The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshore View Post
I second that Larry,

The LB6 bone sounds full and imparts that all the nuances of the Acoustic guitar on the PA without Coloration. The Bone LB6 is best of both worlds, sound of the bone saddle when unplugged and the best possible, feed back resistant sound when plugged into the PA.

BTW Bob Collosi has discontinued the Bone LB6 for some time, although he has kindly agreed to make 2 more for me for my upcoming custom builds.

Best,

Keyshore

Havent tried this 1 mentioned but I have tried a B-band UST. They arent that expensive and sound as natural for a UST as I have heard. Another good choice if you want to stay with a UST transducer. The sound quality on my B-band equipped Ibanez always seems to get compliments from people when I play it out.....
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM

Since the quackiness, or lack thereof, of the LB6 is being discussed, I thought I may as well try some test recordings of my LB6-equipped Taylor 314c. I used a high-headroom (18v supply) PUTW "Line Driver" to preamp the signal and a PreSonus EQ3B (3 band parametric EQ) to EQ the signal. After the EQ3B I used a splitter to send one signal directly to input #1 of my Zoom H4 recorder. The other signal was routed thru Mama Bear, then to input #2 of the H4. The two tracks were taken into Cubase and split up so that I could order the four pairs of playing snippets sequentially, with the Mama-tized signal placed second for each pair. I should mention that I used a modest 45% effect level with Mama Bear. Many Mama Bear users have stated a preference for a much heavier effect level, especially for recordings. I just tend to prefer the in-your-face UST sound, I guess.

LB6 samples, without and with Mama Bear

I've used LB6s in four different guitars and have found it has several appealing qualities; a fairly "woody" tone, a high feedback threshold and a very even string volume balance. It definitely gives me a better string balance than any of the film USTs which I've tried in this particular guitar. (For some reason, the high 'e' has been noticeably weak with all the film pickups.) On the downside, it isn't as articulate as the film pickups (especially the PUTW I/O UST) and its quackier than the Mi-Si film UST system. The Mi-Si system's battery-free current amplifier really does reduce quackiness (as the Mi-Si folks claim) and give me a smoother response to the touch. When I switched pickups in the Taylor, from the Mi-Si system to the LB6, the increased "crispyness" of the LB6 was noticeable even with a light picking attack. I'm giving some consideration to sending an LB6 to Mi-Si to have a Mi-Si preamp adapted to it. My experiment of coupling a Mi-Si preamp to a PUTW I/O UST didn't work out too well (I'm convinced the I/O UST works better with the PUTW Line Driver), but I'm still thinking that a Mi-Si preamp/LB6 experiment might be worth a try. The LB6's crispyness continues to annoy me, but I don't want to lose the excellent string volume balance by switching back to a standard Mi-Si system in that guitar.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-28-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Wow Gary,

In following this thread, You had me on the verge of contemplating whether or not I should investigate replacing the Stealth ES in my R Taylor with an LB-6 system. I am glad you posted this. To each his own, but I don't like the sound at all!

The first recordings to my ear sound very rubber bandy, especially when you hit the bass notes. The Mama Bear versions sounds somewhat better, but is still very telltale piezoish to me. I know you said you are a fan of the in your face UST sound so that's good. Call me odd, but I'm back to liking the slightly magnetic character of the ES all over again!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Wow Gary,

In following this thread, You had me on the verge of contemplating whether or not I should investigate replacing the Stealth ES in my R Taylor with an LB-6 system. I am glad you posted this. To each his own, but I don't like the sound at all!

You must not be following this thread very closely, Joe, as I'm not the one who brought up the LB6 or recommended it. I only submitted the reality check recordings and commented on what I believe are the pros and cons of the pickup. My current favorite setup, as I mentioned in my first post, is a dual source setup which blends a Shadow SH-145 soundhole mag with the Mi-Si UST system in one of my OMs. I'm also having great fun with the Shadow NanoMag/PUTW I/O UST combo in another guitar. With the latter combo, however, I have to roll off considerable treble from the NanoMag signal. The NanoMag's high end is pretty brittle sounding.

Gary
Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 AM

Joe,

After giving it some consideration, it occurs to me that there are some further comments which I should make about installing an LB6 in a Taylor. My guitar tech found that he actually had to widen the saddle slot a tad to get the LB6 into it and mounted properly. This procedure may well have compromised the saddle slot for the film pickups which came later. For one thing, the 1/8" wide Graph Tech TUSQ saddle which my tech replaced the LB6 with is a little loose in the slightly oversized slot. As a consequence, it leans forward a tad and doesn't put the optimum pressure on whatever film UST is installed. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the high 'e' string has amplified a bit weakly with every film UST that I've tried in that guitar after the initial LB6 installation. (I've had a Baggs Element UST {as part of an iMix system}, a DTAR Wavelength UST, a PUTW I/O UST and a Mi-Si UST in the Taylor since the initial LB6 installation.) Its possible that the saddle slot floor was compromised when the slot was widened. In any event, its an absolute fact that the film USTs in both of my OMs perform better (especially in terms of string volume balance) than any film UST which I've tried in the Taylor. If I can't eventually get satisfaction from the LB6 in the Taylor (with a Mi-Si preamp, or possibly a PUTW "Quackbuster" wired in parallel with the LB6), I may well have to get its saddle slot filled and recut so that I can get a better performance from whatever film UST I install in that guitar.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 07-29-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:25 AM

Ooops. Thanks for clarifying Gary. You're right, it was another poster speaking on the "full and natural sound" of the LB-6. I had then done a search on it and found numerous other posts talking about it. It looks like ljguitar might be one person that really likes it and I got you guys turned around. Don't get me wrong. I did not think your samples sounded awful, just not what I was expecting after reading all the other posts about how good the LB-6 sounded. It would definitely not be for me.

I kind of like the B-Band dual source however. Listen to the Taylor 410 examples on this page:

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/mp3.shtml

The UST definitely sounds piezo to me, with that rubber band factor. The AST (SBT) sample and the blended UST/AST sample however sound quite nice.

Last edited by Joe F; 07-29-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Ooops. Thanks for clarifying Gary. You're right, it was another poster speaking on the "full and natural sound" of the LB-6. .
Hi,

i am the one who posted that and it works for me. I am not trying to recommend the LB6, i am only giving you my expirences.

I am very happy with the sound of my Collosi/Baggs bone LB6. Cable goes from my guitar into the para DI to boost the signal and then directly into my APB Prorack mixer which is a high quality analog mixer where i eq the signal to my taste. (controls on Para are set flat) Great acoustic sound which is virtually noise free.

The LB6 is not popular as it's a little tricky to install and need the services of a qualified repairer. The saddle slot on the guitar has to be made a bit wide.

James Taylor is one of the most famous users of the LB6. In his 1991 'live' concert, he drives the LB6 through the pendulum preamp and gets a beautiful tone. It's more of an 'electro acoustic' sound.

For his One man Band show he now drives the LB6 through the radial PZ-pre and then connects it to the fishman Aura. His tone through this rig has more wood sound, though i also like his 1991 sound too.

best part of the LB6 is no batteries or pre amp on board this guitar. There are a lot of other options today like the K&K mini, mcintyre feather etc. i must add that there are some folks who do not like the LB6 so to each his own.

Keyshore
Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 AM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Havent tried this 1 mentioned but I have tried a B-band UST. They arent that expensive and sound as natural for a UST as I have heard. Another good choice if you want to stay with a UST transducer. The sound quality on my B-band equipped Ibanez always seems to get compliments from people when I play it out.....
Observant of you, Agent 66. Really, all I need is my B-Band UST + A1.2 endpin preamp for my Martin D-18 and HD-28 to achieve some cool sounds and tones. Paired with my Rivera Sedona 55W combo, it's all I need. Play on, pick often, and prosper.....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabookie View Post
Observant of you, Agent 66. Really, all I need is my B-Band UST + A1.2 endpin preamp for my Martin D-18 and HD-28 to achieve some cool sounds and tones. Paired with my Rivera Sedona 55W combo, it's all I need. Play on, pick often, and prosper.....Kabookie
__________________________________________________ _______________

Hey Kabookie. What's up?...... I picked up a new B-band UST + A1.2 from a remote seller on Ebay the other day for a nice price and tried it out. I still like the sound of the AST-1470 + A1.2N a little better but you can really crank up the UST model with no feedback issues. Still waiting on the new A2.2 preamps to arrive at my house. Any day now.......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification