The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-17-2018, 09:48 PM

Default NGD - First Solid Body Guitar Purchase in 28 years

Hi Everybody.

Unintentional NGD here at Casa Johnny K.

Here's the pic. It's a used Asian made G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Tele. I paid a whopping 325 bucks for it and it came with a G&L gig bag. Its almost brand new, lt plays great, sounds great, has pretty good action, nice neck and it was cheap as chips. I've been looking for a Tele or Semi Hollow for some time. I am happy with my purchase so far (one whole day) and will likely unload it when I can afford a honest to goodness vintage G&L Tele. I do like them and have played a couple.

It was a fun day shopping. Really wasn't looking to buy another guitar. Was only intending to by some cables for my monitor speakers and some new drum sticks.

Stuff happens and It was hard to pass it up.

I like the color. It's almost Gretsch orange and not quite Dreamcicle.

Last edited by Johnny K; 03-17-2018 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:31 AM

Sweet! Those G&Ls are nice.

I see a Fender amp in the corner?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! Those G&Ls are nice.

I see a Fender amp in the corner?
Thank you. That is my POS Fender HOT practice amp I bought 30+ years ago. I sold my Twin Reverb about 10 years ago, but kept this JIC. It has no resale value at all. When I did use it, I plugged in that Roland TR-505 drum machine sitting on top of it for practicing.

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist, you can see behind the drums on the other side sitting on my bass amp. The Tele will play thru it, so long as I dont clip it.

I'll be looking for a new tube amp. Probably a Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe Reverb. I've heard good things. LOL
Old 03-18-2018, 06:37 AM

That's a very nice looking guitar and a bargain from what you say.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 03-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Hi Everybody.

Here's the pic. It's a used Asian made G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy Tele. I paid a whopping 325 bucks for it and it came with a G&L gig bag. Its almost brand new, lt plays great, sounds great, has pretty good action, nice neck and it was cheap as chips. I've been looking for a Tele or Semi Hollow for some time. I am happy with my purchase so far (one whole day) and will likely unload it when I can afford a honest to goodness vintage G&L Tele. I do like them and have played a couple.

It was a fun day shopping. Really wasn't looking to buy another guitar. Was only intending to by some cables for my monitor speakers and some new drum sticks.

Nice guitar! I like the color also.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Thank you. That is my POS Fender HOT practice amp I bought 30+ years ago. I sold my Twin Reverb about 10 years ago, but kept this JIC. It has no resale value at all. When I did use it, I plugged in that Roland TR-505 drum machine sitting on top of it for practicing.

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist, you can see behind the drums on the other side sitting on my bass amp. The Tele will play thru it, so long as I dont clip it.

I'll be looking for a new tube amp. Probably a Hot Rod Deville or Deluxe Reverb. I've heard good things. LOL
You can't go wrong with a good tube amp.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:49 PM

Congrats on your new G&L!!!! I think G&L guitars are seriously under-appreciated for how good they really are! Last year I bought a limited edition Legacy with a nitro finish that is great. And I've played many other G&Ls that were also great, and if yours is anything like the ones I've played it will be a keeper!
Old 03-19-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Congrats on your new G&L!!!! I think G&L guitars are seriously under-appreciated for how good they really are! Last year I bought a limited edition Legacy with a nitro finish that is great. And I've played many other G&Ls that were also great, and if yours is anything like the ones I've played it will be a keeper!
The more I read about G&L ASAT it the more I think your right. I haven't read a bad review on any G&L, even the Indonesian made Tribute line like mine. I've played a couple of vintage USA ones at the used emporium i go to one a regular basis, and aside from the price tag, there is nothing not to like.

I am gonna have to thin the acoustic herd and some cash for a decent tube amp. It plays thru my Fishman Loudbox Artist (and much to my surprise you can overdrive the Fishman) but I would rather not. LOL
Old 03-19-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You can't go wrong with a good tube amp.
Nope! I wish I still had my Twin Reverb. However, I wont be buying another. Gonna think lighter. On the Watts and the LB's. Deluxe Reverb, Hot Rod or Blues Jr., something like that.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwguitar View Post
Nice guitar! I like the color also.
Me too. I had a good ribbing at my wife's expense on that.

I want to still get a Gretsch 6120 in the classic orange. Everytime I mention it or pick up an orange Gretsch at a store she never lets is slide how much she HATES the color.

Same day, same store, I bought her a tobacco burst Gretsch Junior Jet short scale bass. She picked it too! So now she has an orange (almost) Gretsch! Oh the Irony!
Old 03-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope! I wish I still had my Twin Reverb. However, I wont be buying another. Gonna think lighter. On the Watts and the LB's. Deluxe Reverb, Hot Rod or Blues Jr., something like that.
Can totally relate. Sold my TRRI recently. Have had back surgery and the chances of me hauling that amp anywhere were nill.

Still looking for a Fender replacement. Thinking along the same lines as you. Leaning towards Hot Rod or modded Jr.

I’ve been using an Egnater Tweaker 15 head and 2-1x12 cabs. FANTASIC tone! Very versatile. Light. Reasonable price. One small tube head offering AC15, Twin, and Marshall options.

Highly underrated amps. Do they NAIL the Fender clean. Close. But they AREN’T a Fender amp. So I’ll add one of the above mentioned Fender options to the stable at some point.

But if your looking for a light weight, big bang for the buck tube amp...I’d recommend checking Egnater out.

Enjoy your new guitar! Love Teles. G&L make some great guitars.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 03-21-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Can totally relate. Sold my TRRI recently. Have had back surgery and the chances of me hauling that amp anywhere were nill.

Still looking for a Fender replacement. Thinking along the same lines as you. Leaning towards Hot Rod or modded Jr.

I’ve been using an Egnater Tweaker 15 head and 2-1x12 cabs. FANTASIC tone! Very versatile. Light. Reasonable price. One small tube head offering AC15, Twin, and Marshall options.

Highly underrated amps. Do they NAIL the Fender clean. Close. But they AREN’T a Fender amp. So I’ll add one of the above mentioned Fender options to the stable at some point.

But if your looking for a light weight, big bank for the buck tube amp...I’d recommend checking Egnater out.

Enjoy your new guitar! Love Teles. G&L make some great guitars.
I've read good things about Egnator. I will check them out. The place I go to shop used gear has few on the floor. Blackstar is another name that comes up on the low watt, big sound. Now that I have an orange guitar, I should probably look at Orange too. LOL
Old 03-21-2018, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Hi Everybody.

Ummm....not a solid body. But nice guitar
Old 03-21-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Ummm....not a solid body. But nice guitar
I know, right?

How's this? I think it's solid, but it's missing a couple of strings...

Old 03-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Nice guitar!!! I love my G&L S-500. It's very robust and gets great sounds in the studio.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars