The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 11:16 AM

Default Ordered a Martin GPCRSGT - Gonna Give it a Try

I bought my Yamaha A1M a coupe of weeks ago and I am very pleased with it.
It sounds so full and rich.
I have never really played Acoustic before (my only acoustic was a $77 Rogue), but I am really enjoying it.

I had $700 in Amazon rewards and I was looking at the $699 Martin X series (laminate sides and back), but I would need to buy a case for $100. This guitar is similar in to my Yamaha, but for $200 more.
At this point the $999 for the all solid wood Road Series GBCRSGT seemed like a great bang for the buck including hardshell case, especially since I only had to lay out $300 of actual cash.

The other guitar I was looking at was the USA made GPCPA4 for $1499, but that seemed a bit much, at that point I would probably grab a 2018 Gibson SG Standard.

I guess I will find out how it is Tuesday.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

You're going to love it!

But you are a brave man ordering without going out to try them.

Best of luck with it and don't forget to post NGD pics!
Old 11-23-2017, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I just noticed that you got the GP and not the dread. I like the feel of the GP better for very little loss of base. And much bigger sound than a 000

What made you decide?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
You're going to love it!

But you are a brave man ordering without going out to try them.

Best of luck with it and don't forget to post NGD pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I just noticed that you got the GP and not the dread. I like the feel of the GP better for very little loss of base. And much bigger sound than a 000

What made you decide?
Amazon has a no risk return policy, so I figured it is worth a shot.

Your posts were a huge reason I decided to try the GP body style.
I do prefer the Dread sound.

I know you went with the high priced model as it sounded much better to you, but since I won't be hearing them back to back I want to see what I think.

The only thing that weighs on my mind is...

Did I buy two middle guitars ($999 and $499) or should I have bought the one $1499 USA guitar?

I have found with my Fenders that the MIMs are every bit as good as the USA models.
However, with Gibsons you have to get the decent quality USA models, no the budget models.

One last thing...

When I was trying out guitars at Sam Ash, I did try some higher priced Martins, $1299, $1499, and up.
I picked the Yamaha over them as I thought it sounded better, but maybe I was thinking that due to the lower price and the Bang for the Buck mindset?
I did like the way the Martins played, even the lower priced one for $699.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:52 AM

Please keep in mind this is Just My Opinion, but I bought a Martin GPCRSGT a few months ago and like it very much.

I played three of them, and they were all slightly different, the one I bought was not the nicest looking one, (it has what they call Bearclaw in the top wood grain), but the notes just leap off the guitar, it sounds great and is easy to play. The pickup works fine with my amp.

In trying out other brands as well as Martins, I had to play guitars over $2000 to notice much difference in tone, so unless you are ready for that this is a great Martin guitar at a good price, made in Mexico.

A Gibson (or Taylor) sounds different than a Martin. The GPCRSGT has a definite Martin sound to it. Keep that in mind, because Taylor has a similar Model if you like the Taylor sound...

VW
2016 Fender 50's Road Worn Telecaster
70's Yamaha Classical
Old 11-24-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele 2K View Post
Please keep in mind this is Just My Opinion, but I bought a Martin GPCRSGT a few months ago and like it very much.

I played three of them, and they were all slightly different, the one I bought was not the nicest looking one, (it has what they call Bearclaw in the top wood grain), but the notes just leap off the guitar, it sounds great and is easy to play. The pickup works fine with my amp.

In trying out other brands as well as Martins, I had to play guitars over $2000 to notice much difference in tone, so unless you are ready for that this is a great Martin guitar at a good price, made in Mexico.

A Gibson (or Taylor) sounds different than a Martin. The GPCRSGT has a definite Martin sound to it. Keep that in mind, because Taylor has a similar Model if you like the Taylor sound...

VW
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this response.

I was starting to worry I made a mistake and maybe I should have bought a USA made Martin for $1499 such as the DCPA4 or GPCPA4, but they look to have the same specs as the Road Series, just better electronics which isn't very important to me.

I do not like the sound of Taylors, they are too bright.
I love the Martin sound, even the lower priced DX1ARE I played sounded great, it was a dreadnought.

I am hoping the Grand Performance Body gives me enough bass.

Last edited by yell03; 11-24-2017 at 10:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion