The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
After months of visiting the physio with little improvement I've finally realised (thanks to a similar thread - but I just wanted to put this specific request out) that my significant shoulder problem is caused by playing bigger guitars (I guess I've been in denial!)

I know this is a tall order but can anybody recommend a full-sounding affordable (smaller) guitar with a narrow lower bout and not too narrow string spacing (I play 90% fingerstyle).

I'd prefer 25.5" scale but not essential.

Also, is there such a thing as a contoured lower bout, like there is on Fender electrics (Stratocaster, Jazzmaster etc.)?

I love my dreadnought and OM guitars but I know I'm just going to have to downsize, hopefully to something that gives me just as much pleasure.
Depending on your budget, how about an Avian Songbird with a Ryan style arm bevel to give you that contoured lower bout and the bevel edge that a Strat has, in a smaller guitar shape?

http://www.acousticmagazine.com/revi...nd-songbird/2/
Old 11-24-2017, 05:11 AM

Another vote for the Taylor GS mini. Incredibly comfortable and sounds lovely. Plugged in, even with the ES2 iteration of the amplification system, I find I need to enhance it (I use the BodyRez pedal), but others think it sounds fine as it is plugged in.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
A friend of a friend hurt his shoulder in a motorcycle accident, and could not play his acoustic guitars for a number of months. He normally plays fingerstyle jazz, but just couldn't quite make the switch to a solid body electric guitar. Nor could he afford, with all the medical expenses, an expensive guitar. I heard that he found what he wanted in the Godin 5th Avenue Arch top guitar. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Godin/5t...stic-Guitar.gc I don't know, of course, if this would suit you, Martie, but it might be fun to explore a bit outside the usual box.

cotten
That's a very interesting option, thanks. I've never considered anything like that. I don't like plugging acoustics in, and it's 100% for home use so I was just wondering if you know what Kind of volume those things put out?
Old 11-24-2017, 05:16 AM

Those Taylor GS minis look interesting, will definitely check those out. Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 07:36 AM

Yep GS mini is a nice guitar with a lot of wood options. I also own Martin JR it has a little more string spacing and also all solid wood. Love both of them but prefer to travel with the GS mini. Can't really go wrong with either one.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Another +1 for gs mini. Have the koa myself and I love it.

If you don't need/want electronics, I'd highly recommend the mahogany gs mini. It only comes acoustic and is quite affordable. I've seen some used one go for 300 bucks. I think 500 brand new.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerxRocks View Post
Yep GS mini is a nice guitar with a lot of wood options. I also own Martin JR it has a little more string spacing and also all solid wood. Love both of them but prefer to travel with the GS mini. Can't really go wrong with either one.
Yes, it's the string spacing that's bothering me (also with the Godin 5th Avenue, which I'm also considering). I play mainly fingerstyle and really don't like tightly packed strings. How do you find them on the guitars you mentioned? Thanks
Old 11-24-2017, 09:07 AM

The Larrivee parlor (0) and 00 guitars are great choices. My 00-09, which I bought used, is beautiful and very full-sounding. I would highly recommend them.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:14 AM

I have a Breedlove parlor that sounds great
Acoustic or plugged in. Spruce over rosewood.
About 2k.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:27 AM

I really like the older Kay and Harmony guitars once they are sorted out for a neck set, good tuners, and good fretwork. These are still surprisingly affordable. Check out forum sponsor Vintage Parlor Guitars.

The vast majority if these are quite a bit smaller than Dreads - most were GC (15") or Concert size (14") - though there are many equivalent to a Martin 0 (13").

Since you are in the UK - I would also take a look at older European guitars. Often, you can get various small body guitars made before WWII pretty cheap. Most take some work - but I am guessing that you could have them "converted" for steel strings including an adjustable trussrod, modern tuners, and X bracing for around £1000...
Old 11-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

When I read "contoured" the guitars that popped into my head were the Emeralds....check out the X7 and/or X20. Extremely comfortable to play and plenty of room for finger style. They sound better than a GS Mini, but are about 2x the price. There are a lot of other advantages with the CF construction which may be a plus too.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
The Larrivee parlor (0) and 00 guitars are great choices. My 00-09, which I bought used, is beautiful and very full-sounding. I would highly recommend them.

Beat me to it, https://www.larrivee.com/products/00-40

Slightly smaller than a Taylor GC body, has 25.5 scale, 1 3/4" nut and same string spacing as Taylor. Great volume and tone, quality manufacture and once these open up you'll be hooked on 12 frets for good. . .
Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 AM

My shoulder enjoys the CEO-7R, not so much the Dreads anymore.
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 AM

Another vote for the Martin Dread Jr. A good setup, a few years and a lot of playing time later, mine's a wonderful guitar. Spruce top.

Gazza
Old 11-24-2017, 11:07 AM

GS Mini, they are amazing little guitars,
you just have to think of them as " on their own " with their own voice and not try to compare them to other guitars. the Taylor voice still shines through, so I guess you would have to like the Taylor sound

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion