The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 AM

Default Amp suitability

Hi all. I've been given this amp, 12 years old but pretty much as new in the box. I'd like to ask please if it's suitable to use with my Taylor GS Mini? If it is then I'd welcome recommendations for what settings to use on it.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:57 AM

Will it work? Of course. Will it sound good? Only your ears can tell - same as with adjustments for tone. I will note that it was probably designed primarily as an electric guitar amp, and these small Kustom amps are on the 'low end' of the fidelity scale.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-10-2017, 07:10 AM

That's an electric guitar amp. It will certainly make it louder. But, your satisfaction will depend on your ears. Some might notice a lack of high frequency information and an over abundance of mid range. But, there is no reason not to enjoy a free amp.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:48 AM

It might sound ok. Keep the gain turned fully down, fully counter clockwise unless you get no volume then only turn it up as much as necessary. At first turn the tone (eq) knobs straight up then adjust to taste. It will certainly work, whether or not you like it is another story.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I thought that maybe an acoustic through an electric amp would just always sound poor. I'll buy a cable and give it a try, if I don't like what I hear then I suppose I'll have to buy an electric to avoid wasting the amp!
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirus View Post
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I thought that maybe an acoustic through an electric amp would just always sound poor. I'll buy a cable and give it a try, if I don't like what I hear then I suppose I'll have to buy an electric to avoid wasting the amp!

Technically, you be buying an electric guitar to avoid wasting your investment in the cable. :-)
Old 08-10-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magirus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Technically, you be buying an electric guitar to avoid wasting your investment in the cable. :-)
I never thought of it like that, however it's more reasoning for my argument when I have to convince my wife that I need to buy another guitar. ;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification