The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-06-2008, 04:30 AM

Angry Output of B-band UST

Hi fellas,

I am using a B-band UST tranducer with a B-band A5T onboard preamp on my Ibanez aw800 ece nt. I'm having some problems with my system. First I'm having VERY low output, almost HALF of my co guitar player wich plays with a classic4 FIshman. Also, my strings don't sound ALL the same. I'm losing my low E. What could it be? The tranducer? The preamp? BOTH? the bridge? I am willing to replace the tranducer but I don't want to spend money if the problem will still be there. I'd rather save it and spend it for another system (wich one?)

thank you for your time
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM

I've had B-Band USTs in several guitars and found that the output could be very low without a proper installaton and sufficient pressure on the strings. (Like other multi-directional USTs, it can be fairly SBT-like when just lying in the slot without adequate string pressure being transferred thru the saddle.) The rule of thumb is that there should be about as much saddle showing above the slot as there is down in the slot. Also, you want a snug fit of the saddle in the slot, not so tight that its binding at some point in the slot (and therefore not applying proper pressure on some or all sections of the element), or so loose that the saddle tilts forward in the slot. If the problem isn't overtly obvious, you'll want to have your installion checked by a luthier or guitar tech with plenty of experience with UST installions.

Even with the best of installations, the B-Band UST system tends to be noisier than other brand name UST systems. Most specifically, it exhibits a lot more high end hiss when turned up.

Gary
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM

Playloud,

assuming your problem has developed over time, and when the installation/guitar was new it sounded fine, can I suggest that the UST may be of the older design and is dying.
B-Band modified the design of the UST last Autumn to overcome this problem. Please email B-Band and explain what has happened, I am sure they will send you a replacement FOC once they have confirmed that the UST is in fact the problem. www.b-band.com

If this problem has been there since the original installation, then it sounds like the bottom of your bridge saddle is not perfectly flat. They are very fussy about the flatness of the saddle, just a fraction of a thou undulation can cause big level differences between strings.
mel
Old 08-06-2008, 11:06 AM

Are there any OTHER USTs, exept B-Band? Something I could use with my A5T preamp?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:54 PM

I just bought a B-band A1.2 UST pickup/preamp. It sounds great. The problem you are having is most likely that you are using the AST Preamp (MADE SPECIFICALLY TO WORK WITH THE B-BAND AST) with a UST. These are 2 very different transducers. That is why they use 2 different preamps. B-band has very good customer service. Before you buy anything more I would email or call them and discuss your problem. Maybe they would exchange your preamp for the right one. It's worth a try. I bought 3 of the A2.2 models that turned out to be older (lower output) preamps, and they sent me 3 new (higher output) ones in exchange. I am quite sure your hissing is due to mismatched preamp and transducer. If you get the right preamp that UST will work just fine as long as it's seated properly under your saddle. IMO B-band makes 1 of the best sounding UST pickup-preamps out there.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:59 PM

No No 66. My guitar came LOADED with the UST AND the A5T preamp so, NO mismatching, unless they do it from the company.
I also checked the manuals. Nothing wrong with using these two
Old 08-07-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playloud View Post
No No 66. My guitar came LOADED with the UST AND the A5T preamp so, NO mismatching, unless they do it from the company.
I also checked the manuals. Nothing wrong with using these two
__________________________________________________ _______________

OOPS! Sorry Playloud. I misread that as AST instead of A5T. An easy mistake to make. My apologies on that. How old is your setup? B-band has upgraded their preamps as I mentioned. They may very well replace that A5T for you if it's older. I would definitely email or call customer service and tell them what you're experiencing. Is this a sudden problem or has it been this way all along? How about your battery? Has that been changed recently?
Old 08-07-2008, 04:59 AM

Hi again 66. The problem with the lower output has been all along. I have contacted B-band and they said they would send me a new UST. Could that solve the problem or is it the preamp? My guitar (an Ibanez aw800 ece nt) I bought a year ago new, ready with the UST/A5T system on. The battery is not an issue. I always carry 2 extra batteries along
Old 08-07-2008, 06:27 AM

It's very possible that the problem could be in the UST. When I first installed one of my USTs I had low output on 1 of my strings. The problem was in the way that the UST was sitting under the saddle. Here is some info on troubleshooting B-Band UST problems. Read through it. maybe that new UST will cure the problem.

http://www.b-band.com/pdf/B-Band-Cor...structions.pdf
Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 AM

as 66strummer says, it probably is the UST. Especially if the end is red, its the old design. The new ones came out in about september last year. Also check that the bottom of the saddle is perfectly flat to make even contact all along the pickup.
mel
Old 08-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Thank you guys, I'll see what's gonna happen with the new one. Anyhow, my guitar I bought last July (and asumming it was there for some time) so it can't be the uprgaded one, right?
Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playloud View Post
Thank you guys, I'll see what's gonna happen with the new one. Anyhow, my guitar I bought last July (and asumming it was there for some time) so it can't be the uprgaded one, right?
__________________________________________________ ________________

As Mel mentioned, check if your UST is RED or BLACK. If it's red then it would be the old-style and that might indicate the preamp would be older. I should point out that I am not real familiar with the preamp on the A5T that you have. I know that B-band made higher output preamps later for the A1.2s and A2.2s. I'm not sure if they needed to do that on the A5T. I'll try to find out. Hopefully your problem is just in the UST transducer. Anyway in the meantime check your surfaces on the saddle and the saddle slot and make sure everything is level. Put the bottom of your saddle on a flat surface and make sure that it sits flush. Also if you have shims down in your saddle slot (that sit under the saddle) they can definitely affect how your UST sounds. You may just need a new saddle (if yours is chewed up on the bottom or anything like that). Having all of those surfaces level and flush are as important to proper sound and string pickup as having fresh batteries in your preamp. Actually here is the 2008 catalog that tells upgrades to the different products etc...... See if your A5T is different from the new 1...
http://www.b-band.com/pdf/B-Band_200...ar_catalog.pdf

Last edited by 66strummer; 08-07-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:19 PM

I pulled a red ust outta my tacoma last night, it died, horribly.
Good luck to you, just saw the thread and thought i'd chime in.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayfe View Post
I pulled a red ust outta my tacoma last night, it died, horribly.
Good luck to you, just saw the thread and thought i'd chime in.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Hmmm...... Do you know for sure that the problem is in the UST? Generally a transducer doesnt just "die", but electronics can definitely go bad after awhile. Are you sure it isnt the preamp that went bad?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Found this old thread looking for a way to contact B-Band. I picked up an older guitar with one of their systems and the UST pickup is shot. Seems like the side mounted EQ is fine though.

Their website is gone...are they still in business?

Last edited by Mayfair; 09-04-2018 at 02:26 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification