The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM

Default 2013 Halcyon 000 12 Fret, All Mahogany & 2011 Thompson T-2 12 Fret Sitka/EIR

I recently acquired a versatile, comfortable, great strumming guitar that I didn't think I'd ever find at an affordable price. It's really everything I need for my humble playing skills. So, as hard as this feels, it's time to find great homes for some terrific guitars. Just can't justify having as many as are here now.

In addition to these two, I anticipate posting my Northwood OM (EIR/Engelmann Spruce) with cutaway and K&K pickup (just back from receiving my local luthier's amazing work -- all new frets, a new bone nut, and a setup), along with probably my Halcyon Parlour (Ovangkol/Lutz Spruce). If you're interested in the latter two, please send me a PM. I'm pretty fond of my short scale Webber OM with cutaway (Honduran Mahogany/Engelmann Spruce) although I have an increasing feeling it may be up for sale soon too. Still on the fence about that lovely one though.

The guitars has been stored in their cases, properly humidified during the dry season, in a smoke-free home. They have not left the house since their arrival, except for photos in the backyard at the end of last summer.

The only trade that might tempt me would involve a Caldwell or Greven (probably dreaming there). Otherwise, no trade offers please!

Halcyon 000

Purchased in August 2013, here’s what I think is a stellar example of a Halcyon 000 guitar. I am impressed with its craftsmanship.

More photos can be found here:

http://s838.photobucket.com/user/gui...?sort=3&page=1

Here are its specifications:

12-Fret
000 body
All Mahogany
Wood bindings
Ebony fingerboard and bridge (upcharge)
Bone nut and saddle (upcharge)
Gotoh 510 tuners (upcharge)
Satin finish

15” lower bout
11” upper bout
4 ¼” body depth
20 ¼” body length
39” overall length
1 ¾” nut width
2 ¼” saddle spacing
TKL OHSC (purchased separately as Halcyons don’t come with a case)

No pickup

Here’s a slideshow with audio of this same guitar (yes, it's my guitar in the video!).

This one sounded great upon arrival and sounds better today. It handles fingerpicking well, and is just fine for light to moderate strumming (not heavy shredding, but strumming on the more vigorous side of moderate). I’ve looked closely, and haven’t found any marks. If you look closely, you may find where the strings have touched the frets, but I wouldn’t call it more than a very little fret wear per se. This could be another sale that I’ll regret.

Shipping is available within the 48 contiguous United States. (Sorry, no international shipping.) Please understand that the guitar is located near Boston, Massachusetts and shipping costs can be significant. For example, I recently paid almost $90 to ship a guitar via UPS to Tennessee.

The price for this Halcyon 000 is $1,300 shipped.

Thompson T-2

Built in in 2011 by Ted Thompson, Vernon, British Columbia, Canada. Purchased new in August 2013. I think it's a fine example of superb craftsmanship and woody goodness.

Specifications:

12-Fret
East Indian Rosewood back and sides
Sitka Spruce top
Honduras Mahogany neck
Ebony fretboard and saddle
Maple bindings with Mahogany accents back, top, and fingerboard
Bone nut and saddle
Dovetail construction
Clear pick guard

10 3/8" upper bout width
8 5/8"waist width
14" lower bout width
4 ¼" depth at tail
3 ¾" depth at heel
19 ½" body length
39" full length
25 ½" scale
1 13/16" nut width
2 ¼ " string spacing at saddle

Original hard shell case included

No pickup

The neck profile is toward the slim to medium side, not chunky and not upper shallow. I generally prefer a 1 3/4" nut width, but have found this one to be manageable and comfortable.

The guitar came here with some tiny oval shaped impressions in the area below the saddle. I didn't see them until I tipped the guitar toward a window on a sunny day. Other than that, I haven't found a mark on it.

I've gone back and forth about selling this one. As much as I like it, my playing style is simply better suited for larger guitars. I've played it seldom and consequently, the frets look as close to new as I've seen on a used guitar.

Additional photos can be found here:

http://s838.photobucket.com/user/gui...?sort=3&page=1

Here's a video with it (yes, it's my guitar in the video!) being played:

The guitar is located near Boston, Massachusetts, which tends to make shipping on the high side for many destinations. That fact is reflected in the asking price:

$2,600 shipped to the continental 48 United States.

(Sorry, no international shipping.)
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248

Last edited by guitargarden; 04-03-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: add video
Old 03-24-2015, 02:15 PM

Sending this one back to the top of the listings. Looking for a good home where it will be played with enjoyment.
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 PM

I don't usually gravitate toward smaller guitars, and typically don't buy Rosewood ones, so that's saying something about this one.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Any interest on a Thursday afternoon?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:46 PM

Folks, good things do come in small packages! This model sells new for $3600 USD. They are hard to find in the used market.

Last edited by guitargarden; 03-27-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Hoping there's a new owner among the Saturday shoppers. Pleased to respond to questions about this lovely guitar.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM

How about a Sunday afternoon bump back to the top? Must be some Thompson seekers out there!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 PM

And another bump back to the top.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:42 PM

All PMs received to date have received responses. Thanks for your interest. Would like to sell these two before all the snow melts here (should be two to three weeks more!).
Old 04-01-2015, 03:29 PM

It's Wednesday, April 1st, no joke, these two guitars are for sale!
Old 04-02-2015, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Just wondering, is the Halcyon Mahogany or Sapale? Nothing wrong with either, but your photos look more like the latter. Cool guitar--have read many positive comments regarding Halcyon guitars. GLWS
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 04-02-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Just wondering, is the Halcyon Mahogany or Sapale? Nothing wrong with either, but your photos look more like the latter. Cool guitar--have read many positive comments regarding Halcyon guitars. GLWS
Transylvania,

According to the receipt I received from Bluedog Guitars, which was then a Halcyon dealer, it's "All Mahogany". Almost went for a Martin 000-15 (the newer Mahogany version), but this one trumped it to my ears, sonically speaking.

Thanks for the question!

Last edited by guitargarden; 04-02-2015 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-03-2015, 02:28 PM

Happy weekend everyone.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:02 PM

After years of looking for one guitar that's "best" for me (i.e., my ear, my style of playing, and my idea of comfort), I found one. Call it serendipity or fate, which ever it is, I'm moving toward owning just one or two guitars (well, maybe three in a moment of weakness).

Problem is, along that journey, I acquired several guitars that I like very much. I've cared for them carefully, making sure they're lovingly played, properly humidified, and carefully cradled in their cases. In fact, I like each one of them so much that the next "find" never pushed any of them out the door -- until now.

Now that I've found the "one" that suits my needs, I can no longer justify having a guitar to fit almost every size niche and my entire tonal palette. It's a simple matter of having limited time to play; plus, realistically speaking, the funds tied up by these guitars could be put to better domestic use, especially since they're not all being played very much.

So, I promised my spouse I'd clear out most of the guitars kept under the bed by summertime. Help me out here, please! It's not a fire sale, as they don't have to go.

Last edited by guitargarden; 04-06-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:57 PM

I believe that Halcyon was in Eds shop and was the one I got to play when I decided to become a dealer.
Someone buy it! One G and I was blown away. Blue dog was already tagged for it. Great instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars