who is willing and able to help you play more musically, he can and will. I wouldn't sweat the proficiency thing. Darrell tends to be more about the vibe and the voice of music. That said, as inexperienced as your playing may be at the moment, there is not another voice like yours. If you want to go, put away your fears and go. You'll find welcome where Mr. Scott is.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

I havent been to a work shop I have seen Darrel Scott play live in the round (5 song writers) in Nashville during Tin Pan South which in and of itself was a very worthwhile learning experience .. He is an exceptional songwriter as well as a great guitar player Yet, He seemed pretty down to earth, Just be honest and tell them your are interested in song writing but a beginner guitar player shouldn't be an issue ........ so my advice is go for it ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell