The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
An acoustic cannot actually feel like an electric. You can only try to fool yourself that it can
I know that an acoustic cannot feel exactly like an electric. I have several electric guitars with F holes and I need an actual acoustic.

Some acoustic necks do feel and play a lot more like electrics than others.

I have played them. So far they are the expensive ones.....but I'm a gonna keep on a lookin'.....
Old 04-11-2015, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Buy any guitar that you like the sound of and get it Zagerized.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 04-11-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popguy View Post
...I tried the Taylor 314Ce and it sounded good and played well....but I don't want a body that big and I want a slimmer neck...I don't think I like the auditorium body for my needs...playing gigs for long hours and I don't want to be wrapping my arms around such a deep body...I would like the neck to feel like an electric guitar neck...like a Gibson ES335. For sitting around and playing or even recording a Taylor 314 or Eastman AC322ce would be fine. But for playing out a lot I need total comfort ...I am just not comfortable with these big acoustics...
While I can't say for sure - you never know until you try - based on your stated requirements the Epi is most definitely not your guitar. First off, it's a dreadnought body - with all the physical bulk associated therewith - and if you're not even comfortable with auditorium-size guitars you're certainly not going to be happy with this one; second, while I haven't played a Masterbilt in a while I have played many other late-model Epis (and own an Ultra 339). Speaking from personal experience, over the last few years they've gradually gone over to a rather odd neck shape: a thick, chunky, cheeky, hard-D profile that resembles nothing I've encountered in over fifty years as a guitarist, and quite frankly feels like it was designed around the anatomy of a thrash-metal-playing orangutan; FYI it actually causes me pain if I play barre chords for any length of time, even with 10-46 strings - BTW I started as a jazz player and have no problem whatsoever handling 14's on an archtop - so if you're after something with the speed and fluid handling of an electric, unfortunately this ain't it...
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Kip that don't lookalike no stinkin D28!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:04 PM

Have you tried any of the GAD models from Guild? If dreads are too big, they have solid wood OM's too. Slim modified low oval necks with 1 3/4" nuts. I have the F-130 which is the solid spruce top and solid mahogany back and sides OM. They also offer it with rosewood back and sides. I absolutely love mine, and both are well under your budget.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

Guild F-130NAT
Alvarez RD-8
Old 04-11-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
Kip that don't lookalike no stinkin D28!
Well here are the acoustics that are tucked away under the skin of her acording the the documentation:
  • 1959 MartinŽ D-28
  • 1970 MartinŽ D12-28
  • 1967 MartinŽ O-18
  • 1966 GuildŽ F212
  • 1995 GibsonŽ J-200

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 04-11-2015, 08:57 PM

Try and find yourself a used Yairi WY1. They make a number of slight variations.

http://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/wy1ts/

Bedell TB-28G
Guild GAD M20 NA
Michael Kelly V65 SP
Tacoma PM20
Alvarez AP70
Old 04-11-2015, 09:04 PM

if you liked the grand concert taylor you can get one a lot cheaper than 2500 here. i saw a gc4 for like 900 the other day.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:31 PM

If you want a small body guitar with a slim neck with a big beautiful sound, try one of the Blueridge "000" size such as a BR-143 Sitka Spruce/Mahogany or BR-163 Sitka Spruce/Rosewood. Another option for the same guitar is the BR-143A or BR-163A,but these have Adirondack Spruce tops instead of Sitka. Very nice guitars,all Solid Wood construction and very affordable.

Brian

2014 Blueridge BR-140CE Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Solid Mahogany Back and Sides

2008 Takamine EG440C-Transparent Black Quilted Maple(Campfire Guitar)

2007 Blueridge BR-43 Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Mahogany Back and Sides
Old 04-12-2015, 04:38 AM

If you're playing plugged in mostly, think about an Ibanez. Really electric feeling fretboard. Different colours too. I have played a Talman series which feels very electric with a tiny body, but Ibanez also do more acoustic looking guitars too.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ag_...3&series_id=88

Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
If you're only playing plugged in, find a used Crafted SA
You mean, "Crafter" SA. Actually they have two models, an "SA" single coil pickup, and an, "SAT" which has a humbucker. Both guitars have L.R.Baggs preamps and a piezo UST. The image below is an "SAT" model. The humbucker is disguised as a (single coil), P-90
And yes, these are Taylor T-5 knockoffs. Some people like them better than a T-5, but that's a whole 'nuther topic..This guitar is wired for stereo also. The "SA" model is mono.

In any case, for an acoustic to "play like an electric", I think the most critical factor, would be for it to have medium jumbo frets.

Other factors are "acoustic extra light" strings, .010 to .047. a top notch setup, and a bound neck. (Yeah I know the neck binding could cause a bit of controversy, but still, I've found the fret ends to be better treated on guitars with bound necks.

Even if you meet all those criteria, an acoustic still won't play, "just like an electric", but it will be quite close. Dennis at Adirondack Guitar sells those Crafters, and he's a decent guy to deal with. Plus, there aren't all that many Crafter dealers here in the US. http://www.adirondackguitar.com/adkg...arsForSale.htm

Those Crafter SA & SAT models come with steel strings. I have two left handed 12 string models (SA & SAT), and I swap the strings for 12 string acoustic light sets. That tends to favor the piezo, and detract from the electric magnetic pickups somewhat. But, since they're "hybrid guitars", a single string solution won't favor both pickups.

Last edited by Captaincranky; 04-12-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:35 AM

The Yamaha APX series is exactly what you're looking for - small, thin bodies, low profile necks, good pickup system. Acoustic stage guitars for electric players. They're laminated, so won't have the loudest/best acoustic voice, but they fit your specs to a tee. About $300.

P
Old 04-12-2015, 06:35 AM

Check the Godin website, they used to have an A6 Ultra that sounds like what you want. I don't know your budget, but a Tom Anderson Crowdster is possibly the best option for what it sounds like you want. That is, if you want an acoustic that feels somewhat like an electric.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:54 AM

You might want to look at PRS Angelus custom SE. There is a used one on the GC website in your price range ($650). I have played a few of these and they get mixed reviews on this forum, but the necks are slim like an electric with a smaller body size. Good luck on finding what you want.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
Well here are the acoustics that are tucked away under the skin of her acording the the documentation:
  • 1959 MartinŽ D-28
  • 1970 MartinŽ D12-28
  • 1967 MartinŽ O-18
  • 1966 GuildŽ F212
  • 1995 GibsonŽ J-200

Hey Kip, tell us what you think of it when you get it, you got me wanting one now! All no - more GAS

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
electric neck, fast action, thin neck