The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: For a finish issue, do you get it fixed or leave it?
Yes, get it fixed. 14 25.93%
No, don't get it fixed. 22 40.74%
As always, it depends. 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2024, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Smile This

“Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x00feef00 View Post
I almost think this is worth a warranty claim with Taylor since I'm the original owner.
Give them a call or send them that photo and see what they say. If it was mine, I'd look in to fixing it.”

IMO this is almost always a cosmetic issue only and does NOT affect the playability or indicate mistreatment.

And Yes! All the above posts are correct. It is much more difficult to repair the UV. cured poly, but it can be done.

I would sent it to Taylor Repair and have them do a refresh. It will have the correct neck geometry and a fret dress and anything else needed…

Obviously check in first with the mothership. Have them put you through to Repair in El Cajon. Don’t bother talking much first to the phone drones…. Haha

It should be primo when you get it back

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-22-2024, 05:43 PM

I have a Taylor 512e 12 Fret All Mahogany that had the finish bubbling up in several places. Taylor refinised the entire guitar, it took about 2 months.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arapaho G View Post
If you want it to be undetectable then a furniture finish repair guy is the way to go. I have seen it done on furniture, but you have to find the right person. That could be difficult, depending on where you live and would probably cost at least 300.

If you want it to look "better", but still visible, then a good painter that finishes wood and deals with stain matches could do it. I was a painting contractor for over 40 years. Stained and finished a lot of wood, but I could not make your spot disappear. Sand it out, feather the edges, match the stain and refinish. Spray equipment would help. Or just leave it alone.
For a guitar repair, I would go to someone who specializes in guitar repair. YMMV.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley2004 View Post
I have a Taylor 512e 12 Fret All Mahogany that had the finish bubbling up in several places. Taylor refinised the entire guitar, it took about 2 months.
Thanks for that data point! And thanks to everyone for all your perspectives!

I went ahead and reached out to Taylor support to see if a warranty repair is an option.

It's funny, since I know a 1999 Taylor probably isn't in danger of being a desirable vintage guitar anytime soon, but I feel like 10, 20, 30 years from now it would be "don't do anything to make it non-original!".
Old 04-22-2024, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Smile Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arapaho G View Post
If you want it to be undetectable then a furniture finish repair guy is the way to go. I have seen it done on furniture, but you have to find the right person. That could be difficult, depending on where you live and would probably cost at least 300.

If you want it to look "better", but still visible, then a good painter that finishes wood and deals with stain matches could do it. I was a painting contractor for over 40 years. Stained and finished a lot of wood, but I could not make your spot disappear. Sand it out, feather the edges, match the stain and refinish. Spray equipment would help. Or just leave it alone.
Very difficult to blend the UV cured poly with anything else. As mentioned above…

If it was nitro it would MUCH more simple

Cheaper to send it to Taylor and they can fix anything it needs.

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-22-2024, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Guys that do repairs like this know that a small repair can turn into a large pain.

If it's not structural and a result of the finish aging, ain't no thing.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:04 PM

Somebody, sometime, got some thing into the neck/body joint. And Taylors have unique construction. That neck is sitting inside a cutout in the guitar sides (thanks to precise CNC techniques) and I think some liquid of some sort got pushed into that joint and the bare wood of the cutout edges drank in some of that liquid. As others have suggested, I agree a trip to the mother ship for a refresh would be best for the instrument.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:46 PM

I agree with the folks that say have Taylor fix it.

Data point:
The sides and back on my 114 got sticky.
Taylor refinished the sides and back and left the top and neck alone.
They quoted 6 weeks. It took about 4 weeks and it looks perfect.
They also said they checked the neck angle.
I paid shipping only. Good luck.

Cheers, _RP
Old 04-22-2024, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

That almost looks like an adhesion issue with the whole layer of finish along the edge of the neck joint. I wonder if removing the bolt-on neck and wicking something underneath the loose finish from the edge might be a workable approach. I've seen people glue down loose flakes of poly finishes with a similar approach, either a thinned glue CA or suitable solvent for the finish. But yes, if it's possible to have Taylor look at it that would be best, they'll know the behaviour of their own finish which is different from the nitro that many guitar repair guys know about working with.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-23-2024, 01:14 AM

This looks like a very similar repair situation by James Hood Guitar. The neck is removed for access to wick thin CA glue under the finish bubbles. There is no more information whether leveling or polishing is required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYfHPJEGAeY

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 04-23-2024, 09:43 AM

If Taylor will fix it for free then that's a no brainer, as long as you can be without it for the time required.
Old 04-23-2024, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

I can't see fixing a finish issue. My guitars have plenty even the fairly new ones. If the finish got sticky on a guitar I'd sand off the sticky part and seal the wood with linseed oil or varnish. I don't care about resale value, that'll be somebody else's problem not mine.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

I answered fix it, because I would, but there's a proviso, "'90s" could be nitrocellulose, or UV cured polyester.. it looks more like poly to me?

I'd make a sanding block for the purpose, and not aim for an invisible fix.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:43 AM

I'd leave it and play it.

I like mine original.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-24-2024, 06:53 AM

There is a reason you have a warranty. I would take advantage of that and have them look the whole thing over when there. You will be getting a brand new 20 year old guitar back. That is cool to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion