The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 02:05 AM

Default Darken White Spruce tops

I Have read and read . I have 2 DX1 type Martins with almost White Spruce tops , same look as some Canadian models . Searched all around for a quick way to darken , without getting crazy . decided against Stains , Oils , Waxs and other tonics of sorts . I Darked a very light YAM a few years ago by leaving it under a black light for about 3 months . 24/7 .. so i decided to go that route again but this time use focused ( somewhat) Fluorescent light ( Curly Q Type bulbs 100W, which seem difficult to find now ?? These Develope UV , no where near the same as outside sunlight , But they do not Heat up and seem safe to leave the guitar face pointed at couple Curly Q Type Fluorescents .24/7 about 2 feet away . After a Week I've noticed the top is darkening to a nice honey lustre . I Figure it may take about 3 months to make it look somewhat " Normal " For what it's worth . the bulbs cost nothing to run on the electric bill ... just don't like the look of a VERY BRIGHT Almost White top . Some say The Martin " X ' s Will darken faster because of NO Coating altho there is one, but extremely minimal from what I understand .

Last edited by SpiderTrap; 11-24-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Interesting, my MartinX is about four years old and it's nicely yellowed.

You should take before and after pics and post them when this is finished.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:37 AM

Sit it out on a stand facing a sunny window where it can get lots of natural sunlight on the soundboard.

UV darkens most Spruce.. Sitka moreso.

Just watch out for stuff that makes shadows.. You can end up with some funny looking sun tans on spruce tops from shadows.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post
Sit it out on a stand facing a sunny window where it can get lots of natural sunlight on the soundboard.

UV darkens most Spruce.. Sitka moreso.

Just watch out for stuff that makes shadows.. You can end up with some funny looking sun tans on spruce tops from shadows.
If you stain, then it'll be dark+dark later... not a bad look, but something to consider.

I'm with the post I've quoted... SPF ZERO!
Old 11-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post

I would add to make sure there is a fan blowing nearby to keep the guitar from getting too hot.....sounds silly, but I've done this a few times trying to reduce pickguard tan lines, and the top can get pretty hot. Also make sure you are hydrating properly (especially this time of year in certain climates)

What I would do was figure out what part of the day the sun was on the most direct line coming in the window of choice, and just leave it out for the few hours that it was the best.....then back in the case with the humidity.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:44 PM

I just bought a bunch of those curly bulbs that are supposed to be the same as sunlight- they are out there. I got mine in a Lowes..... and they are different. I'm using them as plant lights. You don't want them anywhere else....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 11-24-2017, 02:17 PM

Jusy give it 6 years on a stand in your living room.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion