The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-17-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
The '59 toploader configuration appeals to those who want easier/better string bends:
I had not known that. That works well for me, as I am currently working on learning some Peter Green leads, and there is certainly a fair amount of bending involved.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:26 AM

There is no comparison between US Fenders and imports. They are two totally different worlds.

There are myths to bust...that somehow if you just upgrade the electronics that some cheaper guitar is suddenly as good as the USA built. Its simply not true.

I have 4 strats and have played tons of others.

I did a review of this recently and here is how it works;

a. Bullet, best cheap Squire
b. MIM Strat....zzzzz
c. Classic Vibe Squire
d. US Special
e. US Pro/Deluxe

Knowing what I know now I would have saved a TON of money just ignoring those imports and saved for a real USA Strat.

The fret work, the materials, the sustain, the bridge, the pickups and most of all, the Gestalt of how it all works together, that is the key. You can mod for the rest of your life but never really get what a good US Strat will give you.

Cheers,.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahPa View Post
I've owned both in the Tele area. I now have two MIM Teles. Look for a good used strat or tele with the pickup configuration you want and go for it. I don't see a several hundred dollar difference between them, but to each their own.

A nice MIM and you've got a couple of hundred to put towards a nice amp.
The difference is night and day between MIM Teles and US Teles. For that matter, the Squier CV Tele actually puts both of them to the test.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
...There are myths to bust...that somehow if you just upgrade the electronics that some cheaper guitar is suddenly as good as the USA built. Its simply not true....

Knowing what I know now I would have saved a TON of money just ignoring those imports and saved for a real USA Strat.

The fret work, the materials, the sustain, the bridge, the pickups and most of all, the Gestalt of how it all works together, that is the key. You can mod for the rest of your life but never really get what a good US Strat will give you.

Cheers,.
This kind of question is frequently raised, but the real question may be a little different. I think the real question is not whether there is a difference between less and more expensive guitars but instead are those differences actually discernible to a particular consumer on a budget. A second question is are those differences quantifiable (probably not) in terms of dollars and cents. Clearly the answer to that is it totally depends on the individual.

Some players CAN swap pickups on a Fender MIM and get the instrument that meets their needs while other, perhaps more discerning buyers/players, will always be able to detect the differences that Davis listed.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-18-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

I've owned several of both and love both. At the moment I have only MIM Fenders, and am very happy with them, but sometime next month I am going to get a new American Professional Telecaster. American Fenders are a piece of history and I want another one. Life is too short to not have the instrument I truly want. The MIA Fenders I have owned in the past were not really the ones my heart desired, but I acquired them because I got great deals on them. The next one I get will be my lifetime keeper.

The American Fenders are the ones I prefer for sure, and I like everything about them better, except for the price tag...The MIM Fenders are great instruments and though I definitely prefer the Americans, I don't believe they are so superior as the price difference....Still, I'm going to get one. LOL
Old 03-22-2018, 11:06 AM

You can make a great sound with a Fender or Squier guitar built anywhere. I would not say that any factory location guarantees anything regarding satisfaction.

I've owned just about all of the countries of origin. Playing time, enjoyment, need for modifications, validity and usefulness of sound, have no correlation to where they were made.

Leo Fender's classic designs make maintenance and parts swapping easy, so hot-rodders love the Tele and Strat. This is a feature, not a bug. But many of my MIM and Asian factory Fender's and Squires remained unmodified. My favorite MIA Tele is a MIA American neck on a 52 Reissue. Mods of course do not add marketplace value, but they can make for player enjoyment and a "do it yourself" custom shop experience at a lower cost.

Pickups are by far the greatest part of an electric guitar's sound. A variety of pickups with a variety of sounds are sold from each of the Fender associated factories. This huge variety makes generalizing about an Fender MIA sound vs MIM or MIJ and so on sound very inexact.

Bob Womack's statement about necks and what feels best is sage advice. And again, the various models from various Fender factories vary. Leo Fender designs allow neck swapping, but for a first purchase it makes sense to buy the neck feel you think you'd like right off.

I agree with Bob Womack's conclusion (that MIA is clearly the way to go) more with Gibson designs and models more than I do in regards to the Fender universe.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 03-22-2018 at 08:45 PM. Reason: edited for clarity on hot rodding as a DIY "custom shop"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars