The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Not comparing him to Bach, but Bach would get the same treatment
No no no no no no no no no no, that's so wrong, you've just made a black hole of wrongness

I don't like to criticise anyone who is trying to do anything creative because generally it's all good but if I was going to teach someone how to shred I would probably show them that as an example of what not to do. Because if that was just showing an example of technique then that means he's focused on technique too much which is a terrible trap a lot of eager musicians fall into and they develop tunnel vision. If he wanted to show off technique he should've been able to do it musically, even maybe playing a piece by Bach. It wouldn't have been improvising but it would've been impressive which was the point He's young though and he's got technique so there's plenty of time to get back into music
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucalola View Post
No no no no no no no no no no, that's so wrong, you've just made a black hole of wrongness

I don't like to criticise anyone who is trying to do anything creative because generally it's all good but if I was going to teach someone how to shred I would probably show them that as an example of what not to do. Because if that was just showing an example of technique then that means he's focused on technique too much which is a terrible trap a lot of eager musicians fall into and they develop tunnel vision. If he wanted to show off technique he should've been able to do it musically, even maybe playing a piece by Bach. It wouldn't have been improvising but it would've been impressive which was the point He's young though and he's got technique so there's plenty of time to get back into music
I think you and I agree for the most part about this kid. My whole point is that folks will really trash this guy for reasons that make no sense, and fail to see the broader picture out of dislike for the style he's playing in.

Your post above at least offered reasons and critique that made sense.

My apologies to the classical masters

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification